• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changes to the Weekly Competition website

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
a while ago i wasnt using a blindfold for 2bld, is this legit? Like I'd close my eyes and start solving, and if i accidentally made a move before closing my eyes then I would DNF the solve (has happened a few times)
Technically that's not legal but noddon is a thing so I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
a while ago i wasnt using a blindfold for 2bld, is this legit? Like I'd close my eyes and start solving, and if i accidentally made a move before closing my eyes then I would DNF the solve (has happened a few times)
Technically you should be using a blindfold, but I realize it is often inconvenient to do so. I'd prefer that people at least make the motion to don the blindfold, even if they don't actually use one - either with their hand or via a pretend nod-don.

I'm afraid that this is the event that has the least trustworthy results in our online competition database; I'm pretty sure that many of the top 10 or even top 100 results were not done properly (although I do believe some of the really good results are legitimate). So I personally believe your results are as valid as or more valid than most of the other good results, so I'm okay with you keeping your results. I'm happy to hear that you have DNFed results where you accidentally made a move before closing your eyes.

2018AMSB02

Premium Member
WCA
2018AMSB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It would be nice if you could comment or reply to someone else's solves. This would allow people to ask questions (for the solver and from the solver) and allow people to congratulate others. If people didn't want people commenting on their solve, maybe they could disable comments, like you would on a youtube video. Just a suggestion though, let me know what you all think.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like this idea, and have been thinking about the best way to implement it for quite a while. I really hope to implement it someday. But realistically, with some of the other changes in progress, I suspect it will be next year before I can get to it.

Thank you for the suggestion. The idea of being able to disable comments is a particularly good addition to the idea.

2018AMSB02

Premium Member
WCA
2018AMSB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am also confused about one other thing. Will the winners of the gift card be simply posted on the forums, or will the winners be emailed as well?
I have been wondering about that some time and just thought that it couldn't hurt to ask.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am also confused about one other thing. Will the winners of the gift card be simply posted on the forums, or will the winners be emailed as well?
I have been wondering about that some time and just thought that it couldn't hurt to ask.
I post them on the forum and also send a PM here if possible, or by email if I don't know the competitor's id here.

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
Can you maybe remove the requirement of commenting on BLD DNFs? Iirc it got implemented to avoid people taking free points for BLD DNFs, but I dont think this would keep anyone from doing that. You could also do that in FMC btw. I feel like this is just annoying, especially because I never know what to write there because I dont time splits or look at DNFs to explain what went wrong, because its just a waste of time for me.
Edit: pls

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
How is it possible that some people are shown to have 1 comp, but no solves?
A completed solve means no DNF. People with 1 comp but no solves have competed but have all DNFs.

Unfortunately, due to a bug I still need to fix, if they don't have attempts for 2x2x2, it's not possible to display the DNFs for that person. I do have this on my list of things to fix.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
May I ask about my previous question also? :)
I admit I was conveniently ignoring it. :) The truth is that when I implemented those changes (requiring the comments on the DNFs), the number of problems with people putting in fake DNFs really did decline quite significantly, so I really don't want to make the change. If there is a groundswell with lots of other people making the same request you made, I will consider making the change, but I'd really rather not make this change, as it has proven to be very useful to me to require the comments for DNF results. It was actually a good bit of work to put in the requirement, but it was worth it to me for the improvement in the results that we got. So I hope there will not be a groundswell of people making the request, because I'd really like to keep it the way it is - it makes my life much easier. :)

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
Could you maybe implement TeamBLD next year? Sounds like cool idea to me :)
When you compete, you just have to enter the ID of your partner and he/she has to accept the result for it to be entered. Everone can compete once each week, no matter what role he plays and partners are not fix.
For the rankings you just have to decide, if you want it to be counted like both competitors got the same result or if you want to have an extra team ranking.

Probably it would be useful to allow it to be done over skype or something like that

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will implement the same sort of rules for new events for 2020 exactly as I did it last year. I will start a thread towards the end of November for suggestions, then a thread that allows comment/voting on the suggestions, then finally narrow to one or two events to be voted on, and if sufficient votes are reached, will add the events.

TeamBLD will be particularly rough on me :), but I guess in some ways it might be nice because it could be a trial run for how the WCA might track it, in case it were ever implemented there. I could make all the mistakes with how to track it so they can learn from it and do it right. :) But we'll see how the voting comes out this year.