• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Frequently Asked Questions About WCA Competitions

Samuel Baird

WCA
2016BAIR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm going to register for a competition and the registration is open tomorrow and I haven't gone to a competition. However I already signed up for another competition that happens before the competition that I am going to sign up for. Is it going to be a problem that I am going to sign up as a first timer but I will have already gone to a competition and already have a WCA ID by the time I get to the competition that signing up for?
That shouldn’t be a problem at all :) after your first competition your wca id will be associated with your account

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
No precise detail here, but they are virtually always on weekends main exception is when the comp is more than a 2-day event. When I organised a comp it was a 1-day Saturday

Samuel Baird

WCA
2016BAIR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm working on a project related to wca competitions and I want to know:

when does a competition occurs? only on sunday, on sunday and saturday, or may it happen in other days?
They can occur on any day of the week but tend to happen on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. For example, this competition series will have competitions from Wednesday to Sunday

sDLfj

WCA
2023RIDN01
In a competition is it possible that multiple cubes will be turned in at once? When I eventually compete should I get a 3rd warm-up 3x3 since I would compete in 3x3 and 3x3 OH?

In a competition is it possible that multiple cubes will be turned in at once? When I eventually compete should I get a 3rd warm-up 3x3 since I would compete in 3x3 and 3x3 OH?
I wouldn't because you can use the same warm up cube for both events and you don't want to waste money. But that's just what I would do, so feel free to do what you think you should.
when does a competition occurs? only on sunday, on sunday and saturday, or may it happen in other days?
Generally on the weekend, but many also happen on national holidays.
Should a first timer be allowed to judge in their first competition?

Or should they be only allowed to compete in the events they have marked for participation?
I think that first times Should be able to judge as generally it is covered in the new competitors tutorial. However, they should probably just judge when they fell veryou comfortable.

I think that first times Should be able to judge as generally it is covered in the new competitors tutorial. However, they should probably just judge when they fell veryou comfortable.
The main issue with letting first timer judge is that especially for kids they might not know how some of the rules work. I'm might saying that applies to all kids, just some. In my last competition, I was competing in the first group and literally around 4 kids who were judges didn't how to start the timer and one judge did not even lift the cover after I said ready 5 times.

NmeCuber

WCA
2022ETHR01
The main issue with letting first timer judge is that especially for kids they might not know how some of the rules work. I'm might saying that applies to all kids, just some. In my last competition, I was competing in the first group and literally around 4 kids who were judges didn't how to start the timer and one judge did not even lift the cover after I said ready 5 times.
The main problem at the comp I went too was that people didn't say 8 seconds or twelve seconds of inspection had passed

The main problem at the comp I went too was that people didn't say 8 seconds or twelve seconds of inspection had passed
Yeah you'll get an extra for that. Its happened to me too. I usually know when 8 is usually called (since I comepte quite a bit) and I just do the solve especially if its a good scramble.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
if a cube pops and the pieces fall on the floor, and I assemble the cube back in, what are the rules about how to assemble it back?

for example, If I had pure headlights and the cube pops and I assemble it solved, would it be against the rules?

Last edited:

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
if a cube pops and the pieces fall on the floor, and I assemble the cube back in, what are the rules about how to assemble it back?

for example, If I had pure headlights and the cube pops and I assemble it solved, would it be agains the rules?

It would be against the rules to assemble it solved in that case. Here's the specific regulation: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#5b2

5b3 is also relevant here - it talks about what to do if you accidentally reassemble the cube in an unsolvable state.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

xyzzy

It would be against the rules to assemble it solved in that case. Here's the specific regulation: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#5b2
Probably worth elaborating that this only applies if you knew the cube was in a headlights OLL. If not, I don't think it's remotely fair to penalise a competitor trying to reassemble the puzzle into a definitely-solvable state, rather than randomly reassembling and hoping that it's solvable. That doesn't count as an advantage.

If I get a corner twist, I'm not going to spend 2 seconds figuring out how to twist a fixed corner to make it solvable (because I haven't trained in TCLL recognition); I'll choose one that's easiest to recognise. Like if there's only one twisted corner in the last layer, of course I'm twisting that one, rather than twisting another corner to get a T/U/L case.

xyzzy

In a competition is it possible that multiple cubes will be turned in at once?
Also, old post, but since nobody properly answered this: this will not be a problem at almost every competition. The organisers know not to schedule popular events together. In fact, events are usually not held simultaneously at all: you finish doing one event, then you submit your puzzles for the next event.

(It seems common at comps with both FMC and multiblind that competitors will submit all-but-three of their multiblind cubes, use those three cubes for FMC while scramblers scramble the rest of their cubes, then submit three more cubes afterwards. Not exactly the same situation as what you're asking about, but it's probably the closest.)

Davian

WCA
2022PLAT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
How often do competitors on the waiting list actually get in to competitions?

I have reason to believe I am at or toward the top of the waiting list for an upcoming comp (My son got in and we made that payment only 11 seconds before the payment for my registration, according to our receipts). If I'm, say, #3 on the list for a 100 person competition, does that give me a good chance of getting in? Or do most competitions move forward with no people cancelling or getting disqualified? This competition closed registration after only 24 minutes and has nearly 100 people on the waiting list, so it's highly sought after. I don't imagine there are too many people who will back out.
I had this once too. I mailed my local delegate and he said that on the last week of registration, most people get moved to participant list as most people say that they cant go.

stevish