• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hello everyone! I've joined this site because the lockdown is getting to me and I want to improve my 3x3x3 time!

GAN 356 X

I run a MoYu WeiLong GTS 3 with sunflower and canola oil lubricant because my dad is too cheap to let me buy the silicone based stuff. My cube is so slippery it keeps on falling out of my hands and also smells like the back of a KFC.
I'd really recommend buying a proper lubricant, it will be so much better in the long run. You can get something like traxxas 50k in a size that will last you many many years for around 8-10 dollars. I dunno if its in USD or not but that is very cheap

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd really recommend buying a proper lubricant, it will be so much better in the long run. You can get something like traxxas 50k in a size that will last you many many years for around 8-10 dollars. I dunno if its in USD or not but that is very cheap
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind when I can get my own online shopping account!

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I run a MoYu WeiLong GTS 3 with sunflower and canola oil lubricant because my dad is too cheap to let me buy the silicone based stuff. My cube is so slippery it keeps on falling out of my hands and also smells like the back of a KFC.
Wow.

Welcome to the forums!

expect to see your times halved once you cube isn't covered in sunflower and canola oil:oops:

CodingCuber

WCA
2019HERR14
there are also some lubes that are good even cheaper than that

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha KFC! Welcome to the forums. Good luck with the lube scenario, it sounds like you are still getting good times despite the hardware drama though. There is a thread specifically for COVID-19 related goals below. Many of us are finding extra time to cube since we're just stuck at home.

1cubealot

Welcome!!

I have a couple of tips

1. Buy some maru lube and clean out your cube
  2. Practice
  3. Solve both yellow and white cross (assuming you learnt on white cross)
  4. Practice
  5. Learn all F2L algs
  6. Learn 2 look OLL and full PLL
  7. Practice some more

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel

Welcome to the forums,
I was in a similar position to you in the lubricant sense, testing out different household options with none really working too well. Depending on where you are from, there could be some super cheap options that work.

The first lubricant I bought was a "Core RC 50,000cst Silicone Oil", which is essentially a thick silicone lubricant.

They also come in a variety of thicknesses which correspond to the number before "cst". 60ml is a tonne when it comes to lubricants, and it will definitely last you several years, so when you are in the position where you can buy lubricants, I would recommend checking the ebay of your country to see if they have some of this.

Once again, welcome to the forums. We hope you are safe and well during these difficult times. Please don't hesitate in future to drop further questions and the community will be happy to resolve any issues or queries you may have, particularly with regards to the lube scenario.

Happy Cubing.

brododragon

NeoBridgeburn

If you want a good lube that you can find at home, I recommend olive oil. You can wipe away the external slipperiness with a wet tissue and it doesnt really smell. Fair watning though, it takes a few hours to break in.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want a good lube that you can find at home, I recommend olive oil. You can wipe away the external slipperiness with a wet tissue and it doesnt really smell. Fair watning though, it takes a few hours to break in.
I'm gonna have to say no to that chief. Its not worth the risk of ruining your hardware forever, not to mention it does not have a permanent shelf life so eventually it will go bad inside your cube. A bottle of Traxxas is like 9 bucks from your local hobby shop and it's actually my favorite silicon lube.

NeoBridgeburn

I'm gonna have to say no to that chief. Its not worth the risk of ruining your hardware forever, not to mention it does not have a permanent shelf life so eventually it will go bad inside your cube.
Ok, thanks for the advice. Im struggling with buying cube related stuff rn and my local hobby shop is selling really weird mods and knockoff YuXin Little Magics that wear away from the inside (the things keeping the edges in the cube are just randomly falling out mid solve) and my online store is legit sold out of every single lube.

brododragon

Ok, thanks for the advice. Im struggling with buying cube related stuff rn and my local hobby shop is selling really weird mods and knockoff YuXin Little Magics that wear away from the inside (the things keeping the edges in the cube are just randomly falling out mid solve) and my online store is legit sold out of every single lube.
Amazon is good for traxxas, as its actually diff lube.