• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

BLD FAQ (Do yourself a favor and read this)

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I mean before you solve it (during memo)

If your memo covers all of the pieces, then you've memoed all the pieces. E.g, there are 8 corners, so if you've memoed one sticker on each corner, then you've memoed all the corners... If you haven't, then you've got to see which corners you've missed. There are 3 possibilities: either they're already solved, or twisted in place, or you need to break into a new cycle.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I mean before you solve it (during memo)

Start memo. Put your finger on every target. Once you get to the spot where the buffer is, that means the buffer will be solved. Put your finger on the buffer piece. If you have a finger on every corner (except UBL of course) then you're done. If not, there are either solved pieces (still done), twisted pieces (use a twisting alg), or you need to break into a new cycle (shoot the buffer somewhere else)

If you have to break into a new cycle, your next target will be any sticker on a piece your finger isn't on. Don't put your finger on the random target. The buffer is now at that random spot, and whatever piece you swapped it with is the piece you solve next. Continue memo until you find that the target is the random spot. If it is, then you put your finger on it. Check again if you have a finger on every piece and check for solved and twisted stuffs and repeat until done.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
What are the differences between the 3BLD methods?

Old Pochmann/OP - Probably the easiest method for edges and corners. Solves one piece at a time and only requires three algorithms.
3OP - Orient pieces, then permute in 3-cycles. The original fast BLD method. Fairly difficult to use and not that much faster than M2/OP.
M2 - Much faster version of Old Pochmann edges. Requires a few more algs, but not any harder to use.
R2 - Faster version of Old Pochmann corners. It's much harder to use than OP corners. Most people don't recommend it.
Turbo - Mainly a method for edges. Generally considered as fast as M2. Not too many algs either, but a steeper learning curve.
3-style/BH/3-cycles/commutators - Using (conjugated) commutators to solve two pieces at a time in cycles of three. For 3x3 requires 819 algorithms. They are intuitive though, so you don't memorize them
(It's better for you in the long run)[/QUOTE]
One Question: when youre doing OP or M2, and you end up with the buffer edge solved but some other edges unsolved, how, just how do you move that piece and continue solving

turtwig

One Question: when youre doing OP or M2, and you end up with the buffer edge solved but some other edges unsolved, how, just how do you move that piece and continue solving

Shoot to an unsolved piece and continue solving. Also known as breaking into a new cycle.

turtwig

Take this scramble for example: F L2 U2 L2 B2 L2 B2 R2 U B2 F2 D L' B F R2 F2 D B'
I use M2 for edges, so my targets would be (for Speffz)
IT RL GA WP D
(Here, since the buffer is solved, we break into a new cycle and shoot to an unsolved edge, in this case B. Just memorize and execute as if we were solving B)
B VM
Or with normal notation:
FU BR BL FL LD UB DB RF UL
Break into new cycle
UR DR RU
I hope this helps.

Last edited:

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A few questions about how to proceed in 3BLD:

For now I used OP/OP completely, memorizing edges first and executing corners first, audio memo for both (because as there are not as many corners I wanted to exploit my short-term memory), averaging around 5min and a sub4 pb.

Now I'm aware that's crappy, so I want to move on to something better. My original plan was to learn Turbo, but I'm too lazy to learn those 8 algs, so it's M2 (requires no algs and is essentially the same idea as OP).

1. Would you recommend learning special algs for BU, BD and FU? The way I read it one would use M U2 M U2 / U2 M' U2 M' and flip the pieces in the end.

2. For those special cases where the M slice is off by an M2 and my target is in the M slice, should I memorize the sticker whose corresponding alg I will execute or figure that out while executing?

3. I used (M' U')*4 (M' U)*4 to flip single edges which worked quite well with UR as my edge buffer, but for DF it's not really good. Any alternative?

4. As fixing parity with M2 and executing corners first seems to be complicated my plan is to memo corners first (with images), then memo and executing edges (with audio) and execute corners last. This seems to be fairly standard, but I have doubts, because there are so many edges that short-term memory has high chances to betray me?

5. When there is parity I won't be able to memorize letter pairs only since there is one additional letter for both edges and corners. How should I memorize that single letter?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
A few questions about how to proceed in 3BLD:

For now I used OP/OP completely, memorizing edges first and executing corners first, audio memo for both (because as there are not as many corners I wanted to exploit my short-term memory), averaging around 5min and a sub4 pb.

Now I'm aware that's crappy, so I want to move on to something better. My original plan was to learn Turbo, but I'm too lazy to learn those 8 algs, so it's M2 (requires no algs and is essentially the same idea as OP).

1. Would you recommend learning special algs for BU, BD and FU? The way I read it one would use M U2 M U2 / U2 M' U2 M' and flip the pieces in the end.

2. For those special cases where the M slice is off by an M2 and my target is in the M slice, should I memorize the sticker whose corresponding alg I will execute or figure that out while executing?

3. I used (M' U')*4 (M' U)*4 to flip single edges which worked quite well with UR as my edge buffer, but for DF it's not really good. Any alternative?

4. As fixing parity with M2 and executing corners first seems to be complicated my plan is to memo corners first (with images), then memo and executing edges (with audio) and execute corners last. This seems to be fairly standard, but I have doubts, because there are so many edges that short-term memory has high chances to betray me?

5. When there is parity I won't be able to memorize letter pairs only since there is one additional letter for both edges and corners. How should I memorize that single letter?
1. Yes, learn the tricky setups. They aren't that bad and 2 are inverses. You can learn tricks to avoid them in many cases here https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/advanced-m2-guide.56076/
2. I memo as normal. If FU or BD come as the 2nd letter in a pair I switch the setup on the fly. Other people switch during memo. See which works best for you.
3. M' U' M' U' M' U' M' U2 M' U' M' U' M' U' M' flips UF and UB. I set up to those.
4. This works fine for me. This thread helped me with audio edges https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...ocus-on-phonetics-rather-than-spelling.51937/
5. You can use a rule for the single letter. I use superheroes so if my last word is Catwoman then I know it's a single C. You could choose anything with a range of letters such as Pokemon. Another option is to pair with an unused letter, usually Y or Z in Speffz.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Yes, learn the tricky setups. They aren't that bad and 2 are inverses. You can learn tricks to avoid them in many cases here https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/advanced-m2-guide.56076/
2. I memo as normal. If FU or BD come as the 2nd letter in a pair I switch the setup on the fly. Other people switch during memo. See which works best for you.
3. M' U' M' U' M' U' M' U2 M' U' M' U' M' U' M' flips UF and UB. I set up to those.
4. This works fine for me. This thread helped me with audio edges https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...ocus-on-phonetics-rather-than-spelling.51937/
5. You can use a rule for the single letter. I use superheroes so if my last word is Catwoman then I know it's a single C. You could choose anything with a range of letters such as Pokemon. Another option is to pair with an unused letter, usually Y or Z in Speffz.

Thank you a lot, a very useful answer! The advanced M2 guide looks super interesting. Haven't read everything yet, but just at the beginning it already feels like I'll be using full 3-style soon. :D

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd recommend mentally swapping UL and UB if you have parity.
You memo as if UB and UL belong in each other's spots, then you have an even number of edges and finish corners with OP.

So you'll still have a single letter for corners. You could come up with a rule like suggested. I have single letter images that just make sense, like I=eye, V=V (the drink), A=A+

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use Old pochmann for edges, but Im too lazy to have to memo 3 different cases for each corner
for edges I use one letter per edge; if It's flipped I memo it with as "x-prime", and because each letter is a word for me, I have two sets of words, one for regular the other for prime. so A would be "Alexis" and A' would be "Anthony Brooks" and things like that.

I often will use boomerang or another pre-orienting method for corners. sometimes Ill use my semi-freestyle method OSP(Orient Solve D corners Parity/Permute), because the memo is actually pretty fast (faster than my Old pochmann, Boomerang, and 3OP), while execution is decent.

I know Im doing everything wrong. Please dont make too much fun of how bad I am at Blindfolded.

D

Daniel Lin

It doesn't really matter whether you use M2 or TuRBo. IMO M2 is slightly easier, because you only set up one piece.
If you are going to use M2, definitely learn the UF/BU/BD algs.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
its on the wiki:
"
Kai Jiptner: "Erik came up with this term because Rama was always using the word turbo in terms of good cubing. So when Erik came up with his idea (it was while chatting with me actually) he decided to call this new blind method "Turbo" (he was tired of those boring/confusing combinations of letters). I said so that'd be TuRBo: "The Ruling/Reigning Blindmethod". That's why you should never ignore the capitals. It actually combines a fancy name and a letter abbreviation."

"