• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Lego Cubes in FMC

Waterfire

Premium Member
WCA
2012SARO01
Let's say you have a cube that's tiled with lego pieces, like the Fanxin Color Brick 3x3. During FMC, instead of conventional insertion stickers, you can stick other legos on the pieces you want to trace; basically, reusable insertion stickers.

I'm fairly sure I'm not the first person to think of doing this, although I think I'm the first to ask the WRC if it would be competition legal. I'd characterize their answer as a soft yes, with a few caveats:
  • The base tiles on the cube can't have a logo on them, because that logo could help show the piece's orientation. So a Fanxin lego cube would be ok, but a custom cube with real legos would not be ok. The additional pieces placed on for tracing insertions, however, can have logos on them.
  • You need to ask the delegate ahead of time if you want to do this in competition.
I've attached some screenshots of the email discussion I had with the WRC. There's also a transcript under the spoiler. Please refer directly to what they said, and send them any questions if you have them.

Han Wu <[email protected]>

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the late reply. We had a little discussion regarding your question since we have not seen cases like this.
We really like this kind of innovation idea.

First of all, we would like to make sure that that puzzle you mentioned (FanXin Color Brick 3x3) is using Lego look-a-like tile instead of real Lego tile.
The reason for this is that we want to make sure the tiles on the puzzle do not have small Lego logos on them, otherwise it will violate Regulation 3h. The logo could show the orientation of the pieces.

Second, we agree that your proposal does not violate Regulation E3 because E3e allows it as long as it does not violate other WCA Regulations. But please notify your WCA Delegate before using the puzzle in the FMC event, because you will need approval from your WCA Delegate.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

On behalf of WRC,
Happy cubing

Han Wu
Member of WCA Regulations Committee

---------------------

Charles Saroff

Hi,

Thanks for the response! As far as I know, the Fanxin cube has no visible logos on it. Would the pieces I stick onto it for FMC also be required to not have logos?

Charlie.

---------------------

Han Wu

Hello Charles,

I think as long as your Lego pieces do not break other Regulations (e.g. creating new moves, with electronics inside...), having logos will be fine.
Since stickers in FMC already act as indication on the puzzle, whether there are logos on them or not does not matter that much.

Thank you

---------------------

Charles Saroff

Would it be alright for me to share this email thread with people? I'd like to share this idea around.

---------------------

Han Wu

Hi Charles,

Yes, we are okay with you sharing this email thread.
But please be careful when interpreting our intentions/Regulation.
If you or anyone has questions, you are welcomed to ask us anytime, either through e-mail or the official WCA forum.

Thank you very much.

Happy cubing.

Attachments

• wca_lego_1.PNG
    wca_lego_1.PNG
    57.7 KB · Views: 11
  • wca_lego_2.PNG
    wca_lego_2.PNG
    61.2 KB · Views: 9
  • wca_lego_3.PNG
    wca_lego_3.PNG
    58.6 KB · Views: 6

seungju choi

Let's say you have a cube that's tiled with lego pieces, like the Fanxin Color Brick 3x3. During FMC, instead of conventional insertion stickers, you can stick other legos on the pieces you want to trace; basically, reusable insertion stickers.

I'm fairly sure I'm not the first person to think of doing this, although I think I'm the first to ask the WRC if it would be competition legal. I'd characterize their answer as a soft yes, with a few caveats:
  • The base tiles on the cube can't have a logo on them, because that logo could help show the piece's orientation. So a Fanxin lego cube would be ok, but a custom cube with real legos would not be ok. The additional pieces placed on for tracing insertions, however, can have logos on them.
  • You need to ask the delegate ahead of time if you want to do this in competition.
I've attached some screenshots of the email discussion I had with the WRC. There's also a transcript under the spoiler. Please refer directly to what they said, and send them any questions if you have them.

Han Wu <[email protected]>

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the late reply. We had a little discussion regarding your question since we have not seen cases like this.
We really like this kind of innovation idea.

First of all, we would like to make sure that that puzzle you mentioned (FanXin Color Brick 3x3) is using Lego look-a-like tile instead of real Lego tile.
The reason for this is that we want to make sure the tiles on the puzzle do not have small Lego logos on them, otherwise it will violate Regulation 3h. The logo could show the orientation of the pieces.

Second, we agree that your proposal does not violate Regulation E3 because E3e allows it as long as it does not violate other WCA Regulations. But please notify your WCA Delegate before using the puzzle in the FMC event, because you will need approval from your WCA Delegate.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

On behalf of WRC,
Happy cubing

Han Wu
Member of WCA Regulations Committee

---------------------

Charles Saroff

Hi,

Thanks for the response! As far as I know, the Fanxin cube has no visible logos on it. Would the pieces I stick onto it for FMC also be required to not have logos?

Charlie.

---------------------

Han Wu

Hello Charles,

I think as long as your Lego pieces do not break other Regulations (e.g. creating new moves, with electronics inside...), having logos will be fine.
Since stickers in FMC already act as indication on the puzzle, whether there are logos on them or not does not matter that much.

Thank you

---------------------

Charles Saroff

Would it be alright for me to share this email thread with people? I'd like to share this idea around.

---------------------

Han Wu

Hi Charles,

Yes, we are okay with you sharing this email thread.
But please be careful when interpreting our intentions/Regulation.
If you or anyone has questions, you are welcomed to ask us anytime, either through e-mail or the official WCA forum.

Thank you very much.

Happy cubing.
I think using rNiss is better
And I can also use cheap cube for the insertion