• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Big Cube BLD Discussion

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Looking for a wing-swapping alg for 4x4x4 that does not mess up corners.

If there is a nice alg I would like to us it for when these two wings would make up the last cycle during the r2 part.
So instead of having to do perform r2 for three targets + parity I would just set up the two edges and perform the alg.

Yesterday I had everything solved but ULf and UBl so let’s take these two as targets.
The alg may affect centers as I typically do centers before wings.

vd

WCA
2012DVOA01
D' L' F l' U2 l' U2 F2 l' F2 r U2 r' U2 l2 F' L D is a nice alg that swaps UBr and DFr. You can use its mirror to swap UBl and DFl. Setups are usually quite easy...

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looking for a wing-swapping alg for 4x4x4 that does not mess up corners.

If there is a nice alg I would like to us it for when these two wings would make up the last cycle during the r2 part.
So instead of having to do perform r2 for three targets + parity I would just set up the two edges and perform the alg.

Yesterday I had everything solved but ULf and UBl so let’s take these two as targets.
The alg may affect centers as I typically do centers before wings.

D' L' F l' U2 l' U2 F2 l' F2 r U2 r' U2 l2 F' L D is a nice alg that swaps UBr and DFr. You can use its mirror to swap UBl and DFl. Setups are usually quite easy...

VD's alg has 3 setup moves already. Take off the D' L' F and F' L D from the beginning/end and you have the standard alg to swap UFr and UBr. If a 2 cycle is left at the end just do set up moves that bring the 2 wings to the same face and opposite each other (like UFr UBr) and then perform the alg. For your example (ULf and UBl) do L F U2 or L F y2 set up moves. I thinks it's 3 setup moves maximum.

vd

WCA
2012DVOA01
Thank you Daniel, I used to do the alg with set-ups all the time, but probably I will swithch to just doing what you explained here...

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just don't forget that that alg rotates centers, so don't do it before centers and don't use any wide setup moves. Can't tell you how many DNFs I've gotten because of that.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
I was about to write "I have that in my original post" but it seems I didn't :)

I did not post all that I had in my draft; in short: the alg may rotate centers cause I solve wings after centers.

THX for your feedback.

I learned about this alg rotating centers by forgetting the r2 move at the start of fixing wings parity...

Cubesandfame

I figured I should post this here. I have been using roman rooms and it obviously make life easier. Does anybody else use this as there primary memorization method? How fast could I potentially get after practicing with this method? I find that recall is really easy.

Cubesandfame

I use roman rooms for big cubes. It seems as good as any other method to me. My times aren't the best, but I don't think it's my memorization method that's holding me back. I see no reason why you can't get world records with it.

Your times ARE the best to me. Seriously though, it didn't seem like ive heard people saying they used roman rooms for bld, other than not very fast bld solvers. I will only use it for multi bld, 5bld, and 4bld. Another question is how do you use roman rooms? Example:
EVKWPR
EV KW PR
An Elephant Vows in my closet. A Kangaroo and a Whale bond in my bathroom. I hear a PurR from the hallway.
If you had those letters, how would you use it?

drewsopchak

WCA
2010SOPC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
EV KW PR
Using my bedroom:
(I go clockwise around my bedroom through my way points)
-on my desk, Mitt Romney(EVil) eating a KiWi
-the president sitting on my bookshelf
note that I interact to letter pairs per location so if the next to letters were NI I would imagine the president drinking from the NIle next to my bookshelf.

Last edited:

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your times ARE the best to me. Seriously though, it didn't seem like ive heard people saying they used roman rooms for bld, other than not very fast bld solvers. I will only use it for multi bld, 5bld, and 4bld. Another question is how do you use roman rooms? Example:
EVKWPR
EV KW PR
An Elephant Vows in my closet. A Kangaroo and a Whale bond in my bathroom. I hear a PurR from the hallway.

I usually do 8 letters per location, so if a locus had EV KW PR it would be EVie (my cousin) KnoWs PooR people. I use one room per set of pieces, so 4x4 centers would go in 4 locations in a room. For multi I do one room per cube. I think it's a matter of personal preference whether you like lots of letters per image or just a few. I think it's a smart decision to not use rooms for 3BLD, but that doesn't really pay off until your memo is like sub-30.

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I figured I should post this here. I have been using roman rooms and it obviously make life easier. Does anybody else use this as there primary memorization method? How fast could I potentially get after practicing with this method? I find that recall is really easy.

I used roman rooms until I reached 5-6 minutes for 4x4 and 11-12 for 5x5. Now I use stories. For me, it is faster then roman rooms for "little" amount of information (like 4x4 or 5x5, but not for multi), after some practice, of course.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
I use:

- Sentences without specific structure for 3BLD
- Recently switched to journey for 4 and 5 BLD, though several journeys start from a location inside my house.

I typically use three Letter pairs per location
EV KW PR would be: In the hallway I use a bottle of EVian with Kiewen (Dutch for gills)) to smash a PeaR
Depending on the situation I may make a more detailled story or try to envision smaller details of it to make it more memorable.

And I agree, memo typically sticks very well.

To illustrate; still know my story from my 5 bld attempt at N8WB last Sunday:
Instead of translating all words or adding the correct letter pair in brackets I have just CapitaliseD myLetter pair images.
So due to translation Dutch-English some letters are different from my actual memo.

x-centers
In the hallway ViDi uses a SocK during a BJ
Toilet: I notice a HoLe in my PC, gnawed in by FiKkie
Doorstep: NeW QujO (the dog…) of Roque (X-men), she doesn’t like it and throws it into the wall (MU)

+-centers
Playhouse: BrA with FiVe images of KetelBinkie
Hedge: trough the hedge appears a TraiN pulling a Sit-on-Top with my DAd on it
Cabin: on the cabin an ULtralight plane covers in DeWdrops lands, pilot informs me he was actualy trying to fly to the MooN
Path: A bottle of nasty Oxo broth
Here I actually missed the last cycle during memo…

wings
Field: LioN from URuzgan holding a Sign with “IJ”
Driveway: there’s vacuum (VQ) packaged FeTa cheese in a BucKet
Garage: Chris Hardwick playing with a BadGer while listing to music from the PiXies
Garden: a PiG running around

Midges
Driveway: GoD using a bottle of EVian to squash a BeetLe
Parking space: something WaLHalla
This one I could not recall AT ALL during the attempt, still missing a bit…

Corners
Garden: Quark (DS9) spraying Deet N on IWein (indicates U /D sticker of flipped corners are on on I and W)