• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Guide to Transitioning to 3-Cycle BLD

JemFish

The starter post is brilliant. I'm very lucky, because I did read that post by Mike Hughey, quite accidentally, and even more lucky that I stumbled upon this post!

SpeedCuber71

WCA
2014BHAT09
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys! I have watched all of Noah's tutorials and completely understand how Corner and Edge comms work now! But i still need a list of algs of corner comms to look at. I couldn't find one anywhere. Can someone link me to one if it exists? Thanks.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
that's a really awesome feature! can you link me to his site?
i'm interested in developing something like that... thanks!

I like your list of algs. But can you give an alg for GJ. In your list it's written it's mirror of OL. But there's no OL and in LO that it's mirror of GJ. There's a lot such loops in your list. ;) I try to learn edge comms and figured out a trick like z' D; [M', U' R U] but don't know if there's somethin better.

Meneghetti

Premium Member
WCA
2012MENE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like your list of algs. But can you give an alg for GJ. In your list it's written it's mirror of OL. But there's no OL and in LO that it's mirror of GJ. There's a lot such loops in your list. ;) I try to learn edge comms and figured out a trick like z' D; [M', U' R U] but don't know if there's somethin better.

lol thanks for pointing that out, Grzegorz! I was afraid loops like these could end up happening... fixed it!

The good side of having a list with algs written like that, instead of the full sequence of moves that we execute, is that we are forced to understand what's happening in the commutator. It makes it easier to study the list as a whole and to understand the similarities between the cases. I know it sucks when you are only looking for one specific case and you get in those cycles of setups, though...

For "GJ" edges, I used to use the commutator you mentioned, but then I switched to this one: [Uw L2; U' M' U, L]
The Uw move sets up "J" to "F", which makes it a "GF" case. Then, L2 makes it a pure commutator as in the "EH" case, cancelling out one move.

I also noticed my "GJ" corners comm wasn't updated. Now I set it up to "GB" using an R move, instead of setting it up to "VI" with an F' move.

I'm glad you are using my list! :)

Last edited:

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol thanks for pointing that out, Grzegorz! I was afraid loops like these could end up happening... fixed it!

The good side of having a list with algs written like that, instead of the full sequence of moves that we execute, is that we are forced to understand what's happening in the commutator. It makes it easier to study the list as a whole and to understand the similarities between the cases. I know it sucks when you are only looking for one specific case and you get in those cycles of setups, though...

For "GJ" edges, I used to use the commutator you mentioned, but then I switched to this one: [Uw L2; U' M' U, L]
The Uw move sets up "J" to "F", which makes it a "GF" case. Then, L2 makes it a pure commutator as in the "EH" case, cancelling out one move.

I also noticed my "GJ" corners comm wasn't updated. Now I set it up to "GB" using an R move, instead of setting it up to "VI" with an F' move.

Thank you Diego for fixing it. I knew corner comms for a year and use it for few months. And I think I got how edge comms work - a lot of them seems much easier than corners comms but sometimes I'm not sure how to make a setup and solve a case. I got my list too - it's finished for corners and now I'm adding edges but only ones I've understood. The trick you used for GJ is easy when you know it but I could never figure it earlier by myself. :) Same the trick for GB for corners is very nice. I use sometimes U as a setup to create easier cases but never tried it in this case.

Your list is very usefull! :)

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I'm slowly transitioning to 3style and I was looking through your list again. Another loop in edges: HP = mNF = no NF but it's a inv of FN = mHP... :)

Meneghetti

Premium Member
WCA
2012MENE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm slowly transitioning to 3style and I was looking through your list again. Another loop in edges: HP = mNF = no NF but it's a inv of FN = mHP... :)

Thanks again! Fixed it!

I solve "FN" edges doing an R' setup, which makes it an "FM" case. Then, a cancelling U move makes it a pure "FI".
11 moves, no regrips.
[R' U; U L' U', M']