• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Marcell's declaration

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That sounds odd, as R2 is not a 3-cycle method but a 2-cycle method.

Misunderstood. Recently I try to learn 3-cycles (Noah's tutorials), but they are really hard; constructing the suitable commutator requires way too much thinking for me. Therefore I doubt they worth all the trouble. I just say if you think 15s is not bad for R2, maybe I should stay with my method (Boomerang), since it is also near 15s for me. Should focus on memorization instead of learning a new method.

MatejMuzatko

WCA
2013MUAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You have shown me that you don't have to be nerd to do 26/29 multiBLD :)
You have inspired lots of people to start blindsolving :)
You have achieved all you wanted to achieve :)

I think that if it was so stressful for you, this is reasonable step :) I hope you will come back after a break :)
Good luck. :)

Angel Lim

WCA
2013LIMA01
Thank you for being my biggest BLD inspiration. I have looked up to you ever since I started doing BLD and whenever I hit plateaus. Congratulations on all of your accomplishments and good luck in your future endeavors. You have made in BLD what everyone thought impossible, possible, hence pushing everyone even harder.

In terms of tutorials, I would like to see how you deal with parity on 3BLD, and suggestions on how you would deal with it if you had the buffers UBL and DF xD. (Besides the U'F2U.. stuff) Also, how to stay as relaxed as you were (or at leasted looked) at wc.

Again, congrats on your accomplishments and good luck in the future!

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Marcell, you are really one of the best cubers of all time! I sincerely invite you to play the four dimensional cube:

http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

And one day solve it BLD. Nobody has ever done that to the best of my knowledge. And if anyone can do it, it's you!

As a reasonably fast BLD solver and FMC WR holder for the 3^4, I'm in a position to suggest that you might see this one day. Marcell could do it faster though, if he wanted to.

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
Thanks you guys, really :)

I think I would be interested in a short video or post that describes how you progressed to your current memory method. I am almost certain that you have tried may different ways of using images and locations before you started using sentences the way that you do now and the development of what you "didn't like" would probably be very helpful.
Sure, I can do that.

Please make a tutorial "How to memorize 4x4 in sub-1 and 5x5 in two minutes". Hope it will consist of more than one word "Practice".
Oh, and your tps is amazing! How did you achieve it?
Lots and lots of sighted solves.
And are you just kidding about the big bld memo or should I really sum up some thoughts?

I sincerely invite you to play the four dimensional cube: http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm
And one day solve it BLD.
Wow, that's quite a challenge! I'll look into it.

If you have the time, can you make a tutorial on R2? I haven't found any good tutorials out there, other than the one on Pochmann's website. If you could make a video tutorial, that'd be awesome :D
Will do if I have the time.

In terms of tutorials, I would like to see how you deal with parity on 3BLD, and suggestions on how you would deal with it if you had the buffers UBL and DF xD. (Besides the U'F2U.. stuff) Also, how to stay as relaxed as you were (or at leasted looked) at wc.
Did I look relaxed? Well, that's not exactly how I felt, but I guess it shows that I was heading in the right direction. I have always been having problems with my nerves at comps, so I seeked the help of a professional sport therapist before the WC. He taught me relaxation techniques and similar stuff which helped me a lot - you might wanna look into that.
I'll make a tutorial about parity.

Gosh dangit Marcell I was gonna get you to sign my cube at worlds but I missed you :(
I'll still meet Hungarian cubers who go to foreign comps - I'm sure we can arrange something.

Are you still going to compete for speed?
Not sure... But I've been doing nothing but speed solves since Vegas :)

I think I'll just post all the stuff I make in this thread, so check back every once in a while.

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for sharing!

Lots and lots of sighted solves.
Do you mean solves with 3-cycles with eyes open, or just normal sighted solves (CFOP, Yau, free slice etc)?

And are you just kidding about the big bld memo or should I really sum up some thoughts?
Please sum up some thoughts, because I think I've reached my memo speed limit that cannot be overcomed just by trainings. And anyway, it can be helpful to other people too.

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
Do you mean solves with 3-cycles with eyes open, or just normal sighted solves (CFOP, Yau, free slice etc)?
I meant 3-cycles with eyes open.

Please sum up some thoughts, because I think I've reached my memo speed limit that cannot be overcomed just by trainings. And anyway, it can be helpful to other people too.
Oh, ok.
-Get a good memo system. Sort out your letter pairs, get comfortable with your words and sentences or images or whatever you use.
-Choose a good order to memorise the pieces. Find the one that works the best for you. For me it always worked like: a linear part of most pieces, and then a short-term memory part for the rest. I solved those first, then went through the linear part just like I memorised it. For 5BLD I left edges and corners to the short-term part and memorised the rest as the linear part. In 4BLD the wings were the linear part, centers and corners went to short-term memory.
-For 4BLD: realise that the amount of information you're memorising is really not that much. If it is, you're doing something wrong, and probably your memo system is to blame. You should really compress your memo, there's no time for verbosity. Rehearse as little as possible, and definitely only trace the pieces once. Since wing memo is a bit lengthy, I used to forget how it started by the time I got to the end and had to re-trace the first few pairs - so I started doing mini-rehearsals after the first 8 pairs of wings, and this way I could remember it all at the and and was still much better off than as if I went back to find some wings again.
Learn how to recognise whether you have covered all wings or there are some missing. More on this later.
Learn how to quickly find a good orientation. My rule of thumb is: choose a side you don't like shooting centers to - D, B, you name it. Now when starting a solve, you can instantly tell if it has a real good orientation. If so, go with it. If not, you have like 2 seconds to fixate the side you chose before to its correct position, and then choose the best of the remaining 4 possibilities. Remember, you lose much more time looking for the best orientation than by memoing one or two extra center pairs.
-For 5BLD: realise that you're rehearsing way too much. Rehearse less. Also, really try and connect the stories of different piece types. In general, you should always make your memo coherent, connected and continuous (in the linear part).
-When disturbed by the memo of previous attempts, try to set some themes for your stories. I started doing this for 5BLD: the first memo was to be very weird and funny, the second to be a bloodshed, the third very sexual - this covered the "best of 3", but I had some other themes as well (frightening, disguisting etc).
-If you find yourself forgetting the very beginning of your memo (or your memo for a specific piece type), use alternative ways to memo the first few pairs - remember the position of the pieces or even touch them, imagine writing down the first two letter pairs or maybe typing them, imagine the hand motion associated with the first few comms, say the beginning out loud etc.

Also, try to make your memo rhythmic. I honestly don't know if this works out for others as well or just me, but it definitely helped me a lot. What I mean by this is that even though I didn't use a strict PAO or similar system that would structure the words in my memo, I still kind of grouped my words in groups of four. Or not - let's say I used the word 'doctor' as the substitue for the letter pair DT at some point, but some time later I would memo 'doctor' to mean 'DC TR'. If if memorised with images I never would've been able to tell these two apart, but by giving a rhythm to my sentences, I always knew if a word stood for one or two letter pairs. So I could keep the freedom of my memo and still note the structure of it, which helped me a lot when it came to counting the cycles targets in my wing memo. This way I didn't really have to count, my memo groups made the number of targets I have already covered clear. Then again, this might be a bad idea and it's very much possible that this slowed me down during multi.

Well, this started out by stating the obvious but I guess I managed to put some valuable tips in there as well. Hope it helps!

You're still gonna go to prom with Noah Arthurs though, right?
Sure thing.

Last edited: