• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Gan 354 M

Datak

WCA
2010ATAK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I bought a Gan 354 about a week ago and it delivered yesterday, and I must say, I am impressed with the cube. It is very smooth, fast and very controllable, and I love the stickerless shades (still getting used to them though). Coming from a Valk or a GTS 2m, going from 55.5mm to 54 mm is not too difficult for me (but I feel this is different from person to person) and as someone who does have smaller hands I think after about a week of use once my hands and my turning style re-adapts to the smaller size my averages will probably really get much faster (currently 9 second avg).

Now something that was a bit disappointing with the puzzle is definitely the GES v3 nuts. So if you don't know already, there are now 4 GES nuts instead of the original 6 colors: Yellow, Blue, Green and Purple, going from strongest to weakest, respectively. After trying out the green nuts, blue nuts and yellow nuts, I didnt even bother trying out the purple nuts. Every single color is completely useless except for the yellow nuts, the cube is much much worse if you don't use those nuts. Blue can be used I guess if you prefer it (more of a loose feel) however I would not even bother. If you ordered this cube, first thing you should do is take out the green nuts that it comes with and put the yellow ones in.

This brings me to the second problem with the ges system. If you remember, the Air SM, when you put a different color nut to tighten or loosen the cube, you essentially keep screwing in the nut until the metal stalk from the core lines up with the nut, making the surface completely flat. This is not the case with these nuts. These nuts need to be tightened way far past that threshold than how the SM was in order for it to become useful.

That being said when you put the yellow nuts in and tighten the cube up, it's pretty good but the cube is like the Valk Power, it takes a while to set it up to make it incredible. I spent about 40 minutes lubing it, putting traxxas 30k, lubicle black, some galaxy lube from SCS, weight 3 from Cubicle and Lubicle one from Cubicle. The cube really became good when I put the lubicle one into the cube. I put about 5 drops onto the primary internal of the pieces and the controllability became perfect. I have only had the cube for about the day, so I am still using it however I am loving it so far. I am retensioning it here and there but I am sure I will find the perfect setting.

In total, I definitely would recommend getting this cube, it is truly incredible, and I think Max Park would agree since he got a 6.09 avg officially on it this past week!

Datak

WCA
2010ATAK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How's the cube now
The cube is still very good, but I would definitely recommend using angstrom lube with it. I got a 6.51 official single with it and 5 minutes before competing I put some angstrom lube in it to control it and its a very good 2 handed cube. Right now, I am using the GTS 3m and I really like that cube so I am in a bit of a toss-up on which one I will use as my main.

SauceObtainer

YouTube
Visit Channel
The cube is still very good, but I would definitely recommend using angstrom lube with it. I got a 6.51 official single with it and 5 minutes before competing I put some angstrom lube in it to control it and its a very good 2 handed cube. Right now, I am using the GTS 3m and I really like that cube so I am in a bit of a toss-up on which one I will use as my main.
You should put it to use and use for oh if you do oh

Hazel

Premium Member
I love the 354 and I have small hands so the size is fine, but I just prefer the GTS3 :p
Also I've noticed that everyone seems to prefer the yellow nuts in GAN cubes but I've always found that I like the cube less after switching to yellow nuts so I'll be switching back to blue on the 354.

emps

I love the 354 and I have small hands so the size is fine, but I just prefer the GTS3 :p
Also I've noticed that everyone seems to prefer the yellow nuts in GAN cubes but I've always found that I like the cube less after switching to yellow nuts so I'll be switching back to blue on the 354.
why do you prefer the gts3m over the 354? the ridges make it feel bigger. or do you just prefer the feel of the gts3m?

also gts3m > gan 354

Hazel

Premium Member
why do you prefer the gts3m over the 354? the ridges make it feel bigger. or do you just prefer the feel of the gts3m?

also gts3m > gan 354
The ridges don't make it feel bigger to me, mostly because the majority of the contact between my fingers and the puzzle is on the inside of the faces, so I don't actually touch the ridges all that much. I kind of like the ridges for some reason even though they don't help with anything.
To answer your question though, it's mostly the feel yes :p I really like it.

mitja

WCA
2016POPO02
I would agree about blue nuts. I think they are the best for this cube. I know yellow ones were good for older Gan cubes but, I tried them and they are too strong for 354. So far, blue are great. This is very stable cube for Gan but not as gts3 or valk. I do have gts3 and it is also amazing. I am still trying to decide which one I prefere more.

ecuber57

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have small hands so I use the 354 as my main. I wiped the cube out and put some moyu lube v2 in( I am working on getting speedy and silk from the cubicle) and it is now super good.