• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Help! fridrich questions, and a few other randoms questions

unirox13

Hey folks,
I've got a few questions that I really hope those of you much better than me will be able to answer for me. i thought about potsin this in the "one answer questions thread", but after thinking about all I wanted to ask ii decided that starting a new thread would probably be easier.

Although I can solve a 3x3 in sub 50 average, I still consider myself to be a newb, so if you don't mind please explain any terminology you use so that i stand a chance of keeping up lol. First things first, I'd love it if one of you could help me identify the method I'm using to solve. I start by solving the cross on top, and then solving all 4 corners of that side. I then flip the cube over, and solve the 4 middle edge pieces completeing the first 2 layers. After that I proceed to solve the last layer. The method I use for the last layer is hard for me to describe as I'm still not clear on the difference between orienting and permuting. Basically I get the top color all the same and then place those pieces into the correct spots to solve the cube.
If someone could please identify this as a method of it's own or at least tell me what methods I'm combining I'd be very appreciative.

Next thing I'd like to ask is for someone to direct me to a good tutorial of the Fridrich method. From what I've read it sounds like the method closest to how I'm already solving and the algorithms in it that I've read seem to be fairly simple. I really would love a tutorial that uses a lot of pictures as well as decent descriptions of what needs to happen in order to solve the cube. Mainly I'm concerned with learning F2L so a tutorial that focused heavily on that step and the algorithms and situations associated with it would be great. Also I'd prefer it not be video format as I have a terribly slow internet connection. PDF or text files are definitely what I prefer. Anyone that would like to add info on the Fridrich method or throw some helpful tips my way is more than welcome to.

Lastly(this part should be pretty simple) can someone post a link to pictures or a video of how to adjust the tension on a dayan 4x4? 3 of the 6 sides on mine are incredibly tight while the others are waaay too loose, I'd like to find a fovorable balance.

Thanks a lot to anyone that decided to bear with the newb, read this far, and to help me out.
Max

jiggy

I know you said you don't really want a video tutorial, but honesty the best Fridrich F2L tutorial out there is Meph's. Part 1 and Part 2.

Alternately, Andy makes amazing PDFs. (EDIT: Although, Andy's PDFs teach algorithmic vs Meph's intuitive. Intuitive is certainly easier to learn...)

*Hi5* Waffo for the fantastic CFOP advice.

Last edited:

unirox13

alternatively, I could tell him to use roux...but I'm too lazy to link him to the billions of (actually 2) resources for roux.

actually i wouldn't mind learning roux. from what i've read it looks pretty interesting.

Zarxrax

The method I use for the last layer is hard for me to describe as I'm still not clear on the difference between orienting and permuting. Basically I get the top color all the same and then place those pieces into the correct spots to solve the cube.

Orienting: Making the top color the same
Permuting: Moving the top pieces around.

jiggy

Well, if I'm honest, the best Roux resource I've seen is right here. (Waffle, I'll edit this link out if you want me to.)

unirox13

roux has me alittle stumped. i get that i need to solve the 1x2x3 block on either side, but do those blocks need to be correctly placed? ie say i solve the red block first, do the blue, yellow, and green edge pieces need to be properly placed in that block or is it ony necessary that the edge pieces and corner pieces that you pair match? sorry if that makes little to no sense lol

jiggy

I think I understand what you're getting at. Yes, the blocks do need to be one solid piece, it's not enough for them to just be made up of smaller blocks.
rouxchart3.jpg

So this image, for example, (which is what I suspect may have confused you slightly) is referring to the order in which the block was construed, but the block itself is still one solid block by the end of the first step.

Ok, this is the part where I embarrass myself with my terrible block building skilz. (What do you want from me? I don't speedsolve with Roux!)

For example, at the end of your first block, you want your cube to look something like this. (You can click the cube and drag it around to look at other faces.) See the solid blue block?

After your second block, you would want something like this. It's important to notice that the two blocks are solved with respect to each other, but not necessarily with respect to the rest of the cube (notice the U, F, D and B centres). So, you should see that both block share the same D face colour (white, in this case.) and opposite face colours (blue and green here).

I'm so ashamed of my move count.

Last edited:

MrMoney

WCA
2009SULE01
Chances are high that you will never become one of the best speedsolvers in the world. A reality in many sports. So the question is, do you go for the generic CFOP (stop calling it Fridrich people) and become mediocre or go for the fun method Roux?

If I could go back in time I would def choose Roux from start.

unirox13

I think I understand what you're getting at. Yes, the blocks do need to be one solid piece, it's not enough for them to just be made up of smaller blocks.
rouxchart3.jpg

So this image, for example, (which is what I suspect may have confused you slightly) is referring to the order in which the block was construed, but the block itself is still one solid block by the end of the first step.

Ok, this is the part where I embarrass myself with my terrible block building skilz. (What do you want from me? I don't speedsolve with Roux!)

For example, at the end of your first block, you want your cube to look something like this. (You can click the cube and drag it around to look at other faces.) See the solid blue block?

After your second block, you would want something like this. It's important to notice that the two blocks are solved with respect to each other, but not necessarily with respect to the rest of the cube (notice the U, F, D and B centres). So, you should see that both block share the same D face colour (white, in this case.) and opposite face colours (blue and green here).

I'm so ashamed of my move count.

while not exactly what i was asking, it did answer my question. i was more confused as the whether or not the blocks that i built needed to be correct in relation to the other sides that i had in place. for example in your picture of the two solved blocks i wasn't sure whether or not the orange, red, and white edge pieces had to be built on the the orange, red, and whiete sides respectively.

jiggy

Ah, I see what you're saying now. I wasn't sure if I would answer your question fully, which is why I went into a bit of extra detail at the end to be safe. Glad to have helped.

cubefan4848

WCA
2011FLAY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
ROUX IS A *****! lol step 4b in this http://wafflelikescubes.webs.com/rouxmethod.htm tutorial is kicking my ****ing ass. please please please give me some advice peoples. i always end up with a situation that looks to me nothing even remotely similar to the situations described :/

Something you may be able to do is make a video of what you are doing so we can look at it and help you with what you are doing wrong