• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CFOP-Breaker? Mehta method

Devagio

Finally came round to write code for simulating solves with Mehta, accounting for everything that HARCS could not. Here are the results for a 1000 solve simulation -

Step Mean StD. Median Min Max
FB (CN, unfixed): 5.158 0.730 5.0 2 7
3QB (unfixed): 4.988 0.968 5.0 1 7
EOLE (speed-optimal): 7.278 1.547 7.0 3 11
Finish (speed-optimal): 26.274 3.321 27.0 15 35
Total: 43.698 3.863 44.0 30 56

Out of 1000 solves, the shortest solutions were using:
CDRLL: 446
JTLE : 129
6CP : 467
APDR : 200

Here is the movecount histogram

The basic take-away is that the method averages ~43.7 moves; and with the intuitive portion of the solve being only 10.1 (which is the only place where humans will be inefficient compared to computers), the practical / human movecount average for speedsolves should be 45-46 moves at worst (assuming 20% inefficiency for intuitive steps). This keeps the method up there with Roux in terms of efficiency (said to be ~48 moves in human speedsolves), but with an algorithmic approach.

More detailed stats and the code are put up in discord. I will soon do a simulation for the TDR variation as well.

DNF_Cuber

Have you thought about after 6CO, instead of permuting all the corners, you could just do the D layer ones, and then go into HKPLL? (or PLL+1 I think it's the same.)
Just an idea.

Devagio

Have you thought about after 6CO, instead of permuting all the corners, you could just do the D layer ones, and then go into HKPLL? (or PLL+1 I think it's the same.)
Just an idea.
We did consider HKPLL and TTLL variations, but compared to the sets currently in use these have pretty bad algorithms on average. What these could be useful for are as trick subsets. Basically, the solver learns the better algs in the algset. Then, for example if 2 of the 3 bottom pieces happen to be solved after 6CO (would happen about once every 10 solves), the solver would check to see if it is one of the case they know; if they do know it then they would in essence be skipping a step.

DNF_Cuber

We did consider HKPLL and TTLL variations, but compared to the sets currently in use these have pretty bad algorithms on average. What these could be useful for are as trick subsets. Basically, the solver learns the better algs in the algset. Then, for example if 2 of the 3 bottom pieces happen to be solved after 6CO (would happen about once every 10 solves), the solver would check to see if it is one of the case they know; if they do know it then they would in essence be skipping a step.
Okay, I was just wondering if you had thought of it.

Devagio

16000 Solves were simulated using each of the 4 paths individually. The entire data file and code is available on discord, here is the summary of the data.
Note, FB and 3QB are move-optimal CN solutions, and the rest is speed-optimal algorithms; thus the human move-count during a speedsolve would be 1-3 moves higher than the indicated values.

1608537897528.png

1608537922829.png

1608537942198.png

1608537957451.png

With full option-select (which is basically the theme of the method) the human move-count could very well average around 45 moves as indicated in one of the previous posts. For a high-TPS algorithmic method, this should be plenty to at least compete at the highest level.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
16000 Solves were simulated using each of the 4 paths individually. The entire data file and code is available on discord, here is the summary of the data.
Note, FB and 3QB are move-optimal CN solutions, and the rest is speed-optimal algorithms; thus the human move-count during a speedsolve would be 1-3 moves higher than the indicated values.

View attachment 14308

View attachment 14309

View attachment 14310

View attachment 14311

With full option-select (which is basically the theme of the method) the human move-count could very well average around 45 moves as indicated in one of the previous posts. For a high-TPS algorithmic method, this should be plenty to at least compete at the highest level.
What about TDR?

Spencer131

WCA
2017CHUB02

Devagio

The Mehta Website is finally complete! This is meant to be a one-stop place for the method; it has EVERYTHING that there is to know about the method in one place including algs, stats, relevant links, etc. I've tried to make it as concise and user-friendly as possible.

Silky

The Mehta Website is finally complete! This is meant to be a one-stop place for the method; it has EVERYTHING that there is to know about the method in one place including algs, stats, relevant links, etc. I've tried to make it as concise and user-friendly as possible.

Niiiice dude. Are you going to put up YruRU as well ?

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's soooo cool :D

Niiiice dude. Are you going to put up YruRU as well ?
I think there's one already. I can't find it

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel