• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4x4: No Odd Parity 3x3x3 Reduction?

dbeyer

So, I wanted to share this with you.

I picked up speedcubing on the 4x4x4 the end of the last year. And I found some interesting things. I hope it is of interest to you all.

Did you know that you don't need RBULURURUFRFLBR or Lucas Parity to solve the 4x4x4? Like ever.

There is a much better way to resolve the cube.

So Parity is a state in which we cannot solve the cube with 3x3x3 restrictions. Unfortunately, we have methods that keep us that certain state as we solve the cube.

Here is why, with Yau, the normal 3x3x3 reduction, we solve the Cross and all 6 centers. Then we use some F2L slots to pair up the last 8 edges. Then transition to F2L, OLL, PLL. What if you get odd parity (OLL parity) or even parity (PLL parity)? Well, like a typical solver, well we have an alg for that.

What if you could recognize it sooner and solve it faster?

Likewise, for Even Parity. You just blast through an algorithm on top of your 3x3x3 method. I think that we try to compensate for our inability to recognize parity with "really fast algs" on the chance that we do have parity.

And we always focus on doing everything right and quickly. But is that really the way?

So my question to you before I proceed is, what if you could skip Odd parity?

Would that technique be of interest to you?

Thom S.

There is a method to avoid Parity already by tracing dedges and solving accordingly but I am intrigued as to what your method does

dbeyer

Haha, farthest from the truth. The solutions are normally 7-8 moves And it is really easy to recognize and execute.

-First 2 Blocks (F2B)
-Next 2 Centers (N2C about 10 moves)
-LSEwings (Pairing + Parity Resolution about 20 moves)
-CmLL
-4a + Last 2 Centers (L2C)
-4bc-extended (some extra special solutions to 4c)