• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How did you start cubing?

Tony Acevedo

YouTube
Visit Channel
Be sure to include-(Does NOT have to be in this order)
- what got you started
- what was your first cube
- and what progress you've made.

Be sure to spend some time because your response can be made into a Youtube Video, I go by Kendrick Cuber on Youtube, and I make some high-quality videos so you can trust that I'll make it work. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRl5Rg-LTzCqnh6FQo69frQ/featured

Ayden

Hope this doesn’t embarrass me!
Super lame story about what got me started: I was online, and I was looking at rubik’s cubism. I looked over, and I saw my rubik’s cube sitting there... unsolved. At that point, I decided that it would be cool to start cubing. I looked up a video of how to solve the rubik’s cube. (I started with the 2x2) After I thought I was ready, I started learning how to do the 3x3 I’m not good at cubing. I use the layer by layer method, and I am in the process of learning cfop right now. I have only been cubing for just over a month, so not long at all.

My first cube was the rubik’s brand 2x2— at least the first one I learned how to solve. My first speed cube was the MF3RS2. It’s a pretty good cube.

I have made progress— decreased my times a lot, but have a horrible time. My embarrassing pb is 45 seconds with the layer by layer method. I don’t usually time myself, though. At the beginning, it was about 2:45 seconds. I am really bad at cubing, but I’m trying!

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK, I'll play:

I got started because cubing was a national crazy/fad. Cubes were everywhere in 1980 and 1981 and that's when I started. I was given one either for Christmas or my birthday. I used a book ("The Simply Solution to Rubik's Cube") with the help of my mom to learn how to solve it. I was the only kid in my school who could solve the cube though just about everybody had one.

My first cube was the original Rubik's cube sold by Ideal here in the US.

Progress? When I started trying to get faster, I set a goal for myself of beating 22.95. 22.95 was the first world record, set by Minh Thai in 1982. I remember watching that on TV. I now have a PB of 20.80, have a cubing Youtube channel with almost 600 subscribers, and way more cubes than I should.

Fawn

Always had cubes growing up but never knew how to solve one. First year in high school over a decade ago, somebody taught me how during P.E.. I knew somebody who could solve it in under 30 seconds so I was like, "I gotta beat this guy." Waited until my senior year to actually learn to speedsolve but hey, better late than never, eh?

As an aside, I didn't get a proper speedcube until I was average around 35 seconds. Then I got a Dayan Zhanchi and that cut of like 10 seconds of my times lmao

3Squareheadz

WCA
2018SALO03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was at a mall eating before a soccer game. I saw a V-Cube 3 and decided to buy it..... It was frustrating but I learned to solve it and now I have made a much needed upgrade to a YJ MGC. I used to average 1:30 but after a while it is now 30-40 seconds. pretty boring story.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results

CJCubing

WCA
2019BERN05
I started cubing when there was a competition (Note: Not A WCA Comp) at my school, i practiced, and when we got to the venue (the computer lab), they told us to solve these 4 cubes ranging from fast turning to slow, and they were random scrambles (Hand-scramble) so it was not fair to compare the times. I solve the 4 cubes in under 7 minutes. I was 2nd fastest. My first Cube was the Rubik's Speedcube . I've been cubing for 2 years, and I have finally got to my first official comp in the Philippines. I met a lot of nice people. I have progressed in those 2 years, from 40 seconds to nearly sub-12.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
For me it was like Tabe. I can't remember not having a Rubik's Cube, personally. So I've always played with one off and on. Mostly off. Got into speedcubing last year when I was looking for YouTube videos to relearn how to solve it and I saw Feliks's 4.22 WR. That was when I was still about 4-5 minutes. Imagine how surprised I was that someone can do this in 4 seconds. Haven't stopped since.

Apolo

On the start of January, a friend shown me his cubing skills, he was averaging 25 then he said that he wanted a new cube and he found a 5$ dayan on amazon, he buyed one for me (I couldn't buy on internet with my credit card).
On 19 th of February he gave it to me and I started to learn on internet.
On 20th I did my first ever solve without looking at the solution