• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Accomplishment Thread vs Accomplishment Subforum

Do you prefer the accomplishment thread or the accomplishment subforum?

• Keep both, although I prefer the accomplishment subforum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've heard nothing but negative things about the way the accomplishment section of the forum was changed. So, let's have a vote. Here are my thoughts, which I posted in the accomplishment thread before it was closed.

Having a bunch of tiny accomplishment threads instead of this will ruin it. The biggest reason I like this thread is that there's constant activity on it. Someone is always acheiving something and posting it here. Making a bunch of smaller, more specific threads will dilute the "people accomplishing stuff" effect that this thread has. If you guys really feel like the forum needs to be changed in this way, I'm not going to ***** about it too much, but please let this thread and the accomplishment subforum coexist, rather than replacing this thread with that.

The reason cited for replacing this thread with the accomplishment subforum was to separate accomplishments by puzzle. Other than a spat about people posting slidy puzzle accomplishments and not using spoilers even when they were obviously needed, I have never heard someone complain about the accomplishment thread not being separated by puzzle. I like that all puzzles can be posted about in here. I like seeing accomplishments on various puzzles, some of which I've never tried or have no interest in personally. I love the variety. Having threads for specific puzzles is a great idea, but again, I don't think it's a replacement for this thread.

In the future, moderators and admins, if you want to change the forum like this, perhaps have the forum members vote on it beforehand?

EDIT: whoever put this in help & support, please move it back to accomplishments. The entire point of this is to gauge what the people who use the accomplishment thread a lot think, and that area of the forum is much more active. Less people will see this thread over here.

Last edited:

Bhargav777

OH friendly please
WCA
2011NARA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, it feels annoying to me as well as the accomplishment thread was my favorite thread on the forum. I already stopped going to the blindfold accomplishment thread frequently ever since it was separated. Having all accomplishments under a single thread makes me feel better, as it brings specific cubers like OH-ers, BLD-ers and skewbers closer and share their ideas along with their accomplishments.

Last edited:

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
It doesn't affect me very much, but aside from people posting all their PBs in a table, the thread was mostly throwaway posts. Going to a specific sub-forum makes if feel like it's not worth it.

WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, it feels annoying to me as well as accomplishment thread was my favorite thread on the forum. I already stopped going to the blindfold accomplishment thread frequently ever since it was separated. Having all accomplishments under a single thread makes me feel better, as it brings specific cubers like OH-ers, BLD-ers and skewbers closer and share their ideas along with their accomplishments.

I agree with that and sometime in the Accomplishment thread other members helped others improve . Sometimes I learned some things as stuff like who is improving at what puzzle. Also I liked seeing how the form members are improving at certain puzzles.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
One of the parts of the change that I really like is the example solve subforum. That's a good idea, especially since everything but the 3x3 solve thread get buried.

A part that I don't like is the one answer question subforum. It's harder for a forum newbie to navigate, since it's now more complex than just having a single thread for it. It's OK for the people who've been here a long time, but the newbies will have more one answer questions than the forum veterans, and the one answer question thread/subforum should cater to them.

I voted for "keep both, but I prefer the accomplishment thread."

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
I think voting here will be biased since people will be more likely to open this thread if they cared that they were separated.

I'm using tapatalk so I can't see the poll. I guess I should go over to the site and see it.

Edit - Since the forum switched over to a phone friendly design I can no longer so polls there either (I might've missed something). You're right about this not being in the correct section though. It doesn't even appear on the front page, however if it were in the accomplishment sub forum it still wouldn't.

Last edited:

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think voting here will be biased since people will be more likely to open this thread if they cared that they were separated.
The format of the accomplishment threads/forums should cater to those who have a strong preference one way or the other, rather than those who don't care much. Those who have a strong preference for the new format will probably defend it. Plus, the mods and admins are on board with the new format. They'll likely be reluctant to change it back, and that'll counterbalance the bias of this thread just fine. :p

I'm not too worried about the people in this thread being biased. The feedback on this thread in the accomplishment forum was just as negative as the feedback here. If there's anywhere in the forum that people who like the accomplishment forum would lurk, it would be the accomplishment forum. I don't think they exist!

I posted a link to this poll in the "welcome to the accomplishment forum" thread, to try to direct some of them to this.
Bring back all the failure threads! Aaah those were the days... :eek:
I've actually wondered about that. How come the blindsolvers get one but we don't? I'd be up for opening a single megathread for fails.

EDIT: 666th post. So metal, right Dene? ;)

Last edited:

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh man we used to have failure threads for everything. It was totally badass.

Was it common to see "I failed 1x1 cos of parity"?

I've actually wondered about that. How come the blindsolvers get one but we don't? I'd be up for opening a single megathread for fails.

Probably because failures is one of the main differences in BLD. You don't know when it's not solved.

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think its up to you to decide whether or not to have this; the people belonging to a country don't suddenly come up with a new law, vote for it amongst themselves, and expect it to me enacted. Sometimes it's simply not our call to make. You can't micromanage every aspect of your life.

Also, "nothing but negative things" is a gross over generalization. I have heard positive things.

And you seem to fail to address the pros of having an accomplishment subforum, (in debate this is known as dropping an argument, you are essentially admitting the opponent is right) such as server related issues, easier recognition of an accomplishment (I.e. I see a post in 3x3 acc. Thread, I'll click on that instead of pyra because I hate pyra), or a more organized way of looking back on one's accomplishments.

Last edited:

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think its up to you to decide whether or not to have this; the people belonging to a country don't suddenly come up with a new law, vote for it amongst themselves, and expect it to me enacted. Sometimes it's simply not our call to make. You can't micromanage every aspect of your life.
I get your point, but based on the poll about 3/4 of the users on here want it back to the way it was. They don't have to listen to him, and they might not. It doesn't hurt for him to try though right?

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I get your point, but based on the poll about 3/4 of the users on here want it back to the way it was. They don't have to listen to him, and they might not. It doesn't hurt for him to try though right?
Personally I think it's more of a public demonstration than anything, he could probably do as much good for his cause by emailing some admins/mods and presenting his case.