• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hello Folks, new sub 2 (min) here!

Which cubes should I buy, as a good cuber in beginners method without a speedcube, and a sub2 min PB

• 3x3, 2x2, Pyraminx

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3x3, 4x4, Pyraminx

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi everyone. I am a new cuber, from India. I solved my cube after looking at tutorials for 5 hrs. It has been 3.5 days since I started an I average around 2 minutes. I have a chunky cube which can be said as a toy. I am very fluent (at least considering my cube) in the Beginner's Method.I am currently learning CFOP or Fedrich's method, however you like to say :)

My birthday is in a couple weeks, and I am planning to buy a speedcube and a couple others. The one I chose in less budget and good quality, was the QiYi MS 3x3.
I am also planning on getting a QiYi MS 2x2, and a Pyramnix or 4x4 (or both, who knows?)

I would like to get a few suggestions on speed cubing as a hobby, and also some suggestions that which out of the above 4 should I get. And what other budget alternative there is......

My budget per cube is 6-10$ (converted to INR is 450-800)

Welcome to the forum! if you want, please learn any method other than CFOP, be unique, every CFOP spot is already taken. But if you don't that's fine :)
I would recommend buying the whole MS series when you're starting out :)
edit: no, forget what I said learn CFOP if you want to be world-class easily, but take a look at other methods too.

Last edited:
Z

Zubin Park

Yeah, the entire MS series is good for starting out. CFOP is most common for cubers to transition into, but make sure you watch a video from jperm outlining the differences between the 3 big methods, roux, zz, and CFOP. Also, another video by him came out yesterday showing the general order you should learn CFOP, if that interests you.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, the entire MS series is good for starting out. CFOP is most common for cubers to transition into, but make sure you watch a video from jperm outlining the differences between the 3 big methods, roux, zz, and CFOP. Also, another video by him came out yesterday showing the general order you should learn CFOP, if that interests you.
You should check out all the methods, and decide what you want to do.

Hi, and thanks everyone for your suggestions. The 5x5 is a little too big and expensive, so I'll skip on it. I just ordered the rest of them, and they'll in arrive 1- weeks. I will surely look into that video of Roux, ZZ, CFOP. But correct me if I am wrong, ZZ is the most alg intensive in these 3?
Also I did watch Jperm's video yesterday. :)
I am currently fine in solving the white cross on bottom and the edges of the 2 step OLL, a little bit of beginner F2L and a little 2 Look PLL

NeoBridgeburn

Welvome to the forums!
First of all, I applaud your decisiveness, when I decide what to buy I'm constantly doubting myself and changing my mind.
Second of all, alg intensiveness is often good, even though it's often not the most fun choice. For example, Petrus is just super fun to dabble with, even if you arent timing yourself, Roux is just awesome(I cant describe it) , and Cfop is the most popular method. In my opinion, the other methods have the potential to surpass Cfop in popularity and speed, but just dont because of how much Cfop appeals to beginners.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
All of the main speedsolving methods are good for 3x3. You can use CFOP, Roux, ZZ, or Petrus and get sub 10 with all of them. Right now Roux and CFOP seem like the best options for speed. The reason why you should not learn Roux is because (unless you want to master Roux and CFOP) You can't be very good at 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, or 7x7.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

Best advice so far. I will say that J Perm is pretty hard on ZZ in the video, because he's talking about EOLine and also doesn't have much experience, but overall it's a good guide

EvanTheCuber

Hi there, here is a very useful website(CFOP). https://jperm.net/.

It gives you all the information you need. You should start with Beginner OLL and Beginner PLL. And you really should be color neutral(build your cross not the best color and not the color your right now most comfortable in.). After your sub 1 minute, I recommend learning some F2L.