• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How fast can Full Step CFOP get you?

Steve AC

Hi everyone,

I am at my best an 18.xxx mean solver of 30 solves on at least two of my cubes tested earlier today.

My #1 PB is 11.274 on the MoYu WRM 2020.

Edit: I know full OLL and PLL. 57 oll algs, 21 pll algs, and over the basic 42 F2L algs.

Now assuming ones fingertricks are on point, F2L is effecient from multiple angles and slots, cross and x-cross game on point, avoiding regrips unless absolutely necessary, good look ahead... All this good stuff..

How far can full step CFOP rly take someone? I do not know any sub sets of CFOP, and I am considering learning VLS, or ZBLL next, but I kind of want to see how far full step CFOP can get me.

What is the fastest averages ya'll can get restricting your solves to full-step CFOP?

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I assume you include full PLL and OLL (not 2 look)
The top Chinese cubers at this moment, ranked #2, #4, and #11 in the world, only use full CFOP. They make up for simple solutions with very high tps and very optimized lookahead. Some solves make use of an xcross. Yezhen Han is certainly capable of being the fastest cuber in the world. See my thread on the rise of chinese cubers.

xyzzy

If I try to restrict my solves to plain CFOP I'll be bored out of my mind after five solves and my average will be a DNF. But really, I'd probably average like 1-2 seconds higher than usual (so around 14 seconds, rather than around 13 seconds).

You can go very far without anything fancy, and nobody's said anything to the contrary. (I mean, some people have, but there are always people saying stupid things, so, you know.) With perfect lookahead and execution, even basic F2L with 4LLL can get you to a 10-second global average.

The main tradeoff with advanced techniques is recognition versus efficiency versus learning difficulty. Where an alg set crosses over from being worth it to being not worth it varies from person to person. Someone who can't really dedicate much time to cubing might find that 3LLL is the best for them; plain CFOP (basic F2L with 2LLL) is a good point in the tradeoff for many people; and someone who doesn't mind putting in the effort to learn lots of algs might even try out ZBLL or 1LLL.

---

I don't see why you need to mention "full-step" at all when you're focusing on averages. Lucky solves count towards the average too. Also, while I'm railing at bad terminology, "subset" is an insanely abused word in cubing, often used to refer to things that are not meaningfully subsets of a bigger thing. Often the word "set" alone is enough, and also less wrong.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am method neutral for 3x3, so I use CFOP, Roux or 3-style depending on the situation.
The best CFOP has gotten me is a full step 6.5 which is better than my Roux PB of 7.2 seconds.

All methods have their merits, and its good to include all of them in your repertoire.

Steve AC

How can I practice in a productive way that actually gets my average down from a 18 to a 15, and eventually I wanna have a sub-10 PB.

How do I practice having accurate turning and faster TPS?

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
i would practice your grip. a few weeks ago, I changed my f2l grip so that I could stay in home grip for most of my f2l. This allows for a smoother f2l and an easy transition into OLL