• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hi!

SolidJoltBlue

Hi, I am relatively new to cubing and am currently learning Ortega for 2x2, and will eventually get to CFOP for 3x3. I also do pyraminx.

My averages

40 on 3x3
25-30 on 2x2
25-30 for pyraminx.

GAN 356 X

hey SolidJoltBlue! as a sub ten cfop solver, I will advise you NOT to use Roux. Look at the world record averages, almost every single one of them uses cfop, why? because it is better. I am not trying to say Roux is bad, but just take into consideration before you start learning it, that there is a reason more people use cfop. Also, going straight from Roux to beginners is a very hard transition. beginners to cfop will not be easy, but not nearly as hard as transitioning to roux. Also, most people say roux has less algorithms, THIS IS NOT TRUE. There are more algorithms for cfop, but you do not need all of them. More possible algs you can learn just means more room for improvement. Roux and Cfop have about the same least amount of algs to use to solve the cube.
I would recommend sticking with CFOP too, or at least until you get a little better and if you feel CFOP is not for you. Roux does have certain advantages like a lower move count and less algorithms, but it isn't as ergonomic and look ahead and TPS are harder to use. It is also very inspection based too. CFOP on the other hand has several world records under its belt and boasts great TPS and look ahead. One disadvantage is that it does have a higher move count than other methods, but that is made up for with the higher TPS etc... As I said previously, I would try once you are maybe sub-20, so you have a good idea of your turning style. if your TPS isn't as high go with Roux, but if you can turn fast, CFOP is probably better for you. Btw, this is just what I have heard, and I have not tried roux extensively myself, so take this for what you will.

Many people didn't like this vid because it left out important ZZ aspects, but I at least thought it was decent.

Edit: Also pick the one that you feel is funner for you, because it will make speedcubing a better experience for yourself!

Etotheipi

hey SolidJoltBlue! as a sub ten cfop solver, I will advise you NOT to use Roux. Look at the world record averages, almost every single one of them uses cfop, why? because it is better. I am not trying to say Roux is bad, but just take into consideration before you start learning it, that there is a reason more people use cfop. Also, going straight from Roux to beginners is a very hard transition. beginners to cfop will not be easy, but not nearly as hard as transitioning to roux. Also, most people say roux has less algorithms, THIS IS NOT TRUE. There are more algorithms for cfop, but you do not need all of them. More possible algs you can learn just means more room for improvement. Roux and Cfop have about the same least amount of algs to use to solve the cube.
This post just annoys me, and is just wrong.

WCA
2017OWEN01
ok i'm going to break this down
1. You say you are sub 10 but your not according to your WCA profile and your last comp was only a month ago.
2. The reason the 3x3 WR average is set with CFOP is because it has been around a lot longer and also way more people use CFOP. The WR3 average is with Roux and that person has been cubing for the same time as you (their first comp was the same as your first comp, I did my research) which shows the exceptional potential of the method and it is the best method for OH which is why the fastest OH solver uses Roux (Kian Mansour) and so does one of the only other people with an official sub 10 OH average. maybe you should try Roux as you seem to struggle with OH.
3. The reason more people use CFOP is because there are a lot more resources and if you search up Speedcubing method CFOP will come up.
4. The transition to roux is not as hard as you say but this is the one point where I think you are partly correct.
5. Roux has less algorithms you cannot argue with this, this is objective fact, your argument is that you don't need all the algs but even with 2look versions of the methods Roux uses less algs. I honestly have no idea how you believe that CFOP is Equal in alg count.

please try and dispute this/explain you thought process as I don't understand how you thought of some of these especially the last point.

GAN 356 X

I still think choosing which is funner for you is one of the most iportant parts, it will keep practice fun and will motivate you to get better. I personally wish I'd tried out Roux when I was averaging 30 seconds, because if I did switch now I would be bad all over again.

WCA
2017OWEN01
I still think choosing which is funner for you is one of the most iportant parts, it will keep practice fun and will motivate you to get better. I personally wish I'd tried out Roux when I was averaging 30 seconds, because if I did switch now I would be bad all over again.
yeah I just find it annoying when people say x method is better, especially when their arguments are flawed or in this case straight up wrong.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
You say you are sub 10 but your not according to your WCA profile and your last comp was only a month ago.
I was sub ten at the time I went to that competition, I just had to use my backup main(which was garbage) and I could not perform as well with it. Sorry if you think my information was incorrect.