• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How many solves does it take to break the current 3x3 world record single?

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do love large numbers and love to take estimates. I personally think asking such a question is meaningless as 3x3 improvement is dependent on so many other factors like motivation and deliberate practice.

But just for the sake of speculating, say you do your first solve just now, and its a 2 minute solve. You have all the resources and coaching service available. How many solves will an average human being need to do in order to break the current 3.47 seconds with high certainty. I know some sort of skip will be required to break the WR again, but if a person trains and needs to get a number on how many solves it would take, what's your guess?

My guess is that 2 million solves should be good, to make person know a lot about their method (CFOP, Roux), and achieve pause less solves and high TPS.

Reactions: qwr

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
My opinion I want to say is that no amount of solving will enable someone to consistently break a WR because speedcubing is big enough where you're going against people with hard work AND natural talent. However speedcubing is still relatively niche and if you could train promising young people like olympic athletes are trained then I think we would see crazy competitors that would blow the current competition out of the water.

Maybe at some point you're limited to how many competitions you can attend. Famous cubers are sponsored so they can go to 20 comps in a year while your average cuber can only go to a few.

Cubing_Marmot

In my opinion...
Tymon Kolasinski practices 6 hours a day. If you theoretically did 100 solves an hour you would to 600 solves. But you would have to take breaks so lets say you could do 500 solves per day. Felix Zemdegs has been cubing for 14 years (He started in 2008) But he was one of the first people to cube that quickly so obviously there would now be better coaches. So lets say that you would cube for 10 years before getting the record. This means that if you had access to all of that time and coaching you could do 500 solves a day before it might stop helping you. If you did this every day for 10 years you would have done ???? solves. My guess is... 1,890,000

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In my opinion...
Tymon Kolasinski practices 6 hours a day. If you theoretically did 100 solves an hour you would to 600 solves. But you would have to take breaks so lets say you could do 500 solves per day. Felix Zemdegs has been cubing for 14 years (He started in 2008) But he was one of the first people to cube that quickly so obviously there would now be better coaches. So lets say that you would cube for 10 years before getting the record. This means that if you had access to all of that time and coaching you could do 500 solves a day before it might stop helping you. If you did this every day for 10 years you would have done ???? solves. My guess is... 1,890,000
I think Tymon practices 16+ hours a day.

Maybe he practices 3x3 only for 10 hours a day, and the rest of the time on big cubes and learning/discovering fingertricks.

The future elite cubers who will be predominately from China would be practising 18 hours a day for sure to achieve their results.

All this seems absurd but is a norm among asian kids.

efattah

If you do enough solves (millions) eventually you get so lucky that the cube almost solves itself and you get a 16-20 move solution, which even at low TPS is near the record. I assume the question is breaking the record 'at home', since you can't get millions of solves in competition. The next part which needs clarification is that you could eventually break the record with 100,000,000 solves, assuming that all other cubers on Earth stopped cubing; then you would be the only lucky one. But if everyone else keeps practicing 16 hours per day, they are going to be just as lucky, or more, than you, and the record will be lowered faster than you can catch it. I've seen the same problem in other sports. In many cases gifted, talented, hard-working athletes chase a world record, and get better and better every year-- except the world record improves every year as well, and they never 'catch up' to the record they are trying to chase. Which means in most sports, in order to break a world record, you must improve at such a dramatically incredible rate, way faster than anyone else, to catch up and surpass the record which is a moving target.

Isaiah Scott

WCA
2022SCOT04
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
In my opinion...
If you did 500 x 3650(the # of days in ten years) you would end up with 1,825,000

I think Tymon practices 16+ hours a day.

Maybe he practices 3x3 only for 10 hours a day, and the rest of the time on big cubes and learning/discovering fingertricks.

The future elite cubers who will be predominately from China would be practising 18 hours a day for sure to achieve their results.

All this seems absurd but is a norm among asian kids.
Tymon cannot practice for 16 hours a day. That is quite impossible, as that would mean he needs to spend 8 hours sleeping and eating. Also, cubing takes a lot of energy, and to be cubing for 16 hours a day will probably make your head hurt. And if you do it every day, that will for sure cause you to have some problems. He probably practices 8-10 hours a day.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
I'm pretty sure Tymon used to be homeschooled. If he is over 18 right now, that probably means he has cubing as his job.
Tymon is slightly older than me, so he's probably close, or at most, 17. He is still in school. I don't know where people get the idea that Tymon is over 18. Age estimation varies from person to person I suppose.

OldSwiss

Like in every sport, you can practice a lot but if you don't have the talent, you will never reach the top.
Your fingers, eyes and brain have to be very fast and yo can train that only to a certain limit.

The best ones have both, the talent and a lot of practice