• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to improve skill during driving?

ZZer

Hey.

I spend in car about 2h a day.

Do you have any idea how to "train solving" without touching cube during car driving?

The only thing I have in mind is some blindfolding staff -> refresh letter pair in mind.

Any idea??

Br

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Good question - I've tried to recall letter pairs or letter/locations without looking at the cube before. With BLD there is a lot of recall stuff that can be practiced without a cube, but with speedcubing I'm not sure how much you can do without actually having a cube with you. Curious what ideas others have.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe focus on driving while driving so as not to kill yourself or others.

Who doesn‘t think about stuff when driving alone, unless you‘re still learning to drive? Do you also not talk a word to anyone in your car because you have to 100% focus on driving at all times? No offense..

To actually adress the OP question:
It depends on what you‘re trying to learn or „practice“ I guess.
I‘m learning TULPiH ZBLL, and so far I‘ve learned 2gll and one additional H set. I often just go through those sets in my mind, and imagine the algs for each case. That helps me especially with similar looking cases, for example the T and U 2GLLs that look like a T or R perm from a certain angle. I kind of imagine doing the algs. It‘s not muscle memory of course cause I‘m not doing them, but it‘s also not thinking about the algs as they‘re written. It‘s something in between, like imagining how the alg feels when executing. For reference, just think about a T perm. For me I kind of almost visualise my hands doing the alg. What‘s also helpful is imagining AUF before the alg of any case, so I learn how that‘s supposed to „feel“ and wether or not I might benefit from doing U with a left index push for example. After all, if I recognise a case from another angle, the auf should be automatic and part of the alg.
At home when I learned a set of algs, I often go through the set, as in, I think of a case and what alg it should be, and then do the alg on a solved cube until I end up with a solved cube again. For me that‘s the most efficient and beneficial way of getting the set to stick. I only use a trainer to dill them after I‘ve done this.
So when driving I essentially do the same but in my mind.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
None taken. I don't drive now because my mind was never entirely on the job at hand and there were accidents. Folks these days have a lot of things to think about and often the safe control of a ton of hurtling metal and glass is low on the priority list.

Google search the phrase "man crashes car while" and see which one of the 13,000 plus results worries you the least.

I'll let you get back on topic now.

Oh my, sorry to hear that!
I get where you‘re coming from, and partially I would agree. It‘s bad to let yourself get distracted by using your phone or something like that. And of course I‘m not advocating having an alg sheet open to glance at while driving, but I personally don‘t see a problem with thinking about something. But that also depends on traffic and where you are. If I‘m driving in a city with redlights and other cars etc I ofc pay more attention but if I‘m on a highway without a lot of traffic it‘s different. That may sound like I don‘t pay attention then but that‘s not true. I can easily look ahead then while thinking about other stuff