• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Master Pyraminx Discussion

APdRF

WCA
2011FIOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just got mine today and it's really fun! And there's no thread for this one so... :p

What method do you use? To explain my method, lets first name the pieces:

y6yXwe.png

The AP-1 Method:
1. Solve the 3 Edges surrounding a Tri-Center
2. Adjust the other 3 Tri-Centers
3. Solve the 3 remaining Edges with a Pyraminx L3E alg
4. Solve the Wings from a layer
5. Solve the last 6 Wings
6. Solve the centers

I'm averaging sub-1:10 with a PB of 56 seconds, just with 25 solves :p Do you know where to get scrambles for this puzzle?

Best regards,
Alberto

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just got mine today and it's really fun! And there's no thread for this one so... :p

What method do you use? To explain my method, lets first name the pieces:

y6yXwe.png

The AP-1 Method:
1. Solve the 3 Edges surrounding a Tri-Center
2. Adjust the other 3 Tri-Centers
3. Solve the 3 remaining Edges with a Pyraminx L3E alg
4. Solve the Wings from a layer
5. Solve the last 6 Wings
6. Solve the centers

I'm averaging sub-1:10 with a PB of 56 seconds, just with 25 solves :p Do you know where to get scrambles for this puzzle?

Best regards,
Alberto
My method is pretty similar I've only done like 10 solve tho, my best is 1:34.

rumarfer28

I solve like a pyraminx, but taking care of the centers while puting the last 3 edges. You must have all the centers placed or none in order to avoid parity. I solve the pyraminx layer by layer, so it's easy to me, if I have 3 centers misplaced I turn the last layer and then I can solve the pyraminx. After finishing this step, I can have the centers solved or need 2 swapes, that I solve by down-down-up-up three times.

After that I use simple 3-cycles to solve the edges. You only need three moves each cycle with some setups (1 or 2 moves, nothing crazy).

It takes me 50 seconds to 1:10 to solve it.

APdRF

WCA
2011FIOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
>Layer
>Tri-Centres
>Wings
>Centres

And what's your avg?

I solve like a pyraminx, but taking care of the centers while puting the last 3 edges. You must have all the centers placed or none in order to avoid parity. I solve the pyraminx layer by layer, so it's easy to me, if I have 3 centers misplaced I turn the last layer and then I can solve the pyraminx. After finishing this step, I can have the centers solved or need 2 swapes, that I solve by down-down-up-up three times.

After that I use simple 3-cycles to solve the edges. You only need three moves each cycle with some setups (1 or 2 moves, nothing crazy).

It takes me 50 seconds to 1:10 to solve it.

I've never tried the down-down-up-up for the two two-cycles! Hahaha, so obvious now

bubbagrub

WCA
2013COPP01
I solved it the way I solved pyraminx at the beginning -- solve a face, then pick another face and solve that. Repeat until it's all solved. In this case, it was all solved but with centres needing to be swapped. You can swap all four centres using three sledge-hammers (like on a skewb) but if you have three wrong centres, you can solve them using the clockwise edge cycle algorithm for pyraminx -- R U' R' U' R U' R'.

I guess this is a super-inefficient way to solve it, but it was entirely intuitive for me.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I start with edge pairing (pairing edges with wings, which I'll refer to as complete edges) by getting 3 complete edges on the bottom. Then I pair the final 3 complete edges in the top layer. This is all intuitive. Then, I solve like a Pyraminx, and end by fixing centers. I average a bit over a minute but was able to get a pretty lucky 45.81 PB.

APdRF

WCA
2011FIOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I start with edge pairing (pairing edges with wings, which I'll refer to as complete edges) by getting 3 complete edges on the bottom. Then I pair the final 3 complete edges in the top layer. This is all intuitive. Then, I solve like a Pyraminx, and end by fixing centers. I average a bit over a minute but was able to get a pretty lucky 45.81 PB.

That's an interesting method, I'll try it when I get back home :)

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have one now, and have made some method developments:
Solve a face minus a wing
Tri-centres
Use the gap to solve all but 3 wings
Solve these wings (easy)
Centres

I'm averaging about 40-50 with this, PB is 24.66

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
better link edit: https://alexmaass.github.io/MasterPyraminxScrambler/MPS.html
simple random scrambler I made with the help of code from qqTimer
kinda badly explained notation: http://i.imgur.com/u58J6sq.png

I think 42 moves (not including tips) is a reasonable amount of moves to scramble the puzzle, plus it is the answer to life of course

I don't have a physical master pyraminx yet (should be tomorrow) so can anyone test this out to see how good the scrambles are? when I hopefully get mine tomorrow, I'll be able to make a better notation guide and some more finetuning

Last edited:

APdRF

WCA
2011FIOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
https://jsfiddle.net/8czzaboz/
simple random scrambler I made with the help of code from qqTimer
kinda badly explained notation: http://i.imgur.com/u58J6sq.png

I think 42 moves (not including tips) is a reasonable amount of moves to scramble the puzzle, plus it is the answer to life of course

I don't have a physical master pyraminx yet (should be tomorrow) so can anyone test this out to see how good the scrambles are? when I hopefully get mine tomorrow, I'll be able to make a better notation guide and some more finetuning

That's interesting! A pity I don't have mine until 10th of January :(

Good times qqwref!

fabdabs1234

WCA
2014SCHW02
i got one a few weeks ago and have been averaging between 30 and 35 with a lucky single of 16.31. My method is: layer (doesnt need the centre) -> edges -> centres -> wings. sonetimes i solve centres and edges together.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Well I guess since nobody else has bumped this thread in a while I will:)

The reason for this bump is I am wondering if there is a scrambler for the Master Pyraminx on not. Like, for the UWR master Pyraminx times, were the scrambles hand scrambles or not? If there is a online scrambler for it could someone please link it since I can not find it? Thanks.

Lastly, If there is no online scrambler for it, do you think that using a standard Pyraminx scramble would work? Like, one scramble for the wide moves, and a second scramble for the small moves, and then using the tips on one of the scrambles? Thanks

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i got one a few weeks ago and have been averaging between 30 and 35 with a lucky single of 16.31. My method is: layer (doesnt need the centre) -> edges -> centres -> wings. sonetimes i solve centres and edges together.
Exactly what I do, but since I have only done about 10 solves I don't use any fixed algorithms except the obvious ones (F-sexy-F', sune, DDUU) and use simple commutators for the wings.
It took me a few solves to actually understand how the first-layer edges moved

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
(casual 1+ year bump incoming)

I've been thinking a bit about master pyraminx solving recently, and I wanted to share the method that I use for this puzzle. I find it very easy to execute, and if you're fast at pyraminx (unlike me), you can leverage that skill after reducing the puzzle to a pyraminx. See my video below:

Algs from Video said:
1) Rw' D Rw' -- flip a edge set in place
2) (Rw' Lw Rw Lw')3 -- 2+2 center swap
3) R Lw' R' Rw Lw Rw Lw' R' Rw Lw Rw -- clockwise 3-center cycle
4) L' Rw L Lw' Rw' Lw' Rw L Lw' Rw' Lw' -- anti-clockwise 3-center cycle

The tl;dw version of my method: pair edges/wings, solve the reduced pyraminx, centers. I've been practicing the event for fun and have been able to get down to about 35 seconds with a few singles sub 25, and I've been using this for just about a week now.

I don't think this method is terribly novel, but I do think it's pretty powerful for how little you need to learn. The main thing that I have contributed is the 3-cycle algs - I couldn't find any good ones online, so I used ksolve to generate these. There were numerous 11 move optimal algs ksolve generated, and all were 2-gen! If anyone is interested in the full list of options, let me know, but I believed these to be the most ergonomic.

I've thought about how this method could be Yau'd: make a V, then pair the remaining edges, and start your pyra stage with a V already set up. However, I've run into a fairly major problem: the 3 move flip alg I use in my pyreduction method will break the V in any angle. I tried playing around to see if I could come up with a good flip alg that would not break a V, but I couldn't find one that was short enough. Given how many times you need to flip the edge, the possible benefits of starting with a V are seemingly outweighed by this, as well as the restriction of solving your first two wings in a V. If anyone has any ways to address these problems, I'd be happy to discuss them! The main efficiencies I've been trying instead now are to start making a couple 2/3-edges before inserting the third edge into the bottom layer so that the last 3 edges are quick.

The natural advanced extension to this would be to have some sort of alg set for doing the last 3 edges of the pyra solve along with the 4 centers. There would be a total of 143 cases for this, if I am thinking about that correctly (12*12-1). Definitely not going to spend time on that for a non-official puzzle, but it seems to be the natural advanced extension to this method.

Last edited:
C

Cubinwitdapizza

(casual 1+ year bump incoming)

I've been thinking a bit about master pyraminx solving recently, and I wanted to share the method that I use for this puzzle. I find it very easy to execute, and if you're fast at pyraminx (unlike me), you can leverage that skill after reducing the puzzle to a pyraminx. See my video below:

The tl;dw version of my method: pair edges/wings, solve the reduced pyraminx, centers. I've been practicing the event for fun and have been able to get down to about 35 seconds with a few singles sub 25, and I've been using this for just about a week now.

I don't think this method is terribly novel, but I do think it's pretty powerful for how little you need to learn. The main thing that I have contributed is the 3-cycle algs - I couldn't find any good ones online, so I used ksolve to generate these. There were numerous 11 move optimal algs ksolve generated, and all were 2-gen! If anyone is interested in the full list of options, let me know, but I believed these to be the most ergonomic.

I've thought about how this method could be Yau'd: make a V, then pair the remaining edges, and start your pyra stage with a V already set up. However, I've run into a fairly major problem: the 3 move flip alg I use in my pyreduction method will break the V in any angle. I tried playing around to see if I could come up with a good flip alg that would not break a V, but I couldn't find one that was short enough. Given how many times you need to flip the edge, the possible benefits of starting with a V are seemingly outweighed by this, as well as the restriction of solving your first two wings in a V. If anyone has any ways to address these problems, I'd be happy to discuss them! The main efficiencies I've been trying instead now are to start making a couple 2/3-edges before inserting the third edge into the bottom layer so that the last 3 edges are quick.

The natural advanced extension to this would be to have some sort of alg set for doing the last 3 edges of the pyra solve along with the 4 centers. There would be a total of 143 cases for this, if I am thinking about that correctly (12*12-1). Definitely not going to spend time on that for a non-official puzzle, but it seems to be the natural advanced extension to this method.
What cube do you use?