• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Color Neutral Debate

YddEd

WCA
2012SHAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i tried to become colour neutral a few weeks ago. it was actually less fun because there was a huge sense of unfamiliarity when i was building my first block. I prefer the feeling of just solving with white or yellow on the bottom. i have actually stopped being even opposite colour neutral because i stopped practising it. i really should be opposite CN though, i miss out on a lot of easy first block cases.
Yes you should, I switched to W/Y CN when I was sub 40 and with a week of practise, I got to sub 30 :)

cxinlee

WCA
2013XINL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Tbh I'll rather master one color than be a jack of all trades and a master of none (Sorry If I misused it). I'm not really sure if being CN is worth it, but I'm too lazy to change my cross colors (Just like how Roux is clearly the best method but I'm too lazy to change too).

YddEd

WCA
2012SHAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Tbh I'll rather master one color than be a jack of all trades and a master of none (Sorry If I misused it). I'm not really sure if being CN is worth it, but I'm too lazy to change my cross colors (Just like how Roux is clearly the best method but I'm too lazy to change too).
I never knew that some methods can be the best...
I'm also pretty sure being CN is worth it, I'm CN even though I don't use CFOP anymore.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just want to add to this:
- greater chance of finding Xcross
- average of 1 less move than having a set colour for cross
Less moves for cross probably means that less F2L pieces move around, making easier for the solver to track their first pair, making it easier for a smooth cross to first pair transition. Even if I cannot work out what my solution will be for my first pair, usually I can track it down and solve it immediately after cross.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Being a white/yellow solver, I can say that I have to learn a lot of new stuff practicing ZZ, Petrus and Roux.

Because there are cases that are color neutral. Like solving a cross block instead of f2l pair in block building. I find really hard to solve those cases.

Another thing is megaminx. I got one recently and it is really weird to solve those colors. Not being color neutral is being a huge obstacle in those areas