• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Let me introduce myself

Zane Gentry

Hello Everyone,

Glad to be a part of this community. I am not fast at solving cubes, but I would love to be fast; hence joining the forum. My plan is read every tip I can find and try to go to the next level. I have been solving cubes for years, but only recently found out that in the world of speed cubing I am called a "newbie". This was told to me by my boys who, this year learned to solve a 3x3 and began racing at their school.

Here are the cubes I solve and an average solve time for each.

2x2 - 50s
3x3 - 56s
4x4 - 3m 25s
5x5 - 9m 12s

Now as far as my newbie status, I have only been using Rubik's branded cubes until this week when I got a YuXin 5x5. It's awesome I might add. I have also just purchased a Moyu Aofu GT 7X7 and a YuXin 4x4 (which I hope to see arriving at my door next week)

I feel like I am heading in the right direction any way. What do you all think of my purchase choices on the new cubes?

Regards All

Zane

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
Welcome!!!!!
How long have you been cubing? I got sub-1:00 global in about 2 months, so that's why I'm asking.
And the Aofu GT is undeniably THE best 7x7 out there. As for the YuXin 4x4, I know a lot of people prefer the MoYu AoSu, but I prefer the YuXin. I'd also advise getting a better 2x2 (I recommend the Yuxin because it's inexpensive and is smooth right out of the box), and maybe getting a good 3x3 (QiYi Sails are great for beginners), but you're on the right track with 4x4 and 7x7. :p

Zane Gentry

Welcome!!!!!
How long have you been cubing? I got sub-1:00 global in about 2 months, so that's why I'm asking.
And the Aofu GT is undeniably THE best 7x7 out there. As for the YuXin 4x4, I know a lot of people prefer the MoYu AoSu, but I prefer the YuXin. I'd also advise getting a better 2x2 (I recommend the Yuxin because it's inexpensive and is smooth right out of the box), and maybe getting a good 3x3 (QiYi Sails are great for beginners), but you're on the right track with 4x4 and 7x7. :p

Great, I feel more confident in my purchases. I'll be replacing my 2x2 for sure per your suggestion. I have been able to solve a 3x3 and a 4x4 for three or four years, but I didn't realize that there was anything else out there to use than the clunky Rubik's cube brand. My Son bought a dayan zhanchi 3x3 and opened my eyes to better cubes. So over the last week I learned to do a 5x5 and ordered the replacement 4x4 plus I wanted to try the 7x7 so I ordered it too.

I only have been timing myself using my own cubes, and that has been just this week. Before I was just solving for solving sake, no time constraints where even considered.

I also have seen that speed cubers are "setting up" their cubes, which I have never done. I honestly don't think there is much help for my current cubes in that regard excluding the 5x5.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome to the forums! :)

Tbh, it really depends on your buget as to what cubes to get. In general though anything from Moyu or Yuxin or Dayan seems to be a solid choice.

I would advise you check out a few methods before finding a one you like. Off the top of my head I would recommend Roux, CFOP, ZZ, ZB and SSC.

I hope you enjoy your time here! :)

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome Zane. The Yuxin 5x5 is excellent and their 4x4 will do for now. I prefer the Cyclone Boys G4. The Aofu has a good reputation but I've not tried it.
There's an older cubers thread if you fancy joining us there. Do you plan to compete?