• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is a budget cosmic cube any good?

Rainger

In looking for a decent fast cube a lot of people here recommended the Meilong 3x3 which I tried and thought was good for the price ($4 or less USD). I had never purchased a cosmic cube but after trying the Meilong out I thought why not have SCS do their magic and see the differences between their cosmic version and the original. I recorded my thoughts and put them on a YouTube video I’ll link below. I try to be as unbiased as possible and do a realistic review for people who are interested in this sort of thing.

Link to YouTube comparison

Thanks everyone

Rainger

I prefer pro shop/angstrom/cubicle cubes to the scs ones. But the cosmic cubes I have tried were pretty nice.
I actually got this same cube in pro shop by the cubicle but it wasn’t a direct comparison because it’s magnetic. Very strong magnets.

Rainger

I have a Supernova YLM 3x3x3 M from Speedcubeshop and it's one of my mains. It's extremely good in every way. It doesn't even compare to the stock version of the YLM.
Never tried that cube. Is it fast? Slow?

Zarxrax

I guess you could say I'm a casual cuber. I've had my Rubik's for a while now and will mess with it from time to time. I picked it up last night and with every move I make the cube would get stuck while turning. I know I can solve faster but the cube is limiting me in that regard.
I've been looking at SCS and TheCubile for a 3x3 trying to deduce some sort of answer to my problems. Now I'm not trying to go competitive, but I'm looking for a cube that'll allow me to improve. What is the general consensus around here regarding high-end cubes? I've seen a lot of talk about the Cosmic Gan 356 X Magnetic.

Really, just about any decent $20-$30 cube should be fine unless you are approaching 10 second times. Even a budget cube would be miles ahead of the Rubik's.

Rainger

Really, just about any decent $20-$30 cube should be fine unless you are approaching 10 second times. Even a budget cube would be miles ahead of the Rubik's.
I agree with you on that, I have some nice cubes and I’m nowhere near 10 seconds and I can get similar times on my $5 little magic and my $50-$60 GAN 356 X V2.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Never tried that cube. Is it fast? Slow?

It's fast, but they put the right amount and the right kind of lube in it. Combined with fairly strong magnets, it makes the puzzle the perfect mix between fast and slow. I spent a good hour today trying to mimick what they did with another YLM I magnetized before and, let's just say, I knocked 0.3 seconds off my PB Ao5 afterwards. For 4 bucks an an hour of your time glueing in some magnets and then throwing in some thicker lube, you have a really good puzzle. It's on par with my MeiLongs.

For cheap I really liked the Qiyi Thunderclap v3 m, around $10, feels like a Valk to me.

The Thunderclap V3 M, when properly lubed with some slightly thinner lube, is extremely good for its price.