• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Improving Consistency Discussion

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Usually when one of my solves (I'm also a beginner) takes significantly longer than usual it's because I can't find a piece I'm looking for and have to go hunting for it.
Omfg this sums up my current battle with mega...

But seriously, the more you get used yoi a puzzle the less time you will have to spend trying to find pieces, especially on a 222, 333 or 444.

The variation between steps will also decrease as you work out how to do things more efficiently until all the moves will take roughly the same number of moves.

Also try to do some slow turning solves so you can easily find and track each piece while solving the previous step. This principle can also be used by using longer than usual inspection time during practise (because after all it is only practise) and during that inspection try to plan out and predict as much of the solve as possible.

Another thing that can be done is to practise each step individually so that you can get each step good by itself before having the stress of thinking about all the other steps at the same time as trying to focus on the step you are currently on.

Lastly, don't ramp up tps during practise as this will mean that you will spend more time looking at the cube than actually solving- instead try to aim for a tps where you're constantly turning with only very small (or preferably non-existent) pauses.

Hope this helps! ;)

Last edited:

thelunarbros

WCA
2015TEJA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just ask Brandon Mikel on how to be consistent.

Anyway, I have no idea if this will change anything, but first try to do a normal solve. Then instead of trying to make your next solve faster than the previous one, tell yourself to try and get a similar time to the previous one. It sounds like it'll do nothing, but try it in an average of five. You could see a difference.

Last edited:

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Variations in solve times are normal. They just seem more pronounced when your times are slower.

Most of my solves seem to fall into the range of global average + or - 15%.

So at a 20s average that is 17s-23s and scaled up to a 40s average it would be 34s-46s.

xchippy

That is completely normal for someone who is averaging 40 seconds. It will naturally go away. If you average 20 seconds, and have a standard devation of 15, then you should start worrying.

Jbacboy

WCA
2014CHRI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a pretty normal process, it happens to me. Ill be averaging 12-13 and then BAM a 17 followed by a 9. What seems to be the problem to me is I don't track pieces or overshoot. Slightly slower solvers might just not get a case they know, and the solve might take 5-7 more seconds more.