• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Considering modding my Yuexiao. Any suggestion?

jaredye

Although Yuexiao can reverse cut at a pretty decent angle, the feeling is rather bumpy. I like the smooth feeling of reverse corner cutting of Gans 356. So I wonder if it's possible to replicate that feeling.

The first thing I tried was to swap the center pieces of Gans 356 and Yuexiao. The center piece of Gans 356 fits surprisingly well in Yuexiao. There is very mild improvement in reverse cutting but no where near Gans 356.

Then I shaved off a bit of the square part of the corner piece. Turns out it doesn't matter at all as that part doesn't touch the center piece when reverse cutting. It seems I need to shave off the inside of the corner piece to make it smoother, but that doesn't seem possible as the corner piece is hollow. If I try to shave off some plastic I might break it.

So do you guys have any suggestion on this?

Tensions? Check his setup vid for the tensions and lubing. Maybe it has to do with that. If not, I guess you're stuck with how it is

jaredye

Tensions? Check his setup vid for the tensions and lubing. Maybe it has to do with that. If not, I guess you're stuck with how it is

I played around with then tension but it's about the same. I saw someone on his youtube comments saying that putting Yuexiao pieces on Gans core+center makes it awesomer. I'm gonna try that when my stickerless version arrives.

jaredye

Ok some updates. I put Yuexiao pieces in Gans 356 and it feels odd. Gans 356 is a bit tighter than Yuexiao so I have to loosen the tension a bit. But then the cube becomes unstable. Reverse corner cutting does improve but I don't feel this tiny little improvement is worth it. I'll keep it this way for another week before I switch back, just in case I change my mind.

I also tried putting Gans 356 pieces in Yuexiao core and centers. Since Yuexiao is looser, I need to tighten the tension so much that I can't even cut 45. I'd say that's even worse idea than putting Yuexiao pieces in Gans.