• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

GAN 13 Maglev

Ander

complicated tension system (reminds me of a Lego gear). just goes to show how Moyu nailed their dual adjustment the first time around
Actually it seems easier than the 12 and the XS which I both have. I'll have to have a look at the Moyu (which one do you mean?)

Kaiju_cube

Damn they just get worse. The world is going backwards rn

that's why I keep thinking the Gan 356 M Lite is the best cube. It's $25. It performs extremely well and it's a Gan and has that soft/smooth Gan feel to it while turning.

I have (I think) all the Gans and I stopped collecting them at Gan 11. I'll pick up a 12 when the price drops quite a bit. But other than the Gan Air (to me) they all feel very similar. Though I admit I haven't tried their Maglev cube, but all my Gan cubes feel very similar. From the very expensive ones all the way down to a $25. one. They all have that Gan feel.

If someone wants a Gan but can't afford a $70-$80 cube I'd really still recommend the 356 M Lite. Or the Gan 11 Duo (more expensive), that's another great cube they made at a more affordable price.

I really don't do tons of adjustments on cube's other than cleaning and lubing. I think it's neat so many cubes have all these adjustment systems and I suppose there are people that really get into that, but I don't. I just take it out of the box and start turning. I have dozens and dozens of boxes with stands and tools and springs and magnets and I'm starting to even wonder why I keep all the boxes because I never touch them again after I remove the cube from them.

Imsoosm

Yes you can, but an RS3M is not a GAN. And having 9 of them doesn't make them a GAN either.
The RS3M is a great cube. It might even be better to some people than the Gan 13. Imo Gan 12 is basically Gan 11 with a new box and maglev, and Gan 13 is basically a Gan 12 with more magnets and an opaque box and a higher price. Instead of making a 3x3 flagship every year they should instead focus on some other puzzles, like improvements on their 4x4 and megaminx.

There are a lot of puzzles that are much cheaper than Gan cubes and aren't far off or even better than Gan's performance.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
The RS3M is a great cube. It might even be better to some people than the Gan 13. Imo Gan 12 is basically Gan 11 with a new box and maglev, and Gan 13 is basically a Gan 12 with more magnets and an opaque box and a higher price. Instead of making a 3x3 flagship every year they should instead focus on some other puzzles, like improvements on their 4x4 and megaminx.

There are a lot of puzzles that are much cheaper than Gan cubes and aren't far off or even better than Gan's performance.
That would be great. But GAN knows where to make their money and it won't be with 4x4 or Megaminx or even a new 5x5. Are you going to put design effort into a puzzle that may sell 5000 copies vs a puzzle that will sell 50 000 copies. The 3x3 is the flagship of twisty puzzles and most people don't progress beyond that. Even some top cubers do not compete in the other WCA events.

You've also over simplified the differences between the GAN 11, 12 & 13. There is a lot of R&D that goes into the designs, and there have been changes.

You may not like the price, fair enough. Then don't buy it. Quite simple really. If you believe the RS3M suites you more, good on you and go for it. For what it's worth I think the RS3M is very over rated when compared to flagship cubes, but well worth it and best in the budget to mid market.

For myself I find the performance on the GAN better than any other flagship 3x3, and has constantly been improved in each iteration. I look forward to what their next one will be and hope I have some spare cash at the time to get one.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That would be great. But GAN knows where to make their money and it won't be with 4x4 or Megaminx or even a new 5x5. Are you going to put design effort into a puzzle that may sell 5000 copies vs a puzzle that will sell 50 000 copies. The 3x3 is the flagship of twisty puzzles and most people don't progress beyond that. Even some top cubers do not compete in the other WCA events.
That's very true, GAN does have very clever marketing, and as long as people keep thinking they're the best, they'll keep selling new cubes even if they are overpriced and underperforming.

You've also over simplified the differences between the GAN 11, 12 & 13. There is a lot of R&D that goes into the designs, and there have been changes.
Sure, there are some other differences, but nothing very large, and in my opinion not really anything to justify a new name. People get mad about the rs3 m 2021, because it's basically just an rs3 with maglev. That sounds a lot like the difference between the 11 and 12.
You may not like the price, fair enough. Then don't buy it. Quite simple really. If you believe the RS3M suites you more, good on you and go for it. For what it's worth I think the RS3M is very over rated when compared to flagship cubes, but well worth it and best in the budget to mid market.
Sure, you may like gan cubes, that's fine. But just because some people like them doesn't make them the best or close to it.
For myself I find the performance on the GAN better than any other flagship 3x3, and has constantly been improved in each iteration. I look forward to what their next one will be and hope I have some spare cash at the time to get one.
Good for you, I hope you enjoy it.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
That's very true, GAN does have very clever marketing, and as long as people keep thinking they're the best, they'll keep selling new cubes even if they are overpriced and underperforming.

Sure, there are some other differences, but nothing very large, and in my opinion not really anything to justify a new name. People get mad about the rs3 m 2021, because it's basically just an rs3 with maglev. That sounds a lot like the difference between the 11 and 12.

Sure, you may like gan cubes, that's fine. But just because some people like them doesn't make them the best or close to it.

Good for you, I hope you enjoy it.
To say that the GAN 12 is just an 11 with maglev is a stretch. The tensioning system changed as well as the core magnet system. If you think the GAN is an underperforming cube, again fair enough. I don't agree.

I do like GAN cubes, I've been pretty open with that. By the same token if you love the RS3M it doesn't make it the best choice for everyone. Each to their own.

I get annoyed with the hate that GAN gets, mostly for the price of their cubes. Yes they are expensive, they have never been as cheap as other flagships ... ever. I remember getting the GAN 356s V2 when the Aolong V2 was still the cube to have and the GAN was twice the price of the Aolong and in fact all other cubes at the time. I wasn't sure that I wanted to spend that much on a cube but I did it anyway because I wanted to see if it was that much better. For me it was and I had done many thousands of solves on my Aolong at that point. I still have that very Aolong and enjoy doing some solves on.

Sure you can complain about the price. Do I wish they were less expensive, 100%. Am I going to be able to make GAN sell them for less, no. Am I going to buy the GAN 13, definitely.

Seriously, people need to stop whining about the price of GAN cubes. We all know they are expensive. The only way to stop that is to not buy them forcing GAN to re-evaluate their position in the market and what is an acceptable price. Currently the price charged is still acceptable to a great many people, myself included. Considering that I buy one 3x3 a year that I end up doing 10's of thousands of solves on, while expensive is a worth while price to pay.

Kaiju_cube

I love my Gan cubes. But I also love my DaYan, my Yuxin, my MGC, Valk, Meilong, etc. Whatever one you use the most you get used to. I almost always have a Gan or DaYan on my desk so I guess they're my favorites. But I like them all.

Do I really think a Gan is worth 3x the price of a DaYan Tengyun or Zhangchi? No not really. But I like the feel of Gan and how soft and smooth the turning is so I guess that's the price you pay.

I do wish everyone boycotted Gan for a year or so and forced them to reevaluate their prices, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

It's interesting to me however that JPerms signature cube is the RS3M, when he could easily be using a Gan or whatever he wanted.

Would be nice if Gan would stop kicking the prices up all the time though. It would be easier to accept a $50 or even $60 cube a lot easier than it is to accept an $80. cube. Once you really start getting near $100. for a 3x3 my wallet clutches it's chest and falls down. I just don't think any 3x3 cube is worth $80., no matter how nice it is or how much R&D went into it.

Not when you can buy fantastic cubes (even fantastic Gan cubes like the 356 M Lite) for $25.

Gan has fantastic branding and marketing departments though. They've really gotten good at selling the hype. And there's no shortage of people that insist Gan is the absolute pinnacle of cubing, the best of the best, the 'Apple' of cubing. As long as that kind of hype exists they will continue to charge massive prices for their product, <just like Apple.>

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
😵
Sold out as well lol

Attachments

• B19B50F0-C2D0-4746-8C93-EB4B82AA9FA8.png
    B19B50F0-C2D0-4746-8C93-EB4B82AA9FA8.png
    638.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Wow
Reactions: qwr

Sion

I think the reason why GAN is so popular is because they're more or less the undisputed king of flexible speedcube hardware. Granted I have an earlier post that is far more in depth on this issue, but something that needs to be mentioned is that they pretty much have a stronghold on the flexible mech. Companies such as peak, yj, and others have tried making similar products in the forms of the s3r and evo respectively, but both have significant issues that GAN's lineup lacks.

Most other cubes on the market are either too stable (which as a whole isn't a bad thing, but in making a GAN-like cube is not reminiscent), or too heavy. There isn't really any cube that manages to accomplish the combination of traits the GAN design has at present.

Had GAN not had such a unique placement in terms of their weight and feel, chances are those prices they are demanding would be pretty much impossible to maintain. GAN inherently has a lot of qualities its competitors don't have, and I'm pretty sure GAN would like to keep it that way.

Edit: I only make these posts to try and explain GAN's unique position in the market that allows them to do what they are presently doing.

Personally, I prefer a more stable puzzle, so GAN cubes aren't necessarily for me. Many cubers tend to like them though, which is perfectly fine in my eyes! As a product designer myself, I have a deep respect for my fellow rival designers for staying true to what they believe makes a good speedcube as I do with mine.

Last edited: