• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Community Feedback: how can the site improve?

WCA
2023POLL02
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Being able to change the title after starting a thread, getting rid of/shortening time needed to get rid of moderator approval, and maybe being able to see the newest/most relevant posts only (this might work by having the user start at the bottom [the most recent posts] and being able to scroll up to see older posts).
You can change titles after starting a thread. You just click on edit or the pen at the stop.

Thom S.

and maybe being able to see the newest/most relevant posts only
Click on the lighning bolt?
It shows you only threads that have been updated since your last visit
Why is it that every thread turns into an argument? Add a new rule:
No excessive arguments
I know you are part of that problem as well. This is a forum, you just make arguments here. It's far more civil than on the social media platforms anyway.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
If it’s not already being done, I’d suggest handing out warnings (or whatever the infraction points system is called; it’s been a while since I’ve read the rules) for unnecessary bumps/necroposts. If the post adds to the conversation or is rightfully reviving a thread, then that’s of course fine, but just pointless spamming (especially now with this idea of “getting the longest bump”) shouldn’t, in my opinion, be allowed.

(and yes, for those who remember it, I was the person who organized the bump war. But I also actively condemned unhelpful posts)

Thom S.

If it’s not already being done, I’d suggest handing out warnings (or whatever the infraction points system is called; it’s been a while since I’ve read the rules) for unnecessary bumps/necroposts. If the post adds to the conversation or is rightfully reviving a thread, then that’s of course fine, but just pointless spamming (especially now with this idea of “getting the longest bump”) shouldn’t, in my opinion, be allowed.

(and yes, for those who remember it, I was the person who organized the bump war. But I also actively condemned unhelpful posts)
I believe a simple "Hey, that post is old my guy, do you really want to post this if it doesn't add to the conversation?" Popup has been in place fir some years(back around that time when Aerma got the longest bump).
Maybe it doesn't work on mobile devices.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I believe a simple "Hey, that post is old my guy, do you really want to post this if it doesn't add to the conversation?" Popup has been in place fir some years(back around that time when Aerma got the longest bump).
Maybe it doesn't work on mobile devices.

If it does exist, it’s not working very well. I imagine giving out a warning for a couple pointless bumps would end it for the most part.

Also, to be clear, I don’t want to just instantly ban anyone who posts on a thread that’s more than a month old or someone who wanted to talk more abt a discussion started years ago. I just don’t want to see these very old threads revived for no apparent reason. Even a DM’d, “unofficial” warning would be nice

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
can we have gifs integration?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
can we have gifs integration?
Enabled now, though the production app is awaiting approval from Giphy now.

See in the editor the GIF section to insert, like this:
Sleepy Good Night GIF

Cuber987

How about changing the weekly competition to start at midnight of the day? (at least for a USA time zone)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
How about changing the weekly competition to start at midnight of the day? (at least for a USA time zone)
I'm sorry, no. It has always been at midnight GMT (though perhaps it might make more sense now to say it is midnight UTC), and there's no particularly strong reason to change it. The competition is usually available right away (except on those occasions when I forget to reset it or am away), so everyone usually has a full 168 hours to compete; I think that should be enough. Also, if you go back to the initial history of the Weekly Competition here, it was started by a European (Arnaud van Galen, from the Netherlands), so it made sense for him to choose GMT as the start/end of the competition.

There are consistency problems with changing the times as well. That's why I intend to keep the competition switching over Monday night, instead of perhaps switching over on Sunday night to be consistent with ISO weeks. Perhaps someday I will consider making that change, but it will likely be years from now, since there are more important issues that need to be fixed with the competition code when I actually find the time to do it.

xyzzy

I know, but lots of people on here live in the USA.
Okay, fine, but nevertheless there are strong reasons to prefer UTC midnight as the boundary between consecutive weekly comps. I say this as someone whose time zone differs from UTC by more than most Americans' time zones; I am obviously not insane enough to advocate switching the weekly comp schedule to match my local time zone.

1. It's a natural Schelling point.

If I name a random Asian country, would a typical American know what time zone that country uses? If you name a random US state, would I know what time zone that state uses? The answer to both of these questions is "no".

What is reasonable to expect people to know is their own time zone, specified as a UTC offset. I know exactly how many hours local time differs from UTC, and you should too! If you ever have to communicate with someone on a different continent (for personal reasons, business reasons, or otherwise), knowing your own time zone is practically a prerequisite.

When is midnight UTC in my time zone? I just add the offset and know immediately. I don't need to convert twice, or take the difference between two offsets.

2. No DST troubles.

Daylight saving time is not uniformly observed, and even in the locales that use DST, DST activation/deactivation don't happen on consistent dates worldwide. Again, as above, if you know your own time zone offset, then you know how to convert midnight UTC to local time. But for a time specified in a DST-observing time zone, you would have to know whether DST is in effect or not at said time zone. If your own locale also observes DST but at different dates, now you have four offset changes to keep track of.

Granted, any non-DST-observing time zone would work as well as UTC for this purpose, but… why not just UTC? (See point 1.)