• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4x4 reduction + cross idea

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You sure? I remember one Chinese guy who held the WR did 3-2-2-2-3. I use it now.

He means Yau is the only k4-redux hybrid to use 3-2-2.

Some thoughts:
I am terrible at the first 3 cross edges
restricted centers can get annoying
3-2-2 is incredibly fast when you can ignore the entire left (or bottom) side of the cube.
I've taken to doing 2-4-3 for the last 9 edges. I 2-pair the final cross edge and place it, set up and make one pair with r/r' (often this does not even require setup, you just have to make sure your initial slice is in the right direction), set up 3 pairs and slice back, then do the remaining 2 or 3 edges in one comm.

Not having to make the cross after edges pwns.
Forcing x-crosses pwns even more.

Last edited:

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What move counts are you (to everyone) getting for reduction + cross after finishing the first two centres?

For normal reduction + normal cross, I'm getting about 55-60, and with my method, I'm getting around 65-70.

I'm going to try Yau-C now...

mazei

WCA
2009AZRA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I doubt I'll be doing this method as the restriction on centers a real turn off point for me. I can't stand not being able to do centers freely.

As for the 1st 3 cross pieces, I kind of fail to see how it is significantly better than just doing redux then cross(yes I know that you finish the whole cross during pairing). I kind of have a problem with 3-2-2-2-3 now due to the time I take to form the first 3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this method is a beast in the right hands(Dan) but I think its not for me.

Jake Gouldon

YouTube
Visit Channel
You destroyed an already paired yellow-green edge in the video, I would have preserved it.

I find that doing 2 pairing is better, at least for me. What I do is do the first 4 (including the final cross edge), and place the cross edge. Then I place 2 other solved pairs in the back right and back left slots. Then the rest of the edge pairing is easier since I don't have to do any cube rotations.

Last edited:

miniGOINGS

Did you know that Richard Meyer has been using a method very similar to this for over a year? The only difference is that he solves all the remaining edges after centers using 2-at-a time, and instead of solving the last "cross" edge and placing it, he places the 2 corners to complete a 1x3x4, (since he solves Roux, he already has the first block built). It is essentially the same method, only sets up for Roux style instead of Fridrich.

Explain please :D!!

mazei

WCA
2009AZRA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you know that Richard Meyer has been using a method very similar to this for over a year? The only difference is that he solves all the remaining edges after centers using 2-at-a time, and instead of solving the last "cross" edge and placing it, he places the 2 corners to complete a 1x3x4, (since he solves Roux, he already has the first block built). It is essentially the same method, only sets up for Roux style instead of Fridrich.

Stadler method, look it up.

WCA
2009HONI01
YouTube
Visit Channel

false. Meyer's RouxRedux is nothing like stadler method. as explained by Patrick, it is basically solving a 1x3x4 block on the left after the first 2 centres, finish the rest of the centres, followed by avg pairing to reduce the cube into a 3x3. from here, solve roux style, and this method method provides an advantage for roux because there is a free 1x3x4 block after the reduction.
Stadler method is basically 1x3x4 block on L, 1x3x4 block on R, CMLL, centres, pair up edges with *comms* then roux finish. different methods.

mazei

WCA
2009AZRA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

false. Meyer's RouxRedux is nothing like stadler method. as explained by Patrick, it is basically solving a 1x3x4 block on the left after the first 2 centres, finish the rest of the centres, followed by avg pairing to reduce the cube into a 3x3. from here, solve roux style, and this method method provides an advantage for roux because there is a free 1x3x4 block after the reduction.
Stadler method is basically 1x3x4 block on L, 1x3x4 block on R, CMLL, centres, pair up edges with *comms* then roux finish. different methods.

Woops. Well in my head it went like this - Richard Meyer = Roux = Roux on big cubes = Stadler method. Didn't read the whole post and this kinda shows how much I don't know.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have an idea of how to get faster on the last 4 centres:

Solve the left half of 3 centres, now do an L move so that each cross piece is next to a half centre. Now you can solve the rest of what's left of the centres using r and U moves! :)

(I had this idea whilst chatting to Ibrahim on facebook :D)

miniGOINGS

So it's

1: L&R centers
2: Left 1x3x4 block
3: M-slice centers
4: Edge pairing
5: Right 1x3x4 block
6: Corners of the last layer
7: Last six dedges

are there any tutorials or advanced tips that you know of?

Last edited:

esquimalt1

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have an idea of how to get faster on the last 4 centres:

Solve the left half of 3 centres, now do an L move so that each cross piece is next to a half centre. Now you can solve the rest of what's left of the centres using r and U moves! :)

(I had this idea whilst chatting to Ibrahim on facebook :D)

Haha, yes! :D