• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] How to solve faster 2x2 if I learned Ortega method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space

I have a problem in that. I have learned how to solve 2x2 with Ortega method so but I still only get average 12~14 seconds but I see many players can get sub 4~5. I need experienced peoples to give me some advice.
(Sorry for my bad grammar)

Hazel

Premium Member
Ortega is a great method! I use it and I'm sub-4 on 2x2.
At your level you should just be focusing on practice - do lots of solves, and try to make sure you can see your entire first face in the inspection. Once you improve that this, you should practice to be able to know what type of first face you'll get (diagonal, layer, or block), and be able to accurately predict where the 2x1 block is if it's that type. Learn different PBL algorithms from different angles too.
For now though, just focus on doing many, many solves - at your speed, that alone should help a bunch.

rubik2005

Besides practicing, you should plan out your first layer in inspection (shouldn't be too hard). Predicting the OLL is a good thing to do, but you might want to focus on that later on. Predicting what PBL you will get will really be helpful, and learning all the algs from every angle also helps. So plan out your first layer, predict the PBL, and learn algs from different angles. Hope you can improve!

Hazel

Premium Member
Thank you @Aerma and @rubik2005 for helping. May i ask how to predict the oll since I really don't know how.
At your level, you shouldn't really be worrying about OLL prediction. I'm sub-4 and I still very, very rarely predict my OLL – and when I do, it doesn't really seem to save much time. However if you want to get a head start, do look at Chris Olson's (cyotheking) videos. A big thing to remember is: the more efficient your first face, the easier OLL prediction will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.