• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hello and Help!

Pawel

I have questions regarding scoring.

I started implementing Leaderboards and Achievements... I would love your input. (Btw. if anyone wants to play on Android, please let me know. It works much smoother than WebGL, plus the GooglePlay Leaderboards are almost there. I will create iOS version after I finish Android)

Here is my thought:

1) Each level will have a separate leaderboard.

2) Since every scramble is different, it probably would make more sense to post an average time of several games, rather than the exact result of a single play. If so, an average of how many games should be reported? 3? 5? more?

3) Should the score be reported automatically or should there be a button for reporting scores?

4) Should there be an alternative scoring system for the least number of moves instead of time?

5) Should I allow reporting scores of games that were played over and over many times?

As to achievements --

a) the first one would be a badge for simply playing multiple games (After how many plays do you get a badge?)

b) 3 more badges would be after hitting certain low time averages (with different setting for different levels)

c) 4th badge would be for solving the 3rd level for the first time.

d) Solving the Layer 4 does require a mastery so this would be a big one. (I still was not able to do this -- the closest I've come was withing 3 misplaced tiles. I will need to create some training settings for level 4 as I did for level 3)

Any thoughts?

Pawel

Update.

1) First of all, I created an open beta version Rotosphere for Android which is already available now at GooglePlay (as Early Access). It has leaderboards for all levels -- I am not sure if they work correctly. Right now it reports the time of each individual game. The user has an option to report it or not. The leaderboards can be accessed at any time from the bottom icon (Google PlayGames is very vague about how they convert my input to their score. I've read that it is in milliseconds, so this is how I am reporting the time, but I am not sure if it is correct. Hopefully, I will not have to redo the leaderboards before the official release)... Apple devices will have to wait until everything on Android is finalized. (My fat and juicy computer is of the PC persuasion... I only have a "skinny" Mac for whenever I am porting things to iOS).

2) I decided to program UNDOs -- especially for levels 3 and 4. (This is not ready yet). It will allow you to go back...

3) There will be an option to continue the unfinished game from the previous session. Possibly it will also be saved in the cloud, so it can be played on a different device.

4) Level 4 (so far nobody solved it yet) does not have the game end detection, but it can be played. It is much harder to solve then level 3 and so far I have not been able to figure out the steps to precisely move individual tiles into final positions. The game setup "3" on level 4 puts the game into the solved position, so it allows to experiment with steps back (As solved Rubik's cube would).

If you have an Android phone or tablet, take RotoSphere for a spin and let me know of any issues you run into... Again, it is available in GooglePlay as an open beta.

Pawel

I will refer to RotoSphere as “ 6d Puzzles “ after all – This is to differentiate them somehow from all the “3d” puzzles out there. As per comments here, it is a bit of a tongue and cheek phrase which I will qualify with “ 6 directional puzzle “ . (Directions do not need to be perpendicular to each other ;))

This may or may not have a viral potential… What do you think?

There is already some interest I am getting from opening-up the beta program on GooglePlay... (Early access, not full release yet.)

If it is successful as a mobile app, I am considering making levels 3 and 4 as a physical puzzle -- this geometry is more challenging and Rubik's cube-like... Now I am sure level 4 is solvable. I added the option of having numbers on the tiles to track down the results of a series of moves... I have not posted this version anywhere yet, since there were no requests for this.

Last edited: