• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing Club Ideas and Discussion

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know there have been many threads on clubs, but always on specific ones, like this one. So I think this can stay as it is, and I am not 100% sure that this is in the right forum area. If not Mods, feel free to move this!

I am making a SpeedCubing club at my school with my best friend (who I taught a while ago and averages like sub-1 minute, but I think could get sub-30 with enough practice). We both showed our cubing skills (in different classes, since we aren't in any of the same, unless you count lunch of course) to our classes, even if not trying to on purpose (my case, but not his =P), but we think we could get atleast 5-10 people to join the club. It's costs $100 USD to start a club, which isn't really a problem, just a note. So now for my real QUESTIONS:

1) Who has started/organized a club, particularly at school?
2) If you have, what are some good ideas to get young (6th grade) kids to get interested?
3) I have a fairly easy method that I made up with pretty much no algs other than for cross and corners, for the F2L, but I wanted an easy LL method. Any suggestions?
4) I am guessing that some of the kids will want some cubes to take home if they don't have a Rubik's Brand at all, or want a better speedcube if they hate their Rubik's Brand. So what cheap beginner's cube do you suggest? I was thinking the Lunhui since it's a slower cube, good for control, but doesn't lock up or pop, which is important.
5) Any other suggestions I missed?

H

Hershey

4) I am guessing that some of the kids will want some cubes to take home if they don't have a Rubik's Brand at all, or want a better speedcube if they hate their Rubik's Brand. So what cheap beginner's cube do you suggest? I was thinking the Lunhui since it's a slower cube, good for control, but doesn't lock up or pop, which is important.

Don't people usually recommend a Type F or a Ghosthand cube for beginners? Dayan cubes might be too expensive if you want to buy more than one.

cubernya

Premium Member
I can do $14 on bulk lunhui diy
I might even do fast shipping free if you get enough.

Honestly, I would recommend an A-V (f) for it. They're cheap, and good. I can't do much off on those, but I could do $5 each

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can do $14 on bulk lunhui diy
I might even do fast shipping free if you get enough.

Honestly, I would recommend an A-V (f) for it. They're cheap, and good. I can't do much off on those, but I could do $5 each

How much would be enough for free shipping???
Even if we don't get the free shipping, I still think that would be my best bet. Thx

danthecuber

WCA
2011SELZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wish it was as easy as $100 to start a club at my high school :/

On topic, the best method to teach people who have never solved a cube is erik's YouTube tutorial , this is the first video of it

Last edited by a moderator:

MovingOnUp

WCA
2011UNKR01
We are able to start clubs whenever we want at our school as long as it is approved as appropriate, but I wouldnt know what to do besides teach and practice. A lot of people have seen me cubing though and are very interested so I would think it would be a very large club if I started it. It's just too much work for me now as a freshmen, but our school is fairly large so it would kinda be neat. Maybe next year.

ChrisBird

Premium Member
WCA
2009BIRD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you contact Tyson Mao, he may be willing to hook you up with cheap Maru 3x3s (which are surprisingly good btw) if you let him know it's for a club. I don't know if he will extend the same offer for you, but who knows.

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
I run a cubing club in my high school.... try to get as many people interested as possible. First year, there were only like 4 people in my club but now there should be more. Let them use their rubik's brands until they can get "good" times on them (sub 45 ish?). I would cube in public to get people interested too. I cube almost every class and there are a lot of people who would show up just to see people solve or learn to solve themselves to show their friends that they can solve a 3x3. Since not everyone will have a cube, I suggest going online to see if there are cheap cubes like the dianshengs for them to use if they don't want to use their rubik's brand. I think if you start with the dayan cubes you won't be able to go back to any other cube and will actually use the 45 degree corner cuts and stuff as in you start to have very inaccurate turning.

I just used a maru 3x3 yesterday and it was pretty good.... almost as good as my alpha....

My experience: have a small group and have regular meetings. When a new person shows up, teach them. Have the cubers that can solve in about 70 seconds learn f2l and stuff.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well three of us usually meet up at lunch in school and just cube. Almost every day.
Team blind is always fun, although they only average like 40 secs.

Teaching your friends is a nice idea, but any more than three people and it isn't as nice.

Last edited:

DrJorge

Last year in my schools the teachers encouraged us to solve rubiks cubes, and they had a box full of em in our class. We could use them anytime after we were done with our work. So basically everyone in our grade knows how to solve a cube, and we even had a school wide comp on the last day.we had people from 12 seconds-5 minutes. This probably didnt help.

But at lightake they sell qj's for under a dollar

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last year in my schools the teachers encouraged us to solve rubiks cubes, and they had a box full of em in our class. We could use them anytime after we were done with our work. So basically everyone in our grade knows how to solve a cube, and we even had a school wide comp on the last day.we had people from 12 seconds-5 minutes. This probably didnt help.

But at lightake they sell qj's for under a dollar

Lucky...

I couldn't find any!

DrJorge

Lucky...

I couldn't find any!

Sorry i meant from 51morefun...

Black-http: 51morefun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=108&products_id=219

White-http: 51morefun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=108&products_id=220

Hovair

WCA
2011GONZ04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I started a club at my school for free and two speedcubers at my school help too. We told the people if they had there own rubiks cube that I could mod it and lubricata it. I didnt want to buy rubiks cubes cause people change there minds sometimes. I was really happy of how many people showed up. Like over 30+ people showed up.

cubernya

Premium Member
I would rather do finhop than anything, since dianshengs have pant instead of stickers...
but I didn't see any of this on your website!

Yeah DS sucks when it comes to the paint...

I have a ton of finhops (like 150) that I never put up on the site...don't know why
I might put it up soon, but right now the offer is open to just you :)