• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How long do cubes last?

Eduard Khil

Ive been only cubing for half a year only, and my main speedcubes are are still only 2 months old

I see that some say that cubes dont live over a year, (Ive had a rubiks brand for 7 years and the plastic broke)

Where after a year long's continuous use does the plastic break down?

Eduard Khil

Yeah Ive heard a lot about breaking in. My Guhong v2 is 4 days old and it has been great till when it got 2 explosions today (weird.) The edges are still a bit clicky and slightly locky, so yeah. Breaking in.
My Guanlong is around for 2 months, as its plastic is so cheap it has broken in very quickly and became smoother, only that it may be a bit slow for a 20 second solver with a high movecount.
The huanying is also 2 months of age and is starting to get more pops, probably need to tension it some day later.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guanlongs are very susceptible to damage from dropping. The torpedoes snap off easily. Luckily they are cheap and I like the new cube feel. I have lots of spares.

Phaint

I had a Guhong for 3 years probable around 25-30 thousand solves. As long as you keep it lubricated it will last a long time. The only reason I replaced my Guhong is the place where the center pieces meet the core wore paper thin and broke off. Was the smoothest cube I will probable ever have being that broken in it was fast cut amazing and made hardly any noise. I would say most cubes if kept lubed properly should last 10-15 thousand solves minimum.

Thecuber1

WCA
2014WALD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My Zhanchi's do not last long. They either get really gummy and slow, or they just break down. Each black Zhanchi that I have had has only lasted me 2-3 months tops.

Aaron Lau

Lifetime of a cube

So, i was wondering how long a cube (specifically a 3x3) could last for. (how many solves can be done be fore it's like.. dead)
What do you think is the length of its lifetime.(how many solves)
Also this includes being lubricated in the core.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
So, i was wondering how long a cube (specifically a 3x3) could last for. (how many solves can be done be fore it's like.. dead)
What do you think is the length of its lifetime.(how many solves)
Also this includes being lubricated in the core.

IMHO, I think that cubes actually get better the longer you use them cause they essentially get modded to be smoother by lots of breaking in. You may have to clean it every now and then and change the lube but it will end up still being good for most cubes that are of reasonable quality.

Aaron Lau

IMHO, I think that cubes actually get better the longer you use them cause they essentially get modded to be smoother by lots of breaking in. You may have to clean it every now and then and change the lube but it will end up still being good for most cubes that are of reasonable quality.

yes that is true but i dont think it lasts forever right?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
yes that is true but i dont think it lasts forever right?

Probably not indefinately but I think the cubes made today can last the lifetime of the average cuber (which is would say is about 5-7 years if they started young. Many might not last more than 3) if it well maintained.

In fact the onto reason I've heard for people switching between cubes is if they want to buy a quote unquote "better" cube that has just come out or if they in sone way damage they old cube by doing something like drooping it too much.

Thus I think a well maintained cube can outlast the cuber and definately last longer than what most cubes do as mains.

Aaron Lau

Probably not indefinately but I think the cubes made today can last the lifetime of the average cuber (which is would say is about 5-7 years if they started young. Many might not last more than 3) if it well maintained.

In fact the onto reason I've heard for people switching between cubes is if they want to buy a quote unquote "better" cube that has just come out or if they in sone way damage they old cube by doing something like drooping it too much.

Thus I think a well maintained cube can outlast the cuber and definately last longer than what most cubes do as mains.

that sounds reasonable

K3lpBoy

I usually have to "resurrect" (clean out) my cubes every month or so because I bring them to school. Other than that, my MeiYing has lasted me 7-8 months.

Aaron Lau

I usually have to "resurrect" (clean out) my cubes every month or so because I bring them to school. Other than that, my MeiYing has lasted me 7-8 months.

how does bringing them to school have to do anything to them?