• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Ok, I'm working on the updated guide. I need info/help with these components of the guide:

CFOP
Quotes from the best - Preferably something you know Feliks, Max, or other great cubers said about CFOP(preferably not Antoine saying CFOP is bad...)
Resources - Different resources, basically the same as the current one except more updated ones
Variants - Couldn't think of many variants for CFOP, any ideas?

Roux
Quotes from the best - There are already some from Alex Lau, but I'd like some more recent ones
Resources - I don't know much about different resources
Variants - same as CFOP

ZZ
Quotes from the best - I already have some from Phil, but if there are any other good ones then I'd like to add them
Resources - I don't know anything about where ZZ resources are located

Petrus
Quotes - There are some from Erik Johnson, maybe some newer ones(@Tao Yu?)
Resources - Are there even that many resources for Petrus?
Variants - I got a couple(I got you covered WCC), but I was wondering if there were any others

ketchupcuber

Faz has already stated he never tried other methods.
you dont have to have tried other methods to explain why you like the method

Ok, I'm working on the updated guide. I need info/help with these components of the guide:

CFOP
Quotes from the best - Preferably something you know Feliks, Max, or other great cubers said about CFOP(preferably not Antoine saying CFOP is bad...)
Resources - Different resources, basically the same as the current one except more updated ones

Roux
Quotes from the best - There are already some from Alex Lau, but I'd like some more recent ones
Variants - same as CFOP

ZZ
Quotes from the best - I already have some from Phil, but if there are any other good ones then I'd like to add them

Petrus
Variants - I got a couple(I got you covered WCC), but I was wondering if there were any others
with cfop variants you could mention subsets such as wv zbll coll

WCA
2017OWEN01

CFOP

Roux
Variants - same as CFOP

ZZ

Petrus
could you do one for leor as well

CFOP

Roux
Variants - same as CFOP

ZZ

Petrus
ZZ resources :
1. Papasmurf's website
2. Conrad Rider's website
3. Phil Yu's video playlist
4. Problem Solved's video playlist.
Add colums and corners first with different variants.
Also list LEOR as a petrus variant.
roux variants : Pinky Pie?
CFOP variants : ZB, VH, stuff like that.
If you want more ZZ quotes you could ask @PapaSmurf as he is sub-10 and is one of the fastest ZZ users.

WCA
2017OWEN01
ZZ resources :
1. Papasmurf's website
If you want more ZZ quotes you could ask @PapaSmurf as he is sub-10 and is one of the fastest ZZ users.
don't list leor as a petrus variant their different methods

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
1. Papasmurf's website

Can't find his website, what's the link?

Are those variants of those methods though? CF isn't ZZ at all

ZZ resources :
1. Papasmurf's website

Added the other stuff

Can't find his website, what's the link?

Are those variants of those methods though? CF isn't ZZ at all

Added the other stuff
1. https://sites.google.com/view/zzmethod/
2. Yes, variants of those methods, stuff like SSC and PCMS and columns for noobs and intermediate colums and ortega, guimond, waterman, dunno, stuff like that.
Also you could add Heise and LEOR as improvements to petrus.
EDIT : Oh yeah, and don't call it a beginner's guide, as more advanced solvers like too look at this.

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don’t really know of any fast Petrus users who main the method, apart from @2180161 who has taken a break from cubing so...

Efficiency comes first with Petrus. Petrus doesn’t have many big advantages compared to, say CFOP apart from that, so practise your block solutions A LOT

Don’t be demotivated with your improvement rate, it’ll almost certainly be harder to improve at Petrus than with CFOP, but nothing comes easy in life

For Petrus, especially when you’re averaging in between 20-40 seconds, do LOTS AND LOTS of slow solving. This will help with time demotivation issues, lookahead and block efficiency

Never stop learning new techniques, every one you learn contributes to your knowledge of blockbuilding, and in turn, movecount and speed

Movecount over TPS, always

Doing 25 FMC solves is better than doing 100 speedsolves to improve in general. Speedsolve to get used to new skills and techniques, not to get faster

Learn to be able to come up with solutions to a block almost immediately after you've seen the location of the pieces. You can actually train this by doing individual steps without inspection time, to throw yourself into it, with no time to lookahead

Compare not your cheesburgers to others’ cheeseburgers, but compare to your cheeseburgers in the past

Or you could just use Petrus

Feel free to pick out any which are actually relevant lol.

found this useful

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
CFOP is the easiest method to learn from beginners and the fastest method at least in official results. It is also the only good method if you want to solve 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, and will be easier to learn Megaminx with. Also a lot easier to do one handed as you don't need a table like you would with Roux.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
CFOP is easiest to learn from beginners method because it essentially builds off of what you learned in beginners method. It is also the best method if you are interested in big cubes. I personally haven't tried other methods because CFOP works so well for me and got me to average sub 9 seconds

Etotheipi

CFOP is the easiest method to learn from beginners and the fastest method at least in official results. It is also the only good method if you want to solve 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, and will be easier to learn Megaminx with. Also a lot easier to do one handed as you don't need a table like you would with Roux.
"Only good method for..." of the ones we know it may be the best, but we may find other methods that are better.

brododragon

Refer to here:
All of these are have a pretty equal difficulty of learning.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Refer to here:
All of these are have a pretty equal difficulty of learning.
Uhm.. CFOP will be much easier to learn from beginners because it is based off what you already know, and I think methods that use EO like ZZ and Petrus are quite a bit harder to learn than methods like CFOP.

EDIT: Also, that is a terrible source for beginners, it is very biased against CFOP and does not say the benefits of CFOP like that it is the fastest for big cubes. I am pretty sure @ProStar is working on a new and better one.