• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

brododragon

CFOP is the easiest method to learn from beginners and the fastest method at least in official results. It is also the only good method if you want to solve 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, and will be easier to learn Megaminx with. Also a lot easier to do one handed as you don't need a table like you would with Roux.
CFOP is easiest to learn from beginners method because it essentially builds off of what you learned in beginners method. It is also the best method if you are interested in big cubes. I personally haven't tried other methods because CFOP works so well for me and got me to average sub 9 seconds
I would disagree on that if you start with beginners method just because CFOP is pretty much the most similar to beginners method. But if you're talking about learning them from scratch, I wouldn't disagree
I've spent around 15 minutes picking apart your statements and disproving them, but then I realized I am accomplishing nothing except repeating myself over and over again from previous occasions like this.

The moral of the story is, everyone has already heard you arguments, but they aren't adding anything new to the story. Let this beginner find his own method with whatever knowledge he chooses to work with; if she/he regrets his decisions, they can always switch. People have made CFOP to Petrus switches in weeks and only lose a second or two.

brododragon

I tried but like its hard for me I dont know if its just my small brain or what
It's not being small-brained, it's just starting back at square one. It's probably going to be as hard (or harder, because the lack of resources) to learn other methods as it was to learn to solve the cube in the first place.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've spent around 15 minutes picking apart your statements and disproving them, but then I realized I am accomplishing nothing except repeating myself over and over again from previous occasions like this.

The moral of the story is, everyone has already heard you arguments, but they aren't adding anything new to the story. Let this beginner find his own method with whatever knowledge he chooses to work with; if she/he regrets his decisions, they can always switch. People have made CFOP to Petrus switches in weeks and only lose a second or two.
okay, I'll confess I've been biased towards CFOP lately when recommending methods. I've tried not to be on this thread. I think the pros of CFOP that it is an easy transition from LBL and that it is great if you're interested in big cubes should not be ignored. Other methods like Roux have fewer moves but are harder to turn fast. In addition, they require more inspection which is why they aren't as good for big cubes. There's a trade off for each method you learn. If you want to get in to big cubes, then CFOP is the way to go. If you want to do only 3x3, there are a few methods that are arguably but not yet proven to be as good or slightly better than CFOP.

@Owen Morrison @Micah Morrison @brododragon @Etotheipi
I thought we figured this out... we refer the member to the thread that brododragon linked and have that be the end of it, right?
yeah...sure... if there's a revised version of that thread that gives an equal representation of each method

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've learned f2l I just cant force pll algs in my head
yeah that is the hardest part. Try dividing it into segments, for example, in the PLL alg T perm. which is R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' Think of it as (R U R' U') drill that 50 times or so and then move to the next part: (R' F R2) drill that 50 times. Then drill (U' R' U') 50 times. And finally drill (R U R' F') 50 times. Then you can just execute the PLL algorithm by doing those four sequences.

learn 2 look OLL and PLL first. These algorithms are generally easier to learn at first and you don't have to learn as much as them. Here's a good resource made by one of the best speedcubers in the world. https://www.cubeskills.com/uploads/pdf/tutorials/4-look-last-layer.pdf
ONE OF THE BEST SPEEDCUBERS??? Are you saying he isn't THE fastest?

Namio

learn 2 look OLL and PLL first. These algorithms are generally easier to learn at first and you don't have to learn as much as them. Here's a good resource made by one of the best speedcubers in the world. https://www.cubeskills.com/uploads/pdf/tutorials/4-look-last-layer.pdf
Ty man you didn't have to do that but I am also going to
Buccaneer Bonanza 2020
link: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/competitions/BuccaneerBonanza2020 and thats why I wanted to learn a fast way to solve a 3x3

brododragon

I've learned f2l I just cant force pll algs in my head
I would recommend 4LLL if you're trying to learn 2LLL right now. I wrote up some tips but it became so large I decided to give it it's own thread:

D1zzy

Yea, I would definitely say that CFOP is the easiest (and arguably the fastest) to use because there are so many tricks and tips online because of its popularity. I'm a little biased towards CFOP because I use it, but this is just an opinion from a random guy on the internet so idk.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Uhm.. CFOP will be much easier to learn from beginners because it is based off what you already know, and I think methods that use EO like ZZ and Petrus are quite a bit harder to learn than methods like CFOP.

EDIT: Also, that is a terrible source for beginners, it is very biased against CFOP and does not say the benefits of CFOP like that it is the fastest for big cubes. I am pretty sure @ProStar is working on a new and better one.
Your only argument to say this thread is terrible and very biased against CFOP is that the quotes from the best section has somebody saying Roux would be better, and that it doesn't mention anything about CFOP being good for 4x4. Honestly, I don’t think that quote makes it very biased and a terrible resource. And this is a guide for 3x3 methods, not 4x4... I don’t think I should be told that CFOP is the best simply because it is the best for big cubes (which, by the way, we don’t have any proof for).

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your only argument to say this thread is terrible and very biased against CFOP is that the quotes from the best section has somebody saying Roux would be better, and that it doesn't mention anything about CFOP being good for 4x4. Honestly, I don’t think that quote makes it very biased and a terrible resource. And this is a guide for 3x3 methods, not 4x4... I don’t think I should be told that CFOP is the best simply because it is the best for big cubes (which, by the way, we don’t have any proof for).
Okay the title says "Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method"
It doesn't say that this is only for 3x3, beginners need to realize that the method they choose to speedsolve with for 3x3 might not be ideal for speedsolving for other events. Roux has proven itself to be a very fast 3x3 method, there is no proof that it is faster than CFOP, and there is very little and not concrete proof that CFOP is faster. I think these two are equal for 3x3. But, is there anyone who even averages sub 30 on 4x4 with Meyer's? I mean MAYBE just every fast Roux user for 3x3 just doesn't care about big cubes, but I really think it is because the methods aren't fast for big cubes. There is proof that Roux is equal with CFOP for 3x3, but there isn't any kind of proof that would suggest it is equal for bigger cubes.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Almost done with the new version! I won't be able to add sections for all the methods(obviously), but I wanted to briefly highlight some of the more popular ones. What do you think the most popular methods are other than CFOP, Roux, ZZ, and Petrus?

You know, why are we getting @ProStar to do a new one? A moderator could easily edit this post.

Because it would take just as much work, and the staff probably have better things to do than I do :p

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Almost done with the new version! I won't be able to add sections for all the methods(obviously), but I wanted to briefly highlight some of the more popular ones. What do you think the most popular methods are other than CFOP, Roux, ZZ, and Petrus?

Because it would take just as much work, and the staff probably have better things to do than I do :p
Maybe Waterman? I don't know how popular it is but it seems to have good potential.