• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Big Cube BLD Discussion

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
no, I mean full audio
Well most of the advice on here seems to be that audio is only good for small amounts of short term memo. Personally I memo edges last with audio then execute first in 3BLD, but in 5BLD I execute centres first and there are just too many targets to use audio, even for one centre piece type. 10-12 targets is OK but 18-20 is too much, for me. Your mileage may vary though.

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it bad if I use full audio on 5BLD (and every BLD)? If yes, when and how should I switch to something else?
I believe Callum Hales-Jepp uses full audio for everything. He's capable of sub-7 5BLDs and 16 cube multis.

So it can be decent. But it's very hard to recommend, given everyone good at bigbld or multi uses sentences/images.
From what I've seen of memory sports too, people don't use much audio.

In my opinion, switch ASAP. Look up the journey method and check out Ollie's sentence tutorial.
Sentence memo

Also, since you're good at audio it'd probably be best to use audio centers, and full audio 3bld seems fine.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I believe Callum Hales-Jepp uses full audio for everything. He's capable of sub-7 5BLDs and 16 cube multis.
I asked Callum about it, and the way he described it to me, it sounded more like sentence memo. Not just sounds, but words, structured together according to their meaning. Maybe I misunderstood though. I don't speak for Callum.

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure if this is a proper place to post this. Just found the fastest (probably) alg for flipping RU and RB on 5x5:
U M U2 M2 U R' U' M2 U2 M' U' R
Regripless execution: start with your hands in standard position and then U 3Rw' Rw U2' Lw2 3Lw2' U R' U' 3Rw2 2Rw2' U2' 3Rw 2Rw' U' R

Last edited:
U

Underwatercuber

So I just decided I want to learn how to do 4bld and I watched Noah Arthur's tutorial. Just want to make sure everything sounds good.
1. Solve centers using U2
2. Solve edges using M2 (if odd number of swaps use parity alg
3. Solve corners if parity was executed and I get an odd number of swaps then I won't have parity but if I had parity and I have an even number of swaps then I execute parity.
Does that work? Thanks :)

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I just decided I want to learn how to do 4bld and I watched Noah Arthur's tutorial. Just want to make sure everything sounds good.
1. Solve centers using U2
2. Solve edges using M2 (if odd number of swaps use parity alg
3. Solve corners if parity was executed and I get an odd number of swaps then I won't have parity but if I had parity and I have an even number of swaps then I execute parity.
Does that work? Thanks :)

All three parities are un-related to each other, and so in each of the three steps, if you have an odd number of targets, you should perform the parity algorithm for that step. There's no if-this-then-that thing like in 3BLD, it's just plainly the oddness or evenness of the targets.

Also, you're missing parity for centers. Maybe you know it and just didn't type it, but if you have an odd number of center targets, you should do a U2 at the end for parity.

U

Underwatercuber

All three parities are un-related to each other, and so in each of the three steps, if you have an odd number of targets, you should perform the parity algorithm for that step. There's no if-this-then-that thing like in 3BLD, it's just plainly the oddness or evenness of the targets.

Also, you're missing parity for centers. Maybe you know it and just didn't type it, but if you have an odd number of center targets, you should do a U2 at the end for parity.
Thank you. I already knew about center parity which is why I didn't ask :p

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Full audio of centers is very much possible , and I have started doing it recently for 5bld , and 6bld.
For 4BLD , audio centers is already established.

It is the wing information which is hard, and requires loci and solid reinforcement.

Also , another technique is to assume the 5x5/6x6 cube to be a room itself , and the centers itself can be made loci. I know this concept sounds ridiculous and confusing , but it works. I will be illustrating it in detail soon , when I try to work it out.

LucJar56

Bump
Can this thread be pinned?
Anyway I have a question, how do you do intuitive comms for 4BLD and is it only for center or for edges and corners as well?
Try looking at other cubers list of comms and try to understand them.
The comms for the 4x4 has the exact same structure with comms on the 3x3 but with different slices and layers.
I don’t completely understand the last bit of your question, but I learnt x-centre comms and wing comms by looking at Daniel Lin’s list and tried to understand how they work. Hopefully, that will work for you.

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hello! I just started doing 4BLD and currently use U2 for centers, a mixture of r2 and speed optimised 3-cycles for wings and 3-style for corners. I memo corners then wings then centers and then execute them in reverse order. I want to incorporate audio memo in my solves and I am trying to think if I can memo wings then centers and finally corners and then execute in reverse. So I don't know if solving corners 1st will be center safe all the times or is it even possible to solve the corners 1st as they rotate the centers?

Q--

WCA
2019MCGA02
hello! I just started doing 4BLD and currently use U2 for centers, a mixture of r2 and speed optimised 3-cycles for wings and 3-style for corners. I memo corners then wings then centers and then execute them in reverse order. I want to incorporate audio memo in my solves and I am trying to think if I can memo wings then centers and finally corners and then execute in reverse. So I don't know if solving corners 1st will be center safe all the times or is it even possible to solve the corners 1st as they rotate the centers?
If you use purely commutators/conjugates for corners, then the centers won't be affected because every move you make is reversed later. If you use any algs at all that aren't comms, you'll have to check whether those rotate centers or not. If you want to incorporate audio, I would try stretching it to fit all the center targets, and learn center comms. Center comms are the easiest out of all the piece types and you should be able to do it pretty easily.

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
So I don't know if solving corners 1st will be center safe all the times or is it even possible to solve the corners 1st as they rotate the centers?
3-style-corners is no problem, but a PLL-parity is: there you have to rotate one center (just count the U's of your parity-alg). You'll have to wait for solving a PLL-parity (and of course an OLL-parity) till the centers are solved (at best you would do this at the end of the solve - and cross your legs after memo to remember it inthe end!) because it swaps center-pieces on top. You can see it, if you do an "f" then the parity-alg and then "f'".

I memo/exe like you suggest it, but I'm no pro - pretty sure though that I saw a 6bld-solve of Cale Shoon where he exed corners first and PLL-parity last.

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you use purely commutators/conjugates for corners, then the centers won't be affected because every move you make is reversed later. If you use any algs at all that aren't comms, you'll have to check whether those rotate centers or not. If you want to incorporate audio, I would try stretching it to fit all the center targets, and learn center comms. Center comms are the easiest out of all the piece types and you should be able to do it pretty easily.
Oh thanks! I purely use comms for corners so it's not a problem now. Also I just started 4BLD and today was my second success with a time of 8:46 :) So I will eventually try to learn center comms once I get comfortable with my center memo(as it is currently the hardest part for me). Also do top 4BLDers use audio centers? Center targets seems to be a lot for me.