• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Looking for suggestions on magnet strength and placement (i.e. which pieces to place them in) for an MF9 9x9. Looking for something similar to a Yufu or Spark in terms of magnetic feel.
I did an MF8 with pretty strong magnets, I’d be happy to make a rundown of what I used there if that would help. It was a mix of 4x1, 4x1.5, and 4x2, with 3x1.5 in the corners.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
can you magnetize a cube with two different types of magnets?
I have x man bell magnets and regular 1.5mm magnets
would it work?
I mean, yes. It would just create a magnet strength in between the two types. The Valk Power has 4x1.5 in the corner and 4x2 in the edges for example. But make sure to spread them evenly, or it’ll cause an uneven feel, and your cube to become non-WCA legal (I think)

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
can you magnetize a cube with two different types of magnets?
I have x man bell magnets and regular 1.5mm magnets
would it work?
Yes, it will work. If you're going to do this, you'll want the edges to all have exactly the same magnets and the corners to all be exactly the same.

That said, Bell magnets are 6x3 N52 magnets - waaaaaaay too strong for a 3x3.

LiquidDirt

I bought a mf3rs2 from D-FantiX but apparently got the Moyu Meilong 3x3 instead. What magnets do you think are good in the Meilong 3x3 because I might magnetize it. On YouTube someone used N52 but I think those are too heavy. Thanks

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I bought a mf3rs2 from D-FantiX but apparently got the Moyu Meilong 3x3 instead. What magnets do you think are good in the Meilong 3x3 because I might magnetize it. On YouTube someone used N52 but I think those are too heavy. Thanks
I put in 4x2 N35 from Aliexpress, which gives a pretty strong click. And another one I put in 4x1,5 N35 which is a more subtle feel, but both work. I use the strong version for 3BLD and the medium version for 3x3x3.

Also: They don't make mf3rs2 anymore, so there's a small change you can still buy it anywhere.

VIBE_ZT

WCA
2018TRUD02
Hi all, I've been curious in the prospect of putting magnets into non-WCA puzzles for a while now.

I have made a magnetic Shengshou Kilominx in the past, but I made way too many mistakes we won't talk about here..

Do you think it would be possible to install magnets into a Master Pyraminx? I'm honestly unsure how to know if it is possible due to polarity and how the pieces interact with each other, but I'd definitely be willing to give it a shot if it was possible.

I have also had a thought or two about a magnetic or semi-magnetic Curvy Copter, but I am sure that success would be unlikely, if even possible due to the myriad of jumbling moves that can be performed on the puzzle.

Mirror Blocks may be a good challenge, but the magnets needed would have to be TINY for all those little pieces, especially the smallest edge and corner, which I'm honestly unsure have removable caps or not.

Idk. Just something to think about. Definitely a fun prospect, whether doable or not.