• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Lock Up Help

WCA
2010MINE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, i was just wondering what actually caused a cube to lock up.

Is it the physical shape of the pieces?
Or is is the tension of the springs being too loose?

And does anyone know any good mods to help stop this on a cube4you diy type a?

Thanks

It is just when pieces catch on eachother. The shape of the pieces can reduce or add lockups, and a loose tension will also add lockups.

IV

Hi, i was just wondering what actually caused a cube to lock up.

Is it the physical shape of the pieces?
Or is is the tension of the springs being too loose?

And does anyone know any good mods to help stop this on a cube4you diy type a?

Thanks

Both, and also your overall skill at turning strait.
My FII locks up if too loose and not turned strait... but if I keep the tension to where I feel more comfortable, it barely ever does.

My original Rubik's brand cube locks up almost as if it was made to do it. I've noticed that the shape of the pieces has a lot to do with it locking up, as they have the tendency to collide into eachother on some turns... I've deduced that sanding the peices smooth or round would solve this issue... making the pieces resemble my FII more.

puzzlemaster

WCA
2008LAUD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The springs as well as the shape of the piece contribute. The Dayan GuHong's pieces are shaped for minimal resistance and as a result, it locks up very little even on tight tensions. The F-II is also very good but if the tension is too loose or too tight, the cube will lock up. Both contribute however the shape of the piece is probably a greater factor.

cubingpwnage

Maru 4x4 Help please. Lock Ups, Core is breaking.

Okay so i'm sick of my maru 4x4. i've tightened it to reduce lock-ups and misalignment but after i solved it a couple times, the core broke and went everywhere. i superglued the core peice back on and it worked really good for about 2 days but now the core cocmes out of alignment about 3 times every solve and i have it really tight. I've tried loosening it but that makes it worse. and now, THE CORE PEICE BROKE OFF AGAIN. so im in the process of glueing it back on but any other tips? and if not whats a better 4x4 that wont do this? :mad: :mad: :mad:

257438991.jpg

257439484.jpg

257439850-db85a81756081a9b8e8e96a7fba0275a.4d7d6188-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Mikon

It locks like crazy!
I have it for 3 days and didn't stop solving it for these past 3 days... it seems a little better.
My other cube, a Dayan, pops like crazy but is much more enjoyable to solve.

Still, I don't know if its their normal, or if the time to break in these cubes are that time consuming...

Hays

WCA
2009HAYS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maru's do eventually wear out over time and their non-locking mechanism does start to fail. The first Maru I had I got around July and it started to stop working well in around November. Although my first one isn't as bad as yours, it lock up only like once every 5 solves. The only thing I can recommend is to simply buy a new one. I just did and mine works great.

uigrad

Maru 4x4 lockups

My Maru cube has begun to lockup on a regular basis.

When it first happened, I took the thing apart, and put it back together to fix it. That was a major pain.

Now, I've figured out that the problem is because the centers of the faces don't stay in sync with the hidden cube centers. Basically, one ring of 4 cube centers is rotated 45 degrees from the internal core. I've found that I can fix it by gripping tightly with one hand while turning.

But, it happens all the time. I'm constantly fighting the cube now while solving, but never had to much in the past.

Is there some kind of solution for this?

By the way, I've never sanded or lubed this cube.

dabest2500

You mean it misaligned?
I've read that this happens a lot with Maru 4x4s, I've had mine for a month and it's only happened twice.
But then again, I solve my 4x4 about 25 times a week.

radmin

WCA
2010HARD02
I'd tighten it. There are 2 clips attached to the core that are supposed to prevent miss alignment. If the tension is too loose they won't work. Lube will just make it slip even more.
FYI Shegshou has 4 clips. I never use Maru anymore.

uigrad

I'd tighten it. There are 2 clips attached to the core that are supposed to prevent miss alignment. If the tension is too loose they won't work. Lube will just make it slip even more.
FYI Shegshou has 4 clips. I never use Maru anymore.

I saw the 2 clips when I took it apart. It seems like they prevent lockups when turning around 2 of the 3 axis. It seems like there should be at least 3 clips for that idea to work. :(

I applied some silicon spray, and the misalignment lockups still occur. I might try tightening it, but it already seems tight, so I don't think that is it.

Thanks for the info about Shengshou. I may check it out.

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
TERRIBLE LOCK UP WITTWO HELP

I just got a terrible lock up in my 2x2 TYpe C. It can't turns. Please help me :(:( I dissasseble it and then assemble, but its still like that. Pls make a video how to fix this or something

yoinneroid

WCA
2010UTOM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just got a terrible lock up in my 2x2 TYpe C. It can't turns. Please help me :(:( I dissasseble it and then assemble, but its still like that. Pls make a video how to fix this or something

you fail to assemble it correctly, check the 3 edges which supposed to lock a corner and keeps the 2x2 from misalignment, don't just put those edges randomly
this problem once took me hours to figure out XD

Last edited by a moderator:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guhong and torps... What's causing lockups?

I've now taken out the anchors because I don't like the new feel anyway. But I was just wondering.

Why does the guhong lock up more with torps than without? They seem too big but where does it catch? I initially thought it was the side edge but after sanding only minimal effect. I'm not asking in OAQT because I want multiple opinions/solutions.

Also why does it lose that nice 'guhongy' feel? (you know what I mean right, it seems vague but there's a distinct feel). When I add torps it feels too zhanchi(yes that's an adjective)

Last edited: