• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best Megaminx comparison

Which of the following is the best megaminx without considering their prices?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BMcD308

I am not voting, because I have only 2 of the 4 listed puzzles (the V2M and V2LM). But I have pretty big hands (US XL glove size), and even the V2LM feels very small to me. I would love a V2XXLM, I guess. For the adult market in the US, I think GAN made their Megaminx too small. But I'm guessing GAN knows whether adults in the US are the primary purchasers of their puzzles, and they sized it accordingly.

WCA
2023FUKU01
I am not voting, because I have only 2 of the 4 listed puzzles (the V2M and V2LM). But I have pretty big hands (US XL glove size), and even the V2LM feels very small to me. I would love a V2XXLM, I guess. For the adult market in the US, I think GAN made their Megaminx too small. But I'm guessing GAN knows whether adults in the US are the primary purchasers of their puzzles, and they sized it accordingly.
Megaminx size comparison
X-Man Galaxy v1: 32mm
X-Man Galaxy v2m: 30.5mm
X-Man Galaxy v2Lm: 31.7mm
GAN Megaminx: 33.0mm
YJ MGC Megaminx: 34.0mm

Last edited:
WCA
2023FUKU01
The YJ MGC Megaminx may suit you since it has a larger size.

BMcD308

I have spent some time with the YJ MGC and the Galaxy V2LM. I prefer the YJ MGC. While the YJ is not much bigger, it feels much bigger, and it does not have as much tendency to make unintentional partial moves when I am holding it. I also prefer its ridges, which are only on the outsides of the corners rather than being all the way around the perimeter of each piece.

The thing I like most about the Galaxy is that the edge pieces are a little wider right at the edge - they are not as pointy as the edges on the YJ. This makes it seem a little easier to find edge pieces when I am feverishly looking around on the cube for a particular edge.

Take what I say with a grain of salt - it takes me a solid 8 minutes to solve a megaminx, with the bulk of that time spent cursing and looking all over the thing for the piece I need next. When I think about the 27.xx world record solve, I am humbled by the fact that I routinely spend more time than that turning the puzzle in my hands trying to find a single piece that is hidden off on some far away face.

WCA
2023FUKU01
I have a few megaminxes (megaminxi?) and have found that nothing without ridges suits me. I would take a QiHeng over a magnetic concave Galaxy any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
I have a magnetic QiHeng S megaminx. Although I can't really feel the magnets, the puzzle is a lot more stable after magnetization. The chance of making unintentional partial moves is greatly reduced.
I have spent some time with the YJ MGC and the Galaxy V2LM. I prefer the YJ MGC. While the YJ is not much bigger, it feels much bigger, and it does not have as much tendency to make unintentional partial moves when I am holding it. I also prefer its ridges, which are only on the outsides of the corners rather than being all the way around the perimeter of each piece.

The thing I like most about the Galaxy is that the edge pieces are a little wider right at the edge - they are not as pointy as the edges on the YJ. This makes it seem a little easier to find edge pieces when I am feverishly looking around on the cube for a particular edge.

Take what I say with a grain of salt - it takes me a solid 8 minutes to solve a megaminx, with the bulk of that time spent cursing and looking all over the thing for the piece I need next. When I think about the 27.xx world record solve, I am humbled by the fact that I routinely spend more time than that turning the puzzle in my hands trying to find a single piece that is hidden off on some far away face.
Good to hear that you love the YJ MGC Megaminx. Happy cubing!

Last edited:

GAN 356 X

I've got the X-man design Lux set, which is handy to try out different grip styles. although it isn't magnetic, it has a great feel and corner cuts way over 45 degrees.

my friend has the qiyi qiheng Megaminx, which for its price I absolutely awesome. it is smooth and buttery, and with magnets it would be a main killer

WCA
2023FUKU01
I've got the X-man design Lux set, which is handy to try out different grip styles. although it isn't magnetic, it has a great feel and corner cuts way over 45 degrees.

my friend has the qiyi qiheng Megaminx, which for its price I absolutely awesome. it is smooth and buttery, and with magnets it would be a main killer
I have magnetized my QiHeng S Megaminx with 5*1.5 in the centres, and 4*2 in the edges. I can't feel the click of the magnets, but magnets help a lot on keeping the megaminx in shape. It is quite heavy though.

Last edited:

GAN 356 X

I have magnetized my QiHeng S Megaminx with 5*1.5 in the centres, and 4*2 in the edges. I can't feel the click of the magnets, but magnets help a lot on keeping the megaminx in shape. It is quite heavy though.

Catching was a major problem on the qiyi megaminx, still I firmly believe it is the best budget megaminx, and the best budget option from qiyi

TheCube4226

WCA
2018SEGA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
X-Man Galaxy v2m has long been the best megaminx on the market. However, GAN has released the GAN Megaminx recently. So, which one is the best?
I honestly prefer the turning and magnetic strength on the GAN (I own one). The only problem with it is grip. It has almost a matte finish on the plastic and it lacks ridges which I believe are a massive downfall of the puzzle. However, I still use it as my main on the Galaxy V2M (I have both the sculpted and concave version), MGC Megaminx, and LM

Status
Not open for further replies.