• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing Club Help

MattDeCuber

I want to start a curbing club in my highschool. There is about 500 kids and I was wondering what things should I buy for the club...like what cubes and stack timers. I would also like activity ideas. Any info would be great.

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have run a cubing club without buying anything new, just saying bring your own cube and most of the time they do and I they don't generally I have a 4*4*4 and a 5*5*5 as well. Also sometimes people come sometimes they don't it's just something you have to put up with, I tell cubes that cubing club is on but often they don't come

BirdPuzzles

WCA
2017SELF01
Id also get some pyraminxes. The YJ Guanlong is like 4 bucks, so id pick a few of those up if you want. As already stated stackmats are not needed. But they would be cool to combine cubing and stacking into one club! I know a lot of cubers who are stackers, and vice versa.

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Id also get some pyraminxes. The YJ Guanlong is like 4 bucks, so id pick a few of those up if you want. As already stated stackmats are not needed. But they would be cool to combine cubing and stacking into one club! I know a lot of cubers who are stackers, and vice versa.
No the MF3RS is way better and you can get it for $1.99 at priceangels.com yes it takes a while to come because it's free shipping some times, my mf5 is also very good

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Tips from my experience starting a cube club:

1. Buy a bunch of stickerless MF3RS's. For yourself to own and for others to BORROW. The reason that's good is because kids will peel the stickers or mess them up. And if you have a bunch of the same ones, one might break a piece, but you have spare parts.
2. Bring your own timer and let them borrow it while they attend the meeting. Also bring a few other puzzles to let them see and learn about.
3. Get their email addresses and send the members some tutorials, cube recommendations, cubing news, etc.
4. Don't think that you will teach the whole club how to solve the cube. Get them started and point them in the right direction. They will either do their cubing club homework learning the cube, or they won't devote the time t learning.

MattDeCuber

Dom I greatly appreciate it, that was a lot of help if anyone has any more recommendations please post same with you Dom.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I would recommend the MF3RS too. I'm sure TheCubicle.us will give you a great deal if you buy a bunch of them. Shoot them an email. I would count how many people are interested and have a few meetings before you buy any cubes. Because I know like only like 1 out of 5 or less people who want to try, will stop doing it in a few days/week.

@Dom had some good advice.

It might be easier if you show them a video instead of you teaching yourself.

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
YJ guanlong is around $1 in most currencies at z-cube.com. it is also a very cheap website and keeps up with latest cubes so I recommend it
Yes but the MF3RS is slot better than the gianlong and even if you buy 20 you can't get them below $2.50 after shipping I think , I did do a big order from zcubr so I should know, I might order from them again it came very quickly

AwesomeARC

WCA
2017ROYC01
(Of course) You should start by getting a few 3x3's for your club. Considering the performance/price ratio, MF3RS will obviously be a better option than the Guanlong. A well-setup MF3RS is comparable to many of the high-range cubes. So, you should start by buying a few MF3RS's.

Don't worry about timers now; use mobile phones or inexpensive digital stopwatches.

As your club expands, you can look into other cubes/puzzles. I will definitely recommend looking into the 'Cubing Classroom' series. It has, by far, the best budget cubes available in the market.

You might also want to create groups on social media where the club members can discuss cubing news and other stuff.

Alright, then. Best of luck to you!