• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How many solves in an average does it take to be Sub-X?

jtslvrs

Question, I've been thinking on this for around 4 years now. When someone says: "I'm sub-x on 3x3", what average solve number do you think that requires to be true? In other words, if someone said they were sub-10 with a pb AO12 being 9.99, do you think that's the case? Or what solve count do you think constitutes the phrase?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Question, I've been thinking on this for around 4 years now. When someone says: "I'm sub-x on 3x3", what average solve number do you think that requires to be true? In other words, if someone said they were sub-10 with a pb AO12 being 9.99, do you think that's the case? Or what solve count do you think constitutes the phrase?
I personally just go by my ao100

Reactions: qwr

Eamon

YouTube
Visit Channel
i will go with my mean of the entire session

Ishan0623

I think if someone says they are sub 10 on 3x3 that means that for the most part they are under 10 seconds. Like when i say I'm sub 25 on 3x3 usually im around 24 or 23 seconds and that is the same if someone says they are sub 10

ao500 for 2x2, 3x3 pyra, squan, clock
ao100 for 4x4, 5x5, mega, 3BLD
ao50 for 6x6, 7x7, 4BLD, 5BLD

This is just my option and I don't do all of these events so I'm probably wrong.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah 1000 is only 10 times 100, it’s not a big difference at all. :rolleyes:
if you are very inconsistent you might be a few seconds off though, so you might not be truly sub x in that matter.
but if you are, my statement should be mostly right, at most being a second off.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
it is accuate unless you improved quite a bit through 1000 solves
a rolling average would fix that up

and it also wouldnt be accurate if you had one good solve going but it got messed up because your little brother shot in your room and screamed "I CAN SOLVE THE RUBIKS CUBE!!!" and you instead get a 11 second solve instead of a 6 second solve.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
A second is a lot when you generally set milestones 1 second apart
sorry for double posting, but this is true, could happen if you just get a row of unlucky solves, or you just arent doing your best.
My ao100 is 15.75 and my ao1000 is 16.22. I average much closer to 16.22. for big cubes I use ao100 though
it is less than a second, its a couple of millisecond so my statment is still true based on this post. Not for other's though obviously as stated above.

do
a
statistical
test

Don't want to do that? Then stop saying "sub-x". It's a term so devoid of meaning and yet so popular in the community.
so true lol, sub x can mean anything, and being a faster time, like sub 10, could take more solves on average than like sub 30 maybe, since it is LOGIKKK that getting faster = more harder.

Last edited: