• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hypercube Labs - The Cubing of the Future

casi

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't believe it is, I think everything is all New Plastic. However, we haven't even started to make a dent on our pile given the minute amount used per coat.

mjm

WCA
2015MAHE01
Glad I found you guys, this seems pretty awesome. I have a couple of questions!

What is the Hypercoat? Your site doesn't have anything on that page right now.

Also, would are you considering offering the process on other cubes, namely the GTS3M and DaYan TengYun?

Finally, what's your favorite coated cube? :D

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
Would it be possible to use this technique to "colour" stickerless cubes black? Sadly many of the great recent puzzles like the 30cm Rubik's Cube seem unlikely to ever get released in traditional colouring. I am experimenting with spray painting but I haven't seen a 100% effective technique.

casi

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure that the technique could be used to do that, but this was a really hot topic back when stickerless cubes were illegal in comp, and so people developed a RIT dye method. I put the video here.

But yeah, it could be done with a black polymer and an altered boron treatment method.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Hazel

Premium Member
The Hypercoat information can be found at https://hypercubelabs.net/hypercoats. We do coat the GTS3M, on the non-ridge version called the Weilong WR. I think my favorite is one of the GAN cubes, either the Boron GAN Air, the DayanCoated GAN X, or the HyperCoated GAN 354.
I think mjm is asking what HyperCoats really ARE. Boron coats use the element Boron, DaYan coats use melted plastic from DaYan 2x2 cubes, what do you actually put on the pieces to do HyperCoats?

I know this is an old thread, but are the boron treated Valk 3 and dayan yuxin little magic magnetic?

A2Cubed

YouTube
Visit Channel
For the DayanCoats, how would you be able to get such a thin layer onto the plastic without deforming the shape of the piece a little bit? Also, how do you get the plastic from the Dayan cube onto the piece itself?

Iwannaganx

Im a new cuber, around 6 months. I'm not sure if I want to experiment with my very few $$ yet, but can you explain to me what each coating does to the puzzle, what your shipping costs to Australia are, and (more to people who have bought these) is it worth it? Also, where do you coat them? I saw on a jperm vid he had a PVC coated one, is this something different? Just generally more info please

Atomixcc

Can you I custom coats where you coat people's cubes which they have already bought? I have a cube I want coated with HyperCoat

casi

YouTube
Visit Channel
I know this is an old thread, but are the boron treated Valk 3 and dayan yuxin little magic magnetic?
Neither of those cubes are magnetic. With DayanCoated cubes, however, you can magnetize them yourself depending on the piece design, and the DayanCoated Yuxin Little Magic happens to be one that you can self-magnetize.

For the DayanCoats, how would you be able to get such a thin layer onto the plastic without deforming the shape of the piece a little bit? Also, how do you get the plastic from the Dayan cube onto the piece itself?
DayanCoating is done by dissolving the Dayan plastic into an appropriate solvent, and then transferring the dissolved substance onto the surface of the cube being treated. The piece is not deformed in any way visible to the eye, although the sub-pieces of each piece are sealed together slightly, so it is often impossible to magnetize after treatment.

how are you still getting old plastic dayan plastic (im curious because its so rare to come across i do not want to purchase any)
I bought a 2x2 from Puzzle Cuber, but I really don't use that much, so I'm still on the second interior piece.

Also it would be nice to put the names of the cubes on your web, because the pictures alone can’t identify them
Or is it just my screen has crashed?
If you hover over the images there will be identifying text.

Im a new cuber, around 6 months. I'm not sure if I want to experiment with my very few $$ yet, but can you explain to me what each coating does to the puzzle, what your shipping costs to Australia are, and (more to people who have bought these) is it worth it? Also, where do you coat them? I saw on a jperm vid he had a PVC coated one, is this something different? Just generally more info please
The way coatings work is very simple. The first thing to understand is that there are two things that go into a cube's default (non-lubed) feel - piece shape and plastic. The piece shape affects things like corner cutting and lockups. The plastic affects the smoothness and turning speed. Different lubes can also affect this, but not in the same way as different plastics can. Most cubes these days have full corner cutting and very few lockups, so the way to improve your cubes is plastic changes. A technique to do this is to take plastic from one cube and put it on another. For instance, the Old Plastic Dayan 2x2 doesn't have a great piece shape design, but it has AMAZING plastic. The Mofang Jiaoshi MF3RS3M has a nice piece shape, but the plastic isn't as good as the Dayan 2x2. To make a DayanCoated MF3RS3M, we take plastic from the 2x2 and chemically fuse it to the good piece shape of the MF3RS3M, creating a cube with the same piece shape(and corner cutting) of the MF3RS3M and the same amazing plastic as the Dayan 2x2. Since different plastics feel different to different cubers, we offer 3 different coatings for 3 different feels to pick from.

As to whether it's worth it, here's one of my customers: "Man, I have more than 400 cubes in my collection, a lot of custom 3x3 from different stores including other cubes from you, but the HyperCoated GTS2M is by far the fastest 3x3 I have tried, its so fast that it feels too light in my hands, it feels amazing, my main was the boron GTS2M I bought from you but now I have a new main and favorite cube!"

J Perm showed off a prototype PVC cube from SpeedCubeShop, as did TCKyewbs. SpeedCubeShop is completely separate from Hypercube Labs (although if they want to work with me, I'd love to! Cameron, are you listening?). Their coated cube is also coated on the outside, not the inside, for grip purposes rather than feel purposes.

We are based in Nashville, Tennessee, so international shipping to Australia is $13 US dollars.

Can you I custom coats where you coat people's cubes which they have already bought? I have a cube I want coated with HyperCoat
Unfortunately, we do not do custom cube coats and we do not plan to introduce it in the future.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Neither of those cubes are magnetic. With DayanCoated cubes, however, you can magnetize them yourself depending on the piece design, and the DayanCoated Yuxin Little Magic happens to be one that you can self-magnetize.

DayanCoating is done by dissolving the Dayan plastic into an appropriate solvent, and then transferring the dissolved substance onto the surface of the cube being treated. The piece is not deformed in any way visible to the eye, although the sub-pieces of each piece are sealed together slightly, so it is often impossible to magnetize after treatment.

I bought a 2x2 from Puzzle Cuber, but I really don't use that much, so I'm still on the second interior piece.

If you hover over the images there will be identifying text.

The way coatings work is very simple. The first thing to understand is that there are two things that go into a cube's default (non-lubed) feel - piece shape and plastic. The piece shape affects things like corner cutting and lockups. The plastic affects the smoothness and turning speed. Different lubes can also affect this, but not in the same way as different plastics can. Most cubes these days have full corner cutting and very few lockups, so the way to improve your cubes is plastic changes. A technique to do this is to take plastic from one cube and put it on another. For instance, the Old Plastic Dayan 2x2 doesn't have a great piece shape design, but it has AMAZING plastic. The Mofang Jiaoshi MF3RS3M has a nice piece shape, but the plastic isn't as good as the Dayan 2x2. To make a DayanCoated MF3RS3M, we take plastic from the 2x2 and chemically fuse it to the good piece shape of the MF3RS3M, creating a cube with the same piece shape(and corner cutting) of the MF3RS3M and the same amazing plastic as the Dayan 2x2. Since different plastics feel different to different cubers, we offer 3 different coatings for 3 different feels to pick from.

As to whether it's worth it, here's one of my customers: "Man, I have more than 400 cubes in my collection, a lot of custom 3x3 from different stores including other cubes from you, but the HyperCoated GTS2M is by far the fastest 3x3 I have tried, its so fast that it feels too light in my hands, it feels amazing, my main was the boron GTS2M I bought from you but now I have a new main and favorite cube!"

J Perm showed off a prototype PVC cube from SpeedCubeShop, as did TCKyewbs. SpeedCubeShop is completely separate from Hypercube Labs (although if they want to work with me, I'd love to! Cameron, are you listening?). Their coated cube is also coated on the outside, not the inside, for grip purposes rather than feel purposes.

We are based in Nashville, Tennessee, so international shipping to Australia is $13 US dollars.

Unfortunately, we do not do custom cube coats and we do not plan to introduce it in the future.
Oh thanks, I'm looking at this on my iPad, which you cant hover on...

Atomixcc

i was looking at your website and some cubes like the Yuxin Little Magic were over priced. Is there a reason for this? is coating hard to make or expensive because if so i would understand or is there another reason?

Last edited: