• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

I'm A Cuber

I have a Gan RS, a YLM, a Cubicle Strong magnet kit (1x5 N48), and a Cubicle Lite magnet kit (1x4 N48). Any suggestions on what I should do, preferably from someone who has magnetized a cube using the Cubicle kit? (Lite in RS, Lite in YLM, One type in corners, the other type in the edges, etc.)

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a Gan RS, a YLM, a Cubicle Strong magnet kit (1x5 N48), and a Cubicle Lite magnet kit (1x4 N48). Any suggestions on what I should do, preferably from someone who has magnetized a cube using the Cubicle kit? (Lite in RS, Lite in YLM, One type in corners, the other type in the edges, etc.)
Both of those cubes are pretty fast but the YLM is much more stable than the RS so the RS would benefit more from the strong magnet kit. Strong for RS, Lite for YLM

SaMn37

So,

I was thinking about buying a bunch of magnets and taking on the project to magnetize at least a 3x3 and a 5x5, maybe try out something random. So what kind of magnets should I get?

Kewbz UK for example got these:

N48: 3x1, 4x1, 5x1, 4x1.5, 4x2
N35: 4x5

Cube wise I'm thinking QiYi Warrior W (I really like it, feels fast without magnets already. Which ones would be good alternatives?

Also I'm thinking i could butcher and magnetize my old V Cube 5. Alternatives for that welcome as well. Which of the above mentioned magnets should I use for a 5x5 and why?

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have you tried the warrior S, it's an updated version of the warrior W and is a pretty nice overlooked budget cube, it's practically unpoppable at stock tensions but still manages to turn decently and have good corner cutting, I have had one magnetized and it's pretty nice. Ultimately magnetizing cubes these days is pretty pointless, most are done by the factory, the recent release of the meilong M line basically killed all reason to magnetize cubes yourself. If you want to though then why not, the QiYi warrior W has quite thickish plastic so you won't need something too strong, our 4x1.5s will do fine: https://speedcubing.org/products/4x1-5mm-magnets

SaMn37

Have you tried the warrior S, it's an updated version of the warrior W and is a pretty nice overlooked budget cube, it's practically unpoppable at stock tensions but still manages to turn decently and have good corner cutting, I have had one magnetized and it's pretty nice. Ultimately magnetizing cubes these days is pretty pointless, most are done by the factory, the recent release of the meilong M line basically killed all reason to magnetize cubes yourself. If you want to though then why not, the QiYi warrior W has quite thickish plastic so you won't need something too strong, our 4x1.5s will do fine: https://speedcubing.org/products/4x1-5mm-magnets

On your site.. Why don't you tell what strength the magnets are? And how many magnets is that for the 2,95€? Product description?

I'll consider QiYi Warrior S, thanks.

And yes it is basically "pointless", but who buys a 2000-piece puzzle that's already assembled? I want to magnetize some cubes for the fun of magnetizing them.

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
On your site.. Why don't you tell what strength the magnets are? And how many magnets is that for the 2,95€? Product description?

I'll consider QiYi Warrior S, thanks.

And yes it is basically "pointless", but who buys a 2000-piece puzzle that's already assembled? I want to magnetize some cubes for the fun of magnetizing them.
Sadly our supplier didn't give a strength but I'm pretty sure they are standard N35, it's 50 magnets in each set.

SaMn37

QiYi warrior W has quite thickish plastic so you won't need something too strong
Doesn't that mean it needs stronger magnets? The thicker the plastic the further apart the magnets are, thus needing stronger magnets for the same effect.

I think I might go with the N48 4x2 and 4x1,5 and experiment with those.

Besides the QiYi Warrior W and QiYi Warrior W, which 3x3 would you recommend?

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Doesn't that mean it needs stronger magnets? The thicker the plastic the further apart the magnets are, thus needing stronger magnets for the same effect.

You may need stronger magnets although I don't think it's that thick, I don't really remember I just know it's thicker than the meilong plastic.
For other recommendations I would recommend the meilong 3x3, obviously there is now a factory magnetic version so you won't be saving much by doing it yourself but it's a good one to try since a magnetic meilong is a really nice cube.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel

I second @cuber314159 with the Meilong recommendation. It's a very nice puzzle, especially if you like a fast and soft cube. The RS3M 2020 is also something to look out for but its magnets are very weak so if you pick it up from TC they offer a extra set of magnets to make the magnets stronger in the RS3M 2020. If you want something less soft and harsher then the WuWei M and MS are great options.

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I second @cuber314159 with the Meilong recommendation. It's a very nice puzzle, especially if you like a fast and soft cube. The RS3M 2020 is also something to look out for but its magnets are very weak so if you pick it up from TC they offer a extra set of magnets to make the magnets stronger in the RS3M 2020. If you want something less soft and harsher then the WuWei M and MS are great options.
I would definitely recommend the extra magnets to make it slightly stronger, that's why we are just giving them away with all RS3Ms ordered at the moment.
Do you mean the Qiyi Warrior W and the Qiyi Warrior S?
I assume it's just autocorrect being stupid, and to warn you now: do not erase Google keyboard data from your phone, if you do then suddenly valk will start autocorrecting to ball and call and all that rubbish and it gets really annoying.

I'm A Cuber

You may need stronger magnets although I don't think it's that thick, I don't really remember I just know it's thicker than the meilong plastic.
For other recommendations I would recommend the meilong 3x3, obviously there is now a factory magnetic version so you won't be saving much by doing it yourself but it's a good one to try since a magnetic meilong is a really nice cube.
I third the meilong recommendation