• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold memorization help please

pkvk9122

Hi there,

I can successfully solve a rubik's cube with M2/old pochmann. However, my memorization speed is like...+20 mins. I have looked at the other threads on memorization but everything on there, i couldn't understand... my original method to memorize the EP is that I gave every single piece a name. When i have a long chain of letters i make each letter into a word and then into a phrase (btw i am talking about M2/old pochmann).

I have gave 3OP a try and well... im confused which method to use. Can someone please give me a detailed explanation on some methods to memorize on 3OP. oh and just for your information... im only 12 years old :p

Thanks in advance

pkvk9122

Tyjet66

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I have no experience with 3OP but, I'll explain how I memorize. For the edges, since my buffer is UR, I tap the sticker on R, I then tap wherever that stick needs to go, I continue this for all the edges. For the corners, I tap the U sticker on the UBL corner (my buffer) I then tap wherever the U sticker needs to go, I do this for all the corners. I do not use any words/letters/numbers, instead, I just repeat the series of taps until I get all the pieces memorized through muscle memory (much like learning new algorithms.) After a few attempts, this will be easy to start using, good luck!

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
I used to do practically the same: I had an "image" for every single sticker.
This makes the story-memo quite long.

You already seem to be using letters so "all you have to do" is pair up your letters, making the memo shorter and easier to recall.

Say your memo is CWPLAT
the story could be: a cow is practicing its PLL attacks

Three words contain six letters, cutting the story length in half.

Instead of making up the words "on the fly" it is good to prepare a list of words for all posible letter combinations.

pkvk9122

Hi Tyjet66,

By what you are talking about i think that you use M2/old pochmann. Because i use the exact same buffer for the corners. i also think that the method you use is called visual memorization. Maybe it would work for M2/old pochmann, but after several attempts i couldnt do it really well. After 2 or 3 minutes i forget everthing that i have tried to memorize. Visual memorization also doesn't work with 3OP very well, mainly because we do the orientation and permutation seperately... but thanks for replying. (maybe i will switch back to M2/old pochmann)=)

And now cubenovice.

That is a good method except that when i try to do that, your example has practicing in it too. would that "p" affect my memorization? also i also dont think that that method really helps 3OP. as i said earlier 3OP does the orientation and permutation seperately.

I am still not sure which method I should try to go for. so could you also give me the difference and how it will change when i try to get faster? i've heard that the world record holder Mr Zhuang uses 3OP "freestyle" i still do not understand what freestyle means but i also wonder if M2/old pochmann can keep up with that speed. would M2/R2 keep up??? which method is the best for speed blindfold?

I really appreciate you for replying my memorization problem. (not to mention replying in like a couple of minutes!!!) oh and btw i only just registered here. makes me feel very welcome here. =)

Again thanks a bunch =)

Kynit

I feel like throwing my cube at a wall. I've been at it for 3 weeks now and not one frickin edge cycle has come out correct. I'm considering giving up now. I'm pretty much convinced I can't bld.

It's hard! It took me a lot of tries that finished looking completely scrambled. Have you tried this: memorize the cube, write down your memo, and keep your eyes open as you solve, just to make sure you've memorized the right pieces? Maybe there's an execution mistake that you're not noticing.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Hi Tyjet66,
That is a good method except that when i try to do that, your example has practicing in it too. would that "p" affect my memorization? also i also dont think that that method really helps 3OP. as i said earlier 3OP does the orientation and permutation seperately.

This memo method is indeed not really suitable for 3OP but it is a solution for your long memo.
And yes, the P word is applicable to all things cubing ;-)

I feel like throwing my cube at a wall. I've been at it for 3 weeks now and not one frickin edge cycle has come out correct. I'm considering giving up now. I'm pretty much convinced I can't bld.

Perhaps some open eye practice would do you good?
Keep working with the same scramble until it clicks, then try with your eyes closed.
Same scramble, until it works...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyjet66

YouTube
Visit Channel

Memorize 3 edges, do BLD, repeat until it's easy, move onto 4, then 5, 6, 7, until you can do all 12 edges. Once you are at 12, keep doing all 12 edges until you have a 75%+ success rate. A quick tip for doing edges, do a random scramble, fix just the corners and then memorize, doing that will give you less to focus on, making it easier. For the corners, it is the exact opposite, memorize 3 corners, do BLD, repeat until it's easy, move onto 4, then 5, 6, 7, then 8. After you can do all 8, just keep repeating that until you are comfortable enough to no longer worry about it. A quick tip for corners, do a random scramble, fix just the edges and then memorize. Finally, after you get to that point where you are comfortable with both steps, start doing full attempts.

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
i've heard that the world record holder Mr Zhuang uses 3OP "freestyle"

1. Mr. Zhuang is no longer the WR holder
2. The method he uses does involve 3-cycles, but it is not 3OP. They are 3-cycles that solve orientation and permutation simultaneously (like how M2/old pochmann solves orientation and permutation simultaneously, except solving 2 pieces at a time with a 3-cycle rather than 1 piece at a time with Y-perm/M2).

wontolla

WCA
2011GRAJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i've heard that the world record holder Mr Zhuang uses 3OP "freestyle" i still do not understand what freestyle means but i also wonder if M2/old pochmann can keep up with that speed. would M2/R2 keep up??? which method is the best for speed blindfold?

I guess the fastest BLD "method" is freestyle. But M2/R2 is very close. At least if you count the number of movements in Stefan example and compare them to Alejandro's WR solve.

Zhuang used freestyle for the 32.27 world record.
See reconstruction: http://archive.garron.us/solves/2010/zhuang_32_27_BLD.htm

Alejandro used freestyle for the 30.90 world record.
See reconstruction: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?26061-NEW-WR-BLD-3X3-30.90&p=500649#post500649

Frestyle means that you don't really follow a predetermined method, you mainly use commutators to solve 2 cubies at the time (and the third cubie could end up in your buffer, although the buffer can change).

I suggest you keep working on the M2/old pochmann for now. But eventually you will want to move to M2/R2 because old pochmann is slow in terms of number of movements (it takes a hole PLL to solve just one cubie). Whereas M2/R2 the "algorithm" is a simple M2 or R2 turn.

In the meantime, if you plan to go freestyle, you can learn how to think of commutators for each situation. For corners there are like 378 cases but more than a half of them are the simplest kind of commutator. Here is a useful tutorial: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?12268-BH-Tutorial

mr6768

make story with series of letters . if it didn't work then letter memorization method is not efficient . you can try other methods .

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Perhaps some open eye practice would do you good?
Keep working with the same scramble until it clicks, then try with your eyes closed.
Same scramble, until it works...

^^^ Completely agree with this. Also take a look at my DNF post mortem method if you want to be able to reconstruct what you did wrong on a DNF solve (it's time consuming, but it helps!).

I really like cubenovice's suggestion best, though: same scramble until it works.

-------------

To the OP, I honestly can't remember how I used to memorize back when I used 3OP. I think I did everything visually, though. I know most people don't like to take memo to this extreme, but I can't stress enough how quickly, and easily you can memorize using single syllable words. This method literally uses an evolutionary survival skill which is wired into your brain, the 10 second auditory loop, as your memorization method. The downside is that memorizing an entire 3x3x3 is a bit too much information to use this approach effectively. I use this method for edges though, and I can one pass memo them almost every single time. I've never been considered one of the top memorizers for BLD when compared to the people at the top either.

You could use visual or images for corners, but definitely go with single syllable words for edges. It's so simple and effortless to memorize them this way it's freaky.

Last edited:

pkvk9122

Hi,

For M2/R2 is there any good tutorial website or videos which i can read? on Stefan's website it was a little too confusing for me. I know how to do M2/old pochmann and 3OP really easily with my eyes open. (and yes i have tried to write my memo down and do it while watching my memo) i might try to learn R2 more thoroughly and also give a shot at visual memorization... or the letters that make 1 syllable words. Oh and does anyone know how fast can M2/R2 peak (excluding memorization time)?

Thanks

pkvk9122

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wouldn't recommend R2. It's not great tbh. Old Pochmann corners can be fast enough for you for now, especially if you use J and L perms as well as Y.
This is how I memo (I average 1:20-1:30, but my method can definitely get sub-1 with more practise):
Edges: Letter made into phrases like you already are doing
Corners: Auditory letters. I literally go through the cycle thinking of the letters in my head, and then just stringing them together into one 'word' which is just made up of how you might pronounce the word that those letters spell out.
Execution: Corners first because I just have this 'word' in my head, and I repeat it over and over in my head while I execute them. So I don't really memorise them well at all - it's just a case of keeping the word on the tip of your tongue. Then edge execution to finish.
Another piece of advice - read cmhardw's post and definitely consider it seriously - he's a legend amongst the blindfold cubing community :)

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
Oh and does anyone know how fast can M2/R2 peak (excluding memorization time)?

Stefan writes: "I'm convinced with memorization and good recall a 40 seconds real average for execution is possible." I just did an avarage of 12 (sighted bld solves) with pure M2/R2 and got 40.45, and I'm not even a fast turner.
Even so, if you aim to be really fast one day, you'll want to use 3-cycles. To do this practically, you can learn 3OP now, and then later get rid of the orientation part - or you can, of course, learn R2 now, and then later move to R2+. :)

As for the tutorial, just stick with the one on Stefan's webpage, it's a totally decent description - and btw, I don't think you would find many other R2 tutorials, as not many people use R2.

peedu

my memorization speed is like...+20 mins.

Hi,

I assigned a letter to each sticker and did not worry if the same letter appeared again in edges and corners or in new cycles.

I remember that my first success was around 17 minutes just with remembering letters. I have achieved 5.xx with that and using Classic Pochmann for both edges and corners.

One way to practice is:
1) throw a solved cube in the air,
2) catch it, do a T-perm (or some other simple thing)
3) memorise
4) solve.

That way the memory will be very short and you can practice in very short sessions.

Peedu

pkvk9122

list of images to do with color on a rubiks blindfold...

Hi,
i am learning M2/R2 and i can do it fluently. however using Stefan Pochmann's site, he mentions he uses mental images. one of those was donald duck for blue/white. but i find it very hard to create my own pictures. could anyone give me a full list of images please? and if they are from a show or a special place where you dont see it often, please tell me where iti is from so i can see it using google!

Best regards

victor