• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Kube Exploring Kompetition (knowledge quiz with prizes)

kubesolver

Premium Member
The Kompetition:

I invite you to participate in a competition about exploring 3x3x3.

General:

There are several problems to solve. For each problem the scoring is as follows:
First place gets the most points, the second less etc. (100, 80, 70, 65, 60, 58, 56, 54, 52, 50, 49, ..., 1) or proportionally more for higher ranked problems.
If several people get the same score their points in this round are averaged (so if two people share first place they get 90 points each).

In all problems where you are asked to find a sequence then the shorter the better. HTM metric (no slice turns allowed) is used unless specified otherwise.

There are 9 100-points problems, 2-200 points problems and 3 500-points problems.

Prizes:

I will give out the cubicle vouchers or something similar. To begin with there is guaranteed 100$ for the winner.
I will add more prizes if there is a bigger interest in the comp. Those extra prizes will incentivize good results and early participation similar to my previous competition.

Participation rules:
- You can use a cube, pencil, paper etc.
- You CAN use alg.cubing.net or similar to visualize cube.
- You CANNOT use algdb or similar resources for prepared algorithms for various occasions.
- You CANNOT use cube explorer or similar program. Please be fair :)
- If you want to win a money prize you have to share your WCA ID.
- When you have solved all problems please bump this thread ;) and send your answers to me in a Private Message with Title "Kompetition".
- It's ok to improve your solutions later, just bump the thread again and add your new answer to the Pivate Message.

Please only discuss clarity or validity of questions in this thread and not the solutions until the Kompetition is over.

Submissions will be accepted until the end of March (1.04.2020 0:01 CET that is european time zone).

Problems:
100 points problems:
10) Comm1: Find a sequence that swaps two edges and two corners (2c2e).
11) Comm2: Same but 3e
12) Comm3: Same but 3c
13) Comm4: same but 3c3e
14) Comm5: same but 4c4e
15) Odd Q: Is it possible to find a sequence that starts and ends in a solved position and has odd number of moves in QTM (only 90 degrees face turns, no slice moves).
15A) Odd Q2: Only if you answered Yes in previous question. Please write such a sequence.
16) RUF block Q: Is there any cube position that has 2x2x2 block solved, but that can't be solved with 3-gen?
16B) RUF block Q2: Only if you answered Yes in previous question. Please write a sequence leading to such a position.

200 points problems:
20) RU madness: for each of PLL algorithm groups: A, E, F, G, H, J, N, R, T, U, V, Y, Z
Can it be done with 2-gen (i.e. using 2 cube faces like R and U, excluding slices, rotations etc.) sequence? If yes please write the sequence.
Score / tie breakers: number of correct answers, number of yes answers, length of provided sequences.

21) LL Incompatibility: Find an OLL algorithm such that after some number of repetitions of this sequence the last layer is oriented, but not permuted correctly.

500 point problems:
50) Lotto: Guess the god number (HTM) for those scrambles:
Your result is the sum of differences between your answer and the right answer for each scramble. (the smaller difference the better)

1) B2 F2 D R2 D2 R2 F2 D' B2 U2 F2 U' B' U' L U2 F' R' B D' B L'
2) R2 D F2 D B2 L2 D' F2 L2 R2 U R2 U' B' R2 F R F' D L F D2
3) R' U' L' B2 U F' R U L U' F2 L2 U L2 U' R2 D F2 D R2 D L2
4) D2 R B2 R B2 F2 D2 F2 L B2 R' D2 U' R' D F' D R2 U B' F R2
5) L2 F2 R B2 D2 L2 U2 F2 R' U2 L' D L' R B F2 R' D' B
6) L' F2 D2 F2 D2 R D2 F2 L2 D2 L' B R2 F' R' D' U' B F' U F' R
7 L2 F L2 D2 B2 R2 B' D2 B U F2 L2 D R F2 D L' B F U'
8) F' U2 F' U2 F' U2 L2 F' D2 U2 R2 B' L2 F2 R' F2 U L' D' B2 U R U' R'
9) F2 R U2 R' B2 R B2 F2 U2 B2 R' D2 R B' R' F2 D U B D2 R2 D L2 F2 U' B2 U2 R2 U' L2 B'
10) R' U2 L F2 L' U2 R' D2 R F2 U2 R B L' U L2 R' F' U' R' F R2
11) R U2 B2 F D' U' D U R F D2 B F2
12) B2 U2 L2 R2 U' B2 U' F2 D' R2 F2 D2 U' F' L D2 F D' B2 R' U2 B
13) B2 L2 F2 U2 L2 F2 U2 F D2 F L B' R D' F' L' U R2 B D F
14) U2 R2 F2 U' R2 F2 B L D' R U2 B2 L2 F2 R2 U' F2 U L2 U' F2 D'

51) CFOP nemesis. Prepare a scramble that is as short as possible and has the hardest possible cross.
The better solution is the one with higher length of a shortest sequence to make cross of any color.
Tie breaker is second best cross .. etc. The last tie breaker is len of sequence.
52) Petrus nemesis. Prepare a scramble that is as short as possible and has the hardest possible 2x2x2 block.
Same scoring as in 51).

When submitting please use the following template:
10) R U R' U'
11) R U R' U'
12) R U R' U'
13) R U R' U'
14) R U R' U'
15) Yes
15A) R U R' U'
16) Yes
16B) R F U R' F U'
20.A) Yes R U R' U'
20.E) Yes R U R' U'
20.F) Yes R U R' U'
20.G) Yes R U R' U'
20.H) No
20.J) No
20.N) No
20.R) No
20.T) No
20.U) No
20.V) No
20.Y) No
20.Z) No
21) Yes R U R' U'
50.1) 21
50.2) 21
50.3) 21
50.4) 21
50.5) 21
50.6) 21
50.7) 21
50.8) 21
50.9) 21
50.10) 21
50.11) 21
50.12) 21
50.13) 21
50.14) 21
51) R U R' U'
52) R U R' U'

Last edited:

brododragon

What if I don't have A WCA ID? Also, are x and z rotations allowed in the 2-gen problems?

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a question:
For problems 10) to 14), why is there “Comm#” before the question?
Do you want the answers to be a commutator or something? Or are you just looking for the shortest sequence that fulfills that goal?

Also just a side note, the problems where you guess the god’s number is basically just luck lol.

Anyway, I’m really excited to do this!
Sounds fun!! :D

kubesolver

Premium Member
What if I don't have A WCA ID?
Then if you win you'll have to wait until your first competition to claim the prize.
Also, are x and z rotations allowed in the 2-gen problems?
no. ;)
why is there “Comm#” before the question?
it's just the name of a problem so that you don't always have to refer to them by number.
Or are you just looking for the shortest sequence that fulfills that goal?
Yes.

Do you want the answers to be a commutator or something?
Also just a side note, the problems where you guess the god’s number is basically just luck lol.
This is borderline crossing the "please don't discuss questions".

brododragon

Then if you win you'll have to wait until your first competition to claim the prize.

lol, no. ;)

it's just the name of a problem so that you don't always have to refer to them by number.

Yes.

This is borderline crossing the "please don't discuss questions".
Thank you for clearing things up!

Edit: One more thing: Can we use fractions/decimals for answers for GN questions?

Edit 2: Do we have to do Ua and Ub perms?

Last edited:

kubesolver

Premium Member
Edit: One more thing: Can we use fractions/decimals for answers for GN questions?
Yes.

Edit 2: Do we have to do Ua and Ub perms?
No, just one is enough (obviously if one can be than the other can as well)
Do 10-14 have to be in HTM or are slice moves allowed?
I think HTM, but I'm open to change this rule if people prefer it.

I’m sorry. I hope I am not already disqualified for that and I’ll be sure to be more careful.
No worries. My goal is to encourage people and have fun so I won't be disqualifying anyone for such minor things.

For #14, does it have to be a continuous cycle of 4 edges and 4 corners, or does 2e2e2c2c count?
It has co be continuous. 2c2c is not the same as 4c.

Edit: I also made some small edits to the rules. In particular scoring of the Nemesis problems and some minor clarifications.

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bump! I'm finished with all of the problems and submitted my results!

I will probably try to improve 51 and 52 later and resubmit sometime before March 31.

This competition has been very fun and enjoyable! :D

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For problem 21, should number of repetitions be considered?
If I have two algs, one taking 14 moves and 6 repetitions to reach an oriented yet non permuted state, and another taking 16 moves and 2 repetitions to reach such a state, which would receive the most amount of points?

E: Regardless, I've submitted my solutions. I can change it later if I come up with something better.

Last edited:

xyzzy

Piggybacking on the above question:
Is the alg allowed to start/end with U moves? Is the alg allowed to include rotations?

Does being a U/U'/U2 off count as being permuted correctly, or as being permuted incorrectly?

Last edited:

kubesolver

Premium Member
For problem 21, should number of repetitions be considered?
If I have two algs, one taking 14 moves and 6 repetitions to reach an oriented yet non permuted state, and another taking 16 moves and 2 repetitions to reach such a state, which would receive the most amount of points?
The 14 moves sequence is shorter and is better. The number of repetitions required to achieve the state desired LL incompatibility doesn't matter.
Piggybacking on the above question:
Is the alg allowed to start/end with U moves? Is the alg allowed to include rotations?
Yes, the alg can include whatever.
Does being a U/U'/U2 off count as being permuted correctly, or as being permuted incorrectly?
Let's assume for the purpose of this problem that it's correctly permuted.