• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

being led off to scam site when I go on here

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have speedsolving as one of my tabs and occasionally I have been led off to a site called rg.shark which then goes through some strange stuff so i can't just go back, it then has offered me stuff such as the new iPhone X for beta testing and it has told me there is a virus on my phone and to click here to remove it, both are clearly scams, do any of the moderators know anything about this?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
We did notice your question and have been discussing it, but we're unaware of anything that should be able to cause this. We certainly hope it is not due to anything actually on our site. Anything you can do to narrow down the specific events that lead to this might be helpful. I'm sorry to hear you're having this trouble.

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
We did notice your question and have been discussing it, but we're unaware of anything that should be able to cause this. We certainly hope it is not due to anything actually on our site. Anything you can do to narrow down the specific events that lead to this might be helpful. I'm sorry to hear you're having this trouble.
I have multiple tabs open and one of them is the speedsolving forum, occasionally when i have switched tabs, I then switch back to speedsolving forum and about 4 or 5 times now this has happened. It could be due to google ads but I doubt it, the only other option I can think of is Firefox having problems, you haven't been hacked or anything?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have had this a couple times on my phone (an LG G2 with Chrome) as well. Never on any computer though.

Not sure if the site it leads me to is also called rg.shark, but I've had weird sites that make my phone vibrate and tell me I have a virus. For me, it's not usually when I switch tabs; usually I'll just be scrolling through a thread and all of a sudden I'm redirected to one of those pages. I'm always able to close it down and return to Speedsolving safely though. It's probably only ever happened to me 5-10 times, but I'm always browsing Speedsolving when it occurs (at least as far as I can remember).

MattP98

WCA
2016PRES04
Same problem here, at times the site becomes unusable on Android for me with every page being more likely than not to redirect to rg.shark with no option to return. This has probably only been happening for a week or two, and seems to have died down (but not died off) in the past few days. I don't typically use more than one tab on my phone, and a virus scan suggests it's not my end. I have noticed it happens more later in the evening for me (UK) which is probably closer to peak for mainland US, though this may be coincidental

SpeedCuber71

WCA
2014BHAT09
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know if this is related or not and haven't read all the comments above but recently when i tried visitng the forums form my phone, it said ''Your IP address has been blocked''.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I have speedsolving as one of my tabs and occasionally I have been led off to a site called rg.shark which then goes through some strange stuff so i can't just go back, it then has offered me stuff such as the new iPhone X for beta testing and it has told me there is a virus on my phone and to click here to remove it, both are clearly scams, do any of the moderators know anything about this?
When did this issue start? Does it happen every time? Delete the bookmark and re-add it. Are any other sites affected or just Speedsolving.com?