• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Emphasize that a request for help or a question should make this clear in the title

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could we try to encourage people to clarify their titles, so it's CLEAR that they are asking for information, no matter what the sub-forum? Most often, this can be remedied by adding "question" or "request" or even just "?" into the title.

about cube4you

"Need help" works fine without a question mark.
Need help on Shepherd's Cube Center piece < Excellent

However, "____ Help" is just stupid. Stefan and I have both joked that the thread's title is OFFERING help, but that in fact the poster is ASKING for help.
Corner Memorization Help
Rubik's 360 Help!!!
Lars Vandenbergh's Coll help.
Same, but more subtly: Square-1 BLD (If I post a method for Square-1 BLD I don't think I should need to say "My System for Square-1 BLD" to distinguish it.)

Yes, in most of these cases I could have distinguished that these were all requests, but it's still annoying. Particularly while the threads are still unmoved and lounging in the wrong subforum.

When I tried to post this, I saw text at the top. I suggest adding something like this (addition in italics):
Are you asking a question? Try searching first. Answers to many questions can be easily found.

Otherwise, choose a Descriptive Title:

Do not use a generic title such as "Help please" or "What to do" or "Need advice" -- be specific!
If you're posting a question or requesting help, make it clear in the title that you are asking something.

Or maybe we can encourage the use of the question icon
icon5.gif
for threads.

zip_dog12

YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree 100%

It is annoying, and when I'm looking for certain topics I do not like to and usually won't click on something that does not have a good title (good as in specific and clearly expressed).

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
@DavidWoner: This is completely off topic, but I felt that I couldn't help but compliment your signature.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd like to announce that as a mod, I'm now enforcing this.

Nothing to worry about; no one's getting an infraction or anything. But if your thread is a request, expect me to make sure that the title indicates that (probably by adding a "?").

That doesn't mean anyone should be lazy, though. :p