• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Adjusting Tension

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have 2 cubes right now...1 is nice and loose at the beginning, and the other is plain stiff. I've played with it for a couple month, and it's still stiff, and I tried to lube it, but it's still not working. Even cooking oil doesn't help very much.

Is there a way to loosen the tension of the cube? Please!

Harris

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I picked up a can of Silicone Spray at Big R (Ace Hardware owns it I think) for $3.39. I rotate the U face 45 degrees, push the middle piece up a little bit was I can fit the tube in, and spray it. Then solve the cube once, and let it dry for awhile. Come back and try it again, and see if it is more loose. If not, take it apart and sand down the plastic and re-spray. Good luck,
Pat

Scott

DO NOT SPRAY ONTO A FRESHLY SANDED SURFACE!

You must first gloss over the surface so that it is smooth. Silicone on a rough or not-smooth surface will acualy work it in reverse.

Sniph

I had the same problem as you, but I was able to solve it by sanding it with a process I learned from lapping heatsinks.

I first found a flat service, preferably a slap of marble or glass.

Then, you need multiple types of sand paper, something from like a 200 grit, and 500-800 grit, then a very fine 1000-1500 grit.

First, sand down each cubie with a 200 grit, dont remove to much, but remove enough. Do this on top of the glass. It helps to tape the sand paper down.

Second, repeat the step above with the 500-800 grit.

Third, now with 1000-1500.

Once you hvae done those steps, the cubies will be very smooth. I recomend then washing the cubies to remove all excess cube matter. Once it is good and dry, put the cube back together and lube.

anime_file

What if the problem isn't with the pieces, but the center core itself? The center is very stiff when trying to turn unlike my other cubes. I've lubed it many times and it is already as broken in as its gonna get. Any tips?

MasterofRubix

What i did was i switched the centers of my very loose speedcube with my very stiff brand new toys r us cube. the looseness and stiffness balances out and now i have 2 really good speedcube. not too loose but still very fast.

The super fast cube that looks brand new becomes my speedcube, and the older looking cube with the stiff center, is fast enough to not get me frustrated when solving so i just play around with it. Makes your fingers stronger and "unstiffens" it.