• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is it normal for center caps to fall off Guhongs?

Camalus

Hi everyone :)

I got my 9yr old son a standard Rubik's cube as a stocking stuffer this year, and had no idea it would turn into an obsession. He ignored it until about a week and half ago, then after 20 mins in his room, he came out being able to solve it. He said it was easy to learn, but I wouldn't know as I've never tried...yet. After reading around on this forum, he came to the conclusion that his cube was inadequate (thanks), and he needed a faster "professional" cube. I told him if he got his time below 2 mins I'd get him a new one, and a couple days later we were ordering him a Guhong. It came in the mail today, and he's in love with it...except for the problem that two center caps fell off during his first solve. His time is only 2 mins, so he's not being very aggressive with it. I understand from reading on this forum that center caps can be an issue, but I assumed it was after the cube was "broke in"...not straight out of the box.

1) Is this normal?

2) What's the best way to prevent this from happening as often?

This next question doesn't have to do with hardware, but...

3) Is a 9yr old learning this quick normal? Once he gets the LBL method down pat, what step or method should he work on next?

Thanks for your replies, and nice forum.

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
1) It is normal, on some cubes. I cant speak for the GuHong tough, I dont own one. Some cubes just have tighter center caps.
2) I never had to do this, but sticking a small piece of paper or something in their, to make it tighter, would propably help.
3) I believe this is the type of activity that a young person wouldn't have any problem to learn fast. He should start off with F2L, as it combines the first two layers without the need of learning new algorithms. Then start learning 2look OLL and 2look PLL. There are only 21 PLL cases, compared to the 57 OLL's, so 1look PLL can be learned pretty fast. Since he started with LBL, maybe it's easier to stick with Fridrich, I don't know how difficult it is for a 9yr old to learn different methods. But don't be afraid to try other methods, like Roux or Petrus.

gbcuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everyone :)

I got my 9yr old son a standard Rubik's cube as a stocking stuffer this year, and had no idea it would turn into an obsession. He ignored it until about a week and half ago, then after 20 mins in his room, he came out being able to solve it. He said it was easy to learn, but I wouldn't know as I've never tried...yet. After reading around on this forum, he came to the conclusion that his cube was inadequate (thanks), and he needed a faster "professional" cube. I told him if he got his time below 2 mins I'd get him a new one, and a couple days later we were ordering him a Guhong. It came in the mail today, and he's in love with it...except for the problem that two center caps fell off during his first solve. His time is only 2 mins, so he's not being very aggressive with it. I understand from reading on this forum that center caps can be an issue, but I assumed it was after the cube was "broke in"...not straight out of the box.

1) Is this normal?

2) What's the best way to prevent this from happening as often?

This next question doesn't have to do with hardware, but...

3) Is a 9yr old learning this quick normal? Once he gets the LBL method down pat, what step or method should he work on next?

Thanks for your replies, and nice forum.

1. Yeah, it tends to happen with guhongs pretty frequently.
2. Shave off the excess plastic on the tab that sticks off of the center cap.
3. I find that really amazing! It's great that he's starting at such an early age. After LBL, F2L would probably be the next step up. I would recommend badmephisto's tutorial on youtube.

Specs112

WCA
2011ANDE03
1. Yes, caps are an issue on a lot of cubes.

2. I put a piece of paper between the cap and the center piece to jam it in place. That's just what I do, I'm sure other people deal with it differently.

3. There isn't really a "normal" rate to improve at. You can move on to a lot of different things. Given that he's using LBL I'd suggest moving on to CFOP by learning intuitive F2L. That's the most natural transition from that method. Although Roux, etc, have their benefits which I'm not adequately qualified to talk about.

WCA
2010BULA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. yes, for some
2. Put a small piece of paper in between the cap and the center piece.
3. very impressive if he solved it without looking for algorithms. but still impressive if he did look for algorithms. I solved a cube without learning algorithms when I was 12years old. And it took me more than a week.
there are so many fast method. fridrich, roux, petrus, etc. most cuber use fridrich. but other speedcubing methods are good too.

edit: quadriple ninja'd

Last edited:

Camalus

Wow, nice welcome...thx for all the replies.

He's already asking how to find the closest competitions. Closest city is Cincinnati so I'll check there.
Thx again.

Achifaifa

Had the same problem with the guhong caps. Take them and file the outside of the small gap they have. That fixed the problem for me.

The outside of this piece

2qx1bbt.jpg

Don't remove it completely, just sand the outside and leave it smooth enough. The cap should not fall with that.

Pixel 6

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
gbcuber on post #3 had the best solution IMO.
I did a video on how to fix this almost a year ago. The paper route works on a lot of cubes... But the best way to fix center caps on GuHongs is shaving off the extra plastic that causes the problem in the first place.

http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4ndn6mjdd#/watch?v=MjHPDedsTcw

[video]http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4ndn6mjdd#/watch?v=MjHPDedsTcw[/video]

The mod takes about a minute to do.

- Pixel -