• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to lube Dayan 4x4/What lube to use?

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
I just got my Dayan 4x4 today and it's nice(compared to my old jank Rubiks brand) and cuts pretty well but is a little rough to turn. It definitely needs some lube but I'm not sure how to do it. Last time I tried to lube a 4x4 I destroyed it. I have Lubix and then some generic silicone spray that's pretty sketchy. I don't really want to invest in new lube just for my 4x4 so will Lubix work? Also I know that lubing the core of a standard 3x3 doesn't do too much but since the Dayan has a double core thing going on is there enough friction in the core to make lubing it a good idea? I don't plan on doing that now since getting Lubix in there would be really hard without dismantling it and I really don't look forward to doing that should the need arise.

Can I just put a dab of Lubix on the edges like with a 3x3 and then work it in?

I feel like I should use at least two drops since there's so much more surface area on a 4x4. Good idea? Over lubrication?

Lube the core: Good idea that's worth the trouble or no?

It's not stickered yet so I'm not real worried about having to work in lube for awhile but what do you guys suggest?

EDIT: My inner layers are easier to turn than my outer layers. Isn't it usually the opposite? Do I need to loosen the tensions? If so, how to I do it on this cube?

Last edited:

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
On a 3x3 you lube the core with Lubix.

Yes, but from personal experience it doesn't make the cube noticeably faster and is a waste of Lubix to me. I'm putting together GuHongs for my friends and I didn't lube the core cause I was being a bum and it still is atleast as good, if not better than my modded A-V and the GuHong didn't even have a solve through it.

That is also a very unhelpful contribution to my questions and this thread.

The Puzzler

WCA
2010BROP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, but from personal experience it doesn't make the cube noticeably faster and is a waste of Lubix to me. I'm putting together GuHongs for my friends and I didn't lube the core cause I was being a bum and it still is atleast as good, if not better than my modded A-V and the GuHong didn't even have a solve through it.

That is also a very unhelpful contribution to my questions and this thread.
Sorry I was simply wondering why you didn't lube the core. I would suggest CRC for the Dayan 4x4.

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Alright thanks. What about the turning though? I thought inner layers were usually rougher than outers? I can almost cut more in the double layers than I can in the outers.

yockee

YouTube
Visit Channel
Listen carefully. With the Dayan 4x4, the only way to get it to be GREAT, is to take it apart and lube INSIDE the 2x2 structure. Also, tension the 3 axis screws on the 2x2 core. Then, assemble, and tighten the ball shells around the core, ALL THE WAY. If you do not do this, your inner layers won't reach their potential, and outers will be unstable. Everyone I've told to do this, has had great results.