• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4x4 'K4' Method

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
The difference between this bump and all other bumps is that it was a genuine question about a pretty cool method. On the topic of 4x4 parity, you just really need to learn algs. You could technically just do a quarter turn of a slice move, but you would be much better off learning the algs.
Were are the algs?
i couldnt even find pure oll parity lol

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just had a couple of ideas for this method. Imma try some stuff then edit this post.

[EDIT]
Do Yau up to cross. Now solve F2L-1, then keyhole in the final 3 edges to solve F3L-1. Solve F2L of the final slot, CLL, then, using the empty uFR edge, keyhole in the rest of the edges until they’re all either solved or you have parity, then parity.

Last edited:

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As an aside I wouldn't recommend you learn algorithms and commutators exclusively from that site but rather mess around with things yourself / try to find other algorithms that you can execute well / have easier finger tricks / are more intuitive

These are some of the L2E comms I currently use, all rotation less and 2-gen ish

EDIT: little letters are only the slice.

4x4 Last 2 Edges:

OLL Parity
r U2 r U2 r' U2 r U2 l' U2 r U2 r' U2 l r2 U2 r'

PLL Parity
r2 U2 r U2 r2 U2 r2 U2 r U2 r2 U2

Oll & PLL
Negative

2 single edge flips
L - r U2 r U2 M' U2 r U2 r' U2 l U2 r2
R - l' U2 l' U2 M' U2 l' U2 l U2 r' U2 l2

2 single edge swaps
/ - r U2 r' U2 r' U2 l U2 r' U2 r U2 M' U2 r2 U2 r'
\ - l' U2 l U2 l U2 r' U2 l U2 l' U2 M' U2 l2 U2 l

2 split edge flips (checkerboard)
R - r U2 r2 U2 r' U2 r U2 r' U2 r2 U2 r
L - l' U2 l2 U2 l U2 l' U2 l U2 l2 U2 l'

2 swapped, 2 flipped
Flip on L - r U2 M' U2 r2 U2 r' U2 r U2 r' U2 r' U2 l U2 r'
Flip on R - l' U2 M' U2 l2 U2 l U2 l' U2 l U2 l U2 r' U2 l`

Last edited:

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
As an aside I wouldn't recommend you learn algorithms and commutators exclusively from that site but rather mess around with things yourself / try to find other algorithms that you can execute well / have easier finger tricks / are more intuitive

These are some of the L2E comms I currently use, all rotation less and 2-gen ish

4x4 Last 2 Edges:

OLL Parity
r U2 r U2 r' U2 r U2 l' U2 r U2 r' U2 l r2 U2 r'

PLL Parity
r2 U2 r U2 r2 U2 r2 U2 r U2 r2 U2

Oll & PLL
Negative

2 single edge flips
L - r U2 r U2 M' U2 r U2 r' U2 l U2 r2
R - l' U2 l' U2 M' U2 l' U2 l U2 r' U2 l2

2 single edge swaps
/ - r U2 r' U2 r' U2 l U2 r' U2 r U2 M' U2 r2 U2 r'
\ - l' U2 l U2 l U2 r' U2 l U2 l' U2 M' U2 l2 U2 l

2 split edge flips (checkerboard)
R - r U2 r2 U2 r' U2 r U2 r' U2 r2 U2 r
L - l' U2 l2 U2 l U2 l' U2 l U2 l2 U2 l'

2 swapped, 2 flipped
Flip on L - r U2 M' U2 r2 U2 r' U2 r U2 r' U2 r' U2 l U2 r'
Flip on R - l' U2 M' U2 l2 U2 l U2 l' U2 l U2 l U2 r' U2 l`
im going to learn Pll parity, than learn these (-=

your pll parity doesnt work because it disrupts CLL

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
FYI to all of you folks who are newer members, there was a follow-up thread in which there was a lot more discussion. For example, checkout all content under K4 Method Content in my cubing contributions post. (That's ALL content between the K4 Method Content and 3x3x3 Cube Content headings.)

As far as parity, you can check the links under nxnxn Rubik's Cube Parity Algorithm Content in my cubing contributions post.

And regarding commutators, yes, it's better for you to explore them yourself, but it wouldn't hurt to check out my video on introduction to commutators, as I generalize the 8 move Niklas commutator to solve/generate cases on the 4x4x4, but also of course (for the majority of the video) show you how to solve the entire 3x3x3 pretty much with just commutators (some with a few premoves).

But there is a lot more to parity and commutators than I will discuss here (unless prompted with more specifics), but I bet this recent post of mine on the twistypuzzles forum should be an eye opener for almost everyone. And for parity, just follow the links next to algorithms (to the right of them in the form [44], for example) on the 4x4x4 parity algorithms speedsolving wiki page (which I wrote). If you haven't seen that page, I would encourage you to read the introduction. (And yeah, the Visit Channel link in my profile goes to an actual YouTube channel. In there, I have a few playlists of parity algorithm derivations.)

Last edited:

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
FYI to all of you folks who are newer members, there was a follow-up thread in which there was a lot more discussion.

Alas, my former account will forever be the last post in that thread, I hope!
(I no longer own the email address associated with the account so I don't use it)

For example, checkout all content under K4 Method Content in my cubing contributions post. (That's ALL content between the K4 Method Content and 3x3x3 Cube Content headings.)

Yikes, clearly past-me didn't notice any of this stuff because it's pure gold for anyone wanting to learn this method or even those already experienced with it just wanting to expand their knowledge, thanks!

Ayy yo I switched to K4 bout a month ago, pretty fun.

switched to it a couple days ago getting a grasp of comms rn,
average like 1:05-1:10

The hoard grows! Yay \o/

If we keep going at this rate then maybe by the year 3000 we'll make up 1% of the community :D

I switched to it back in 2011 mostly because I sucked at edge pairing, and still do (my 6x6 with Freeslice is almost a minute worse than with k4) as well as 3x3 in general so having a direct solve method totally not derived from 3x3 in any way that you could "grow into" per-se was really appealing to me and still remains this way.

Last edited:

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait you're the guy that has the minecraft PFP?

Yes, that was I, many years ago.. back when I was merely interested in MineCraft because Redstone was cool.. Nowadays I rarely play MineCraft but I have used that knowledge well because I am now studying Boolean Logic alongside Natural and Formal language theory as part of my Computer Science Masters Degree which ironically also links quite well to Speedsolving :)

Back on topic I've been firing through this post and it really is amazing.. I wouldn't be suprised if by the end of the year I'm fully converted to 2-gen ELL as opposed to my current intuitive approach.

EDIT: Some junk so far, using the naming from Thom's site and Mowla's Grouping.. I'm still reverse engineering some but I'll update it as I go
EDIT: List it now complete, let me know if there are any errors.

Group 1: (Trivial but for the sake of completeness)

3_1 - [R U R' U', r] -> R U R' U' r U R U' Rw'
3_2 - [r, R U R' U'] -> Rw U R' U' r' U R U' R'
3_3 - [L' U' L U, l'] -> L' U' L U l' U' L' U Lw
3_4 - [l', L' U' L U] -> Lw' U' L U l' U' L' U L

Group 2: (Semi trivial)

3_5 - [R U2 R': [R' U' R U, r']] -> R U2 R2 U' R U r' U' R' U R Rw U2 R'
3_6 - [R U2 R': [r', R' U' R U]] -> R U2 Rw' R' U' R U r U' R' U R2 U2 R'
3_7 - [R U2 R': [R U R' U', r]] -> R U' R' U' r U R U' r' U2 R'
3_8 - [R U2 R': [r, R U R' U']] -> R U2 r U R' U' r' U R U R'

Group 3:

3_9 - [R' U' R U': [r', U' R' U R]] -> R' U' R U' r' U' R' U r U' R U2 R' U R
3_10 - [R' U' R U': [U' R' U R, r']] -> R' U R U2 R' U r' U' R U r U R' U' R
3_11 - [R' U R U: [U R' U' R, r]] -> R' U R U2 R' U' r U R U' r' U' R' U' R
3_12 - [R' U R U: [r, U R' U' R]] -> R' U R U r U R' U' r' U R U2 R' U' R

Group 4:

3_13 - [Rw' U2 Rw: [r', R' U' R U]] -> Rw' U R U r U' R' U r' U2 Rw
3_14 - [Rw' U2 Rw: [R' U' R U, r']] -> Rw' U2 r U' R U r' U' R' U' Rw
3_15 - [Rw U2 Rw': [r, R U R' U']] -> Rw U' R' U' r' U R U' r U2 Rw'
3_16 - [Rw U2 Rw': [R U R' U', r]] -> Rw U2 r' U R' U' r U R U Rw'

Group 5:

3_17 - [r' U' r U': [R' U' R U, r']] -> r' U' r U' R' U' R U r' U' R' U Rw U r' U r
3_18 - [r' U' r U': [r', R' U' R U]] -> r' U' r U' Rw' U' R U r U' R' U R U r' U r
3_19 - [r2 U' r2: [r, R U R' U']] -> r2 U' r2 Rw U R' U' r' U R U' R' r2 U r2
3_20 - [r2 U' r2: [R U R' U', r]] -> r2 U' r2 R U R' U' r U R U' Rw' r2 U r2

Group 6:

3_21 - [r2 U': [r', R U R' U']] -> r2 U' r' R U R' U' r U R U' R' U r2
3_22 - [r2 U': [R U R' U', r']] -> r2 U' R U R' U' r' U R U' R' r U r2
3_23 - [U2 r2 U2: [r, R' U' R U]] -> U2 r2 U2 r R' U' R U r' U' R' U R U2 r2 U2
3_24 - [U2 r2 U2: [R' U' R U, r]] -> U2 r2 U2 R' U' R U r U' R' U R r' U2 r2 U2

Group 7:

3_25 - [r2 U2: [r', R U R' U']] -> r2 U2 r' R U R' U' r U R U' R' U2 r2
3_26 - [r2 U2: [R U R' U', r']] -> r2 U2 R U R' U' r' U R U' R' r U2 r2
3_27 - [U2 r2 U: [R' U' R U, r]] -> U2 r2 U r R' U' R U r' U' R' U R U' r2 U2
3_28 - [U2 r2 U: [r, R' U' R U]] -> U2 r2 U R' U' R U r U' R' U R r' U' r2 U2